1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cataract surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by David-imoddavid, Oct 21, 2017.

1. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

I was just released after having surgery to remove my cataracts. Before surgery I was 20/100 in both eyes. Now I am 20/15 in the right and 20/20 in the left. Will still need readers for close up tough. The only pain involved was the insertion of the IV needle - hardly worth mentioning. I opted for the standard procedure over the laser due to cost.

What I really want to pass on though (that I did not realize 'til after the first surgery) is that because of the color of the cataract itself, everything I looked at had a yellow/brownish color cast to it. This would be important to artist, photographers - anyone who works with color. Also, I'm one of those folks that is kinda sensitive to gloomy, rainy weather. Those days little was accomplished. The dingy appearance of things viewed through a cataract was having a negative effect on my overall mood.

FWIW folks.

G 97, beac83 and lazlo like this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What's the other way to do it that's not laser? Are you awake for that?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelyne has had both done. The cut a slit, cut out the stock lens, slide in the upgrade and you're good to go.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Shiny eyes!

5. David-imoddavid

Just barely awake - semi-aware of what was going on might be a better description.
    As I understand it the laser is quicker and done only with the laser. What I had was the older procedure done by hand by the doctor. Yes he had very steady hands

6. David-imoddavid

I also had a weight lift limit of 30 pounds for 2 weeks afterwards and was instructed not to bend over to have my head below my heart to prevent undue pressure on my eyes. No problem on either.

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Best thing that came out of my trucking career was finding out I had cataracts in both eyes and getting the surgery.

Never knew how dirty the windows were until I got them replaced.

BigBird, beac83 and David-imoddavid like this.
  8. David-imoddavid

Yep! I really enjoy looking at simple things again. Even road signs look good - lol. Everything is just so bright, in focus and vivid

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  9. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Right eye getting done 11/1, left one 11/15. Can't wait. Night driving is a bitch, throw in rain and backing into docks is a nightmare. Having laser even though it costs more.

dtalbott likes this.
  10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I've got one stage to go until I need surgery.
    My wife had it done this year and she has had a lot of problems with eye pain afterward.

11. David-imoddavid

How about keeping us informed 'bout how it goes?

I would have rather had laser but for the cost....

12. David-imoddavid

Sorry to hear about your wife's pain. Second opinion maybe?

13. OldSchlPunk

14. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I had both an implanted lens and laser done in 1985. I am sure things have changed a lot since then. But it allowed me to see

As a side effect. I view the ultra violet spectrum from black lights differently from one eye to another.
    IE same picture, different input to the brain

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

For some reason, this image popped into my head.

[​IMG]

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

^^^
    No make the Six Million Dollar Man sound
    [​IMG]

17. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

The windows? :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  18. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I remember as a younger teen-ager, looking at the cool stitches in my grandmother’s eyes after she had it done in the early nineties.

19. OldSchlPunk

Well...two days post surgery on right eye...

I was at the surgery center less than 2 1/2 hours (12:00 - 14:30). Lots of eye drops and some Valliums pre-op. Got wheeled to the machine and was out of there in probably less that 10 minutes ( not exactly sure, Valliums worked well!). I dozed off for a while in post op. Overall, nothing special with surgery. By evening, the eye was a bit sore, like mild eye strain from a long day. Couldn't see because of a shield taped over my eye to protect it. More eye drops after dinner (had to start 3x/day 3 days prior).

8:00 Thurs, 1st post-op check. Couldn't see any better without lenses than prior, but that is to be expected as there is some swelling in the eye. As the day went on, sight seemed to be getting a bit better, still fuzzy though.

This morning, right out of bed I could see almost as good with fixed eye as the other with glasses. One odd thing to mention, it was like each eye had a different focus, almost like having your contacts in the wrong eyes. That got better as the day has gone on.

Right now, fixed eye is about as good as the other. I'm told this will still get better over the next couple of days. Next post-op check is next Thurs morning. Then the other eye gets done on the 15th.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sweet.