1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WRX, Focus ST or Alternative?

Discussion in 'General' started by C-Par, Oct 21, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Yeah, but you'll have to sit in the Ford. The interior is no different than their base model which is terrible. It's one of the reasons I couldn't spend the $40k on the RS. I sat down in it and was like whoa, is it 1980?

Sent from a smatrphone

2. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I bought an ST last year - black 2016 model. So far:

- zero issues - no concerns with the car.
    - it was down to a GTI and the ST, Ford won due to financing advantages and the price was $2,600 less as well, otherwise after test drives it was a toss up.
    - GTI has a better 6th gear ratio for cruising, otherwise the ST handled and pulled better - gearbox felt better without question.
    - Interior I actually much prefer the ST - the Recaro seats are awesome, sight lines are better (though still suck), and controls/ergo's are well laid out.

So far, 18,000 miles and I'm enjoying the car as my daily driver. Me 6' and my 6'2" son sit in the front, wife and daughter in the back with zero space issues - not exactly a stretch limo but not too cramped for what it is.

Phl218 and B. Myers like this.
  3. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Does Volvo still make an R model wagon? Fuck it that my vote those things are amazing

4. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

No way. Two co-workers had them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

They have this..which is awesome, but not sure I would spend $62K (ok maybe)
    • 20” Polestar Exclusive Alloy Wheels w/Performance Summer Tires*
    • Brembo 6 Piston 14.6" Front Ventilated and 11.6" Rear Ventilated & Slotted Brakes
    • Polestar Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
    • Polestar Öhlins Shock Absorbers
    https://www.volvocars.com/us/build/wagon/v60#filterPolestar

[​IMG]

6. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

You've been a window licker for a long time ... and you are just now getting around to asking for permission? :D

7. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

The wife drove the ST this weekend..... She doesn't like the base model. She wants to drive the ST with the ST3 package. Heated leather seats plus lots of other stuff. $6400 rebate. Subaru is out due to dealer support. They are not nice or helpful.

lightning97 likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Are the options, going to make it a better car? Are heated seats going to make it a winner?
    Did you try the GTI?

9. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

I've got a 2013 ST It's just over 4 years old now. 207,000 kms(128,000 miles) Its the ST3 package as that is all we could get in Canada. No major issues in that time, a few small recalls and one deer strike.

10. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

The VW type R GTI is the way to go. My buddy bought one a few months ago and by far one of the best daily drivers ever that I have driven.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Golf R or GTI ;)

Golf R is pretty awesome

panthercity likes this.
  12. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I didn't want to take the time to list everything you get with the "ST3" package. It is also the "402A" package. It won't make is a more reliable car, no. It will greatly improve the fun factor and look. Includes sunroof, heated seats, big touchscreen for GPS and stereo, better stereo, recaro seats, carbon bits, etc. I will look at the GTI but our VW dealer was a jerk years ago... may be better now....

13. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

So nasty though. I love unassuming wagons. The V series caddy is high in the list.

Also maybe it’s just me but I imagine the people driving gulf Rs as spoiled little boy racers.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

This is of no help at all....Bought a '06 Focus when gas was $4 way back when. Nothing fancy, just wanted a beater to go to work in. Was surprised how well it handled, actually a fun car to drive (when the wife wasn't in the car holding on to the Oh Sh*t handle). Major gripe was how it just ate tires...20k max.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

My too. I would love a AMG 63S Wagon.

Golf R owners are usually pretty chill from my experiences. A few of them have stepped into a RS3, as that seems to be the path now.

I ain't going to lie, but I do feel a bit weird driving my GTI on coilovers, wheels, downpipe, and piggyback at my age and with the kids, but I do enjoy the heck out of the car, so I'm learning to deal with it.

panthercity likes this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's a cool car and all, but problem is you can get an Audi for that money.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

It will barely will get you a base model Audi A3. While the Golf R has the better turbo, and is a hatch.

Why do I feel like the VW version of Audi Dave K?

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The A3 is (used to be ?) a hatch over here.
    That segment (souped-up hatches) is pretty cool and is currently dominated by the Civic Type-R from what I read.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

A3 hatch is only in electric only now. The Type R is the hot kid on the block, albeit not everyone likes the look. But the FBO GTIs have been faster in a straight line than the Type Rs at least for now.

panthercity likes this.
  20. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I imagine the ST would hold it's value much better than the standard but didn't know if it would compare to a WRX in resale.
    I had an 02 obviously, sold it after 11 years with 100k on the clock for half of what I bought it for brand new.