1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better, Crf50 or Ttr50?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by assjuice cyrus, Sep 19, 2017.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

So, looking to pick one up for my boy to run on a go-kart track.

So,is one better then the other?

2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

the biggest advantage of the TTR over the CRF is the electric start. Other than that, the CRF has unlimited aftermarket support. Motors, frames, bodywork, suspension, etc.

my daughter has the TTR but just rides in the woods and stuff. makes it so I don't have to go start it when she drops it.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  3. assjuice cyrus

Yea, only real difference I am finding is the electric start. We all know when racing every lbs count. Lol.

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

My son did his first MiniGP camp on his TTR50 at NJMP last weekend.

Ryan and Nathan run a great program. Reminds me of a bit of YCRS, but for small bikes on kart tracks.

He absolutely loved it. He's ALL about MiniGP now.

For his first time ever on pavement, I was absolutely floored at how quickly he adapted. Like a fish to water. First session out on the track, an instructor had to
    basically catch up to him and guide him off the track so we could have lunch. Otherwise, he would have kept running laps until his bike ran out of fuel.

The electric start of the TTR is what really puts it over the top. We just have one because when he was 5, Alex wanted a blue dirt bike.

BigBird likes this.
  5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ok - since this has been brought up. Raina has riding the bicycle down now, so looking at entry level bikes. Is the CRF or the TTR taller than a PW?

thanks
    M

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If you don't mind, how old is your son and what kinda two wheel experience does he have? Picking up a TTR50 this weekend for my wife/daughters to learn to ride (they're about to be 5 and 3, respectively - my wife is slightly older) and thinking when my oldest gets decent on it that I'll take her with me to race minimoto (I've got a TTR 125L setup for mini racing but haven't found the time to race as of yet and have just done track days).

8. StaccatoFan

Alex is 7.

He wanted a blue dirt bike for his 5th bday, so I got him the TTR with the training wheel kit. So he and I rode around the back yard and had some fun that first Summer on the occasional weekend

Summer/early Fall of 2016 he learned to ride a bicycle with no training wheels....so I gave him a little time to get better with that, then we had a mild winter and he and I talked about removing the training wheel kit from his TTR...which we did. And he got comfortable with that. He didn't shift it, I just put it in 2nd and let him ride around. I'd say this winter we went riding for a couple hours on like 6-8 weekends.

If you search on youtube for MRDZUM, there are two videos I posted of him in the camp..one of his first half lap of the mock race they had, then one of him being followed by Scott Stump. For his first time out, I thought he did absolutely fantastic! He listened intently and did very well with the directions from Ryan and the other coaches.

I still have the training wheel kit for his TTR with an extra tire.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  9. SuddenBraking

Thanks - might take that training wheel kit off of you in the near future (depending on my oldest's progress).

And congrats on Alex and his progress - really excited to (hopefully) see something similar with my girls. There's a decent chance I'll be doing the endurance on the 28th so if you're there I'd love to buy you a beer at the general store and pick your brain :beer:

10. StaccatoFan

Just looked at the calendar, an I won't have Alex that weekend, so I doubt I'll be coming up to NJMP for the MiniGP weekend.

We will probably pick things up again next year. I'm tentatively planning on joining him in MiniGP with my Grom. Can't let the kid have ALL the fun. ;-)

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. SuddenBraking

12. assjuice cyrus

Yea, that's the way we are going to go. The extra weight of the starter and battery is enough to make me go the CRF route.

Finding one that isn't completely trashed is another story. Gonna wait and see what deals Honda runs around Christmas time and may just pick up a new one.

I hope you guys plan on making the trip some more next year, that was a great time watching the boys go back and fourth like they did.

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Honda likely will. Honda East will have good pricing as well. Lemme know and I can check with them.

Yes, good fun for sure with the kids. You're not bad either, even considering your screen name. Does Ian know that's how you roll? LOL.

14. assjuice cyrus

Hahaha. Its always a smile when I walk up to people and introduce myself as assjuice.. :crackup:

His mother is doing everything she can to make sure he doesn't turn out like his dad, but hes doomed no matter what.

Yea, if you don't mind check with them sometime and see what they are going for and if they know of any promotions coming up.

Thanks

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

There isn't much markup on a CRF, it's like $100 or so of profit on them. The biggest thing is all the associated fees. Can never go wrong with Honda East though.

ekraft84 likes this.
  16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This. Anyone have any info on this?

17. assjuice cyrus

Yea, the CRF and TTR are taller then the PW, and quit a bit taller to if I remember right.

The TTR, CRF, are 3 speeds auto clutch. The PW is a single speed if I remember correctly.

RRP likes this.
  18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

gracias!

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  19. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Yes single speed on the PW.

And the TTR is a little taller than the CRF at the seat but just a little.

The e-start is great, but wish the TTR had a kick back-up. The battery seems to drain easy if you forget to turn the key to "OFF".