17" Rear Wheel conversion help

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by billymild, Oct 29, 2017.

1. billymild

billymild Member

I have tried to find as much information as I can about this subject but I can't find anything that is start to finish.

Bike: 1985 RZ350 with FZR600 Suspension. I am looking to convert the rear 18" wheel to a 17" wheel. I have a Katana 750 rear wheel. Its a 17" x 3.5" wheel. So it should fit without issue, but I need to know what needs to be made. I assume just some spacer and new wheel bearings? Has anyone done this onversion?

http://fzronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=753

https://webshop.abfbearings.com/Bearing/63032RS1C3SKFDeepGrooveBallBearingSingleRow/230714

http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=suzuki_rear_rim_swap

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I believe you will need a GS500 hub to make it work (if you have 5 sprocket studs). I used a 1989 1100 wheel (with 6 sprocket studs) and had to mill 10mm off the sprocket hub face, and then flip the 520 front sprocket around (put the raised lip toward the engine). Then it was a matter of making spacers and using the GSXR1100 caliper hanger. Not too difficult, but I don't have any more information than that as I did my swap about a dozen years ago and the FZR is long gone. The ONE bike that I regret selling.

This all assumes that the RZ sprocket alignment is the same as the FZR600 alignment.

3. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

just go with the entire gs500 wheel. 4x17. Better rim for the 150 your going to squeeze in there. thats what I run on mine. Sorry, I bought it that way, so no idea on help. (fz600 swinger too)

4. RZ Racer

I do run a 10mm offset cs sprocket

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I thought the gs500 was a 3.5" rear........I thought thats what deterred me from using that rim on an FZR

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The GS500/Katana 600-750 first gen is a 3" front/3.5" rear. the Katana second gen (1998?) is 3.5" front/4.5" rear. The Bandit 400 is a 4" rear, straight swap into a GS500 (IIRC). 1989 GSXR1100/750 are 3.5" front and 4.5" rear, and they bumped it to 5.5" rear on both models starting in 1990 (again, IIRC).

7. britx303

Another fairly quick swap: cbr600 F2 rim using a vf500 sprocket carrier keeps the sprockets damn near lined up. Swap the bearings for ones with a smaller ID for the fzr axle. FZR600 caliper hanger( you will only use the top half of the disc though) A 1/8" washer works for spacing on the chain side,but you have to get a new spacer turned to fit on the brake side. Theres a little bit of fettling here and there,but thats a quick way in a nutshell thats mostly just buying the parts.

8. britx303

Oh wait......woops,I thought this was for an actual FZR.....gotta stop skimming the first posts:confused:

V5 Racer likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

and that same rear 4.5" was used on gen 1 and 2 SV650 (bearing/spacers changed for G2) so there's about a zillion of them for sale CHEAP

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Good to know. I believe that 'Suzuki' translates to "economy of scale."

11. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

If someone needs a 98+ katana 600 17x4.5 rear wheel I have one taking up space in my garage. I'd sell it for $50 + shipping.

I'm near Austin TX.

12. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Depending on the difference in axle diameter I might suggest that you not change the bearings, have the spacers made with attached sleeves so they are captured in the bearings. This makes Sprocket changes / wheel on and off a BREEZE !!!! I did my RD400 this way and it is SOOO NICE...

13. billymild

billymild Member

Any pictures of what you mean? I'm most likely going to have a shop fab up spacers. Should I look at different wheel? The Katana wheel should be able to run a 150/70r17 tire.

14. boyoboy

boyoboy Well-Known Member

The gs500 has a 3.5" rear rim. I just sold a gs500 rim with the brake stay/caliper holder/caliper for $50.

15. donjuan

donjuan Well-Known Member

16. donjuan

I used a cbr600f2 4.5 rear wheel and run a 160 tire and also upgraded the rear shock from an R1. I think I used a vf500 sprocket but there are other carriers that will work.
    There are a a couple parts that need to be modified
    1 new wheel bearing
    2 sprocket carrier is to wide so it needs to be turned down
    So the wheel is centered
    3 make wheel spacers or use washers
    4 the brake mounts are different but you can make them work
    5 you need a 520 chain because it gets tight
    6 also I flipped the engine sprocket for more tire clearance and
    Correct chain alignment

17. britx303

The point of the vf500 carrier was to not have to machine that part,making one less thing to do. You had to turn it down?

18. RZ Racer

Sure enough....I actually have a bandit 600 rear wheel, which is 4.5x17. Was talking about wheels with someone at the gnf and mentioned I had a gs wheel and he said "no you don't, gs wheels are 3.5" I looked and sure enough, it says 4.5x17 right on it! I was toold it was a gs wheel when I bought it. Always listen with your eyes...

19. billymild

billymild Member

Are you looking to sell the Bandit wheel? Also what swingarm are you running? FZR or FZ600?

20. donjuan

The wheel sits perfectly in the middle of the swingarm, you can barely squeeze a dime between them. As for the sprockets you have to
    Make sure they are aligned