1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WRX, Focus ST or Alternative?

Discussion in 'General' started by C-Par, Oct 21, 2017.

1. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

If value is a concern I probably wouldnt go with the VW as they do drop quite a bit. But if you are open to a CPO then that might be good.

They do a good job towing the bike to the track too!

Attached Files:

panthercity and BigBird like this.
  2. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Hey Cam, its been a while. You did the Derbi engine for me a while ago. Anyways just rolled to a VW dealer real quick to ask about incentives and the guy was a total douche.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  3. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Sweet. Built lots of engines years ago. The VW dealer in Greenville SC were very rude and arrogant. "This is not your average dealer, we sell GERMAN cars..." Ha ha

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

My dealer in NJ in awesome. Probably one of the best experiences I've had. Also, the one in NY was pretty nice. But I also go in their prepared, this is what others have paid, this is invoice, let's make this happen. I think they take to that a little better, and know they are dealing with someone who has their $hit together, and makes the entire process easier.

5. MCW

MCW Well-Known Member

Ive looking in GTIs in the past, has VW fixed the carbon buildup issue on US spec cars or not enough data on new cars? Non-euro spec have intake and direct injection to combat it, US spec direct injection only.
    Upgraded clutch is mandatory on GTI after adding a tune?

6. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

That's my main issue with getting a GTI. I have an aversion to buying any vehicle I know has maintenance issues like that from the start. Seems like shit engineering and not something I want to encourage with my monies.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

So far folks that have installed catch cans have found nothing in it. Cars haven't had any buildup to speak of thus far.

Upgraded clutch is mandatory in the tuned vehicles. Some tunes will have a clutch saver/low tq version that is detuned on the lower RPM range and then ramps up to help save the clutch. If your stage two, you are making almost 1.5 to almost 2x the factory torque, so something has to give, and it's the clutch.

8. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

There are some excellent deals on the Focus ST3. Think I'm going to go that route.

9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Carbon build up also worries me a little. Cleaning get be expensive. Im right around 55k miles amd would like to take a pic and see what the valves look like.
    I have heard some people with no build up and some with a lot.

As far the clutch its recommended to replace. The dsg can handle the torque with no issue if you decide to go with that route.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

you're right. not sure about the issue on the 1.8, but the 2.0 seems figured out by now, even with our one set of injectors.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

12. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

VW the company is shadier than Slim. Never again. Fake and unreiliable DSG, Carbon buildup, Noxious fumes and not a care in the world to fix any of it until sued for $30B+.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Really?

I was going to respond, but with the"fake" DSG comment, there is nothing going to change your mind. That's ok. A lot of us feel strongly about something without ever researching it.

Sent from a smatrphone

panthercity likes this.
  14. I loved my GTI 4 door. 2 year 40k mile lease on it. The launch control was a blast. I didn’t bother rotating the tires, when I turned it in the rears were still good and it was on it’s 3rd replacement set of front and 2nd full trans. The dsg sounded like a wuicksfter on a bike, I always giggled when shifting at high revs. It was a POS but fun POS, mind you I beat the hell out of it but there was a lot of things that went wrong with it that weren’t related to that.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Ha, sorry I have video proof from my old 2012 S4 DSG. Provided the video to VAG who refused to fix the fact that it autoshifted even when in full manual mode to "save the gearbox".

Gave them a second chance with my 2015 Q5 TDI. Sold to me AFTER it was known by CEO they are illegal. We know how that's turning out.

How's that for facts? Like you said, a lot of us feel strongly about something without ever researching it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Even if it auto shifts, doesn't mean it's not a dual clutch.

Sent from a smatrphone

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Went for a ride with my buddy's brand new 2018 WRX and was impressed. Fit and finish has seriously improved from previous models. Engine has very nice midrange and handling was tight, although not pure sportscar tight with a little bodyroll noticed compared to my previous Genesis GT. Nice space inside, very practical. I liked it.

rafa likes this.
  18. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Interior has always been the downfall of Subaru to me, but this is good news!

19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

You shouldn't. Wrx's are the worst built thing subaru makes. 50k miles, driven by old married couple and never beaten examples test with low compression. No thanks. Still better then an evo though :D

BigBird likes this.
  20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The newer 2.0L WRX's have literally no midrange what so ever compared to the previous 2.5's. I used to prefer the WRX over the STI for daily driver because of its enourmous mid range. Now it has the same terrible turbo lag as an STI but without the HP.