1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just going to leave this here

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

No. The helicopter does not go along with the train, generally speaking.

If the air were replaced with water, the copter would go along with the train, generally speaking.

The reason for that is the force that the water exerts as drag is orders of magnitude greater than air.

It has nothing to do with pressure. Also, given a sufficient moment of acceleration it hits the wall in the water.

2. Knotcher

Are you speaking about a copter that is already moving along the same vector as the train and they both maintain that vector or a copter that is hovering relative the ground and then the train moves?

3. I'm talking about the doors are open while people load the train, dude flies his helicopter in there, the doors close, and the train takes off.

4. Knotcher

Yeah, well in that case the copter hits the wall.

The reason things don't go apeshit in an airliner is that they are flown smoothly and you are seated for when shit ain't smooth.

Pressure isn't really a factor in this outside of extremely dense air and exceptionally high acceleration forces.

5. That's what I said back in the very beginning. :D

Even in the picture in the OP it says "the helicopter enters a resting train and hovers, then the train moves".

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's weight the same, air pushing down on the floor to give the chopper lift would replace the weight of the chopper touching the floor :D

badmoon692008 and Phl218 like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So anyway - for me it's less about newtons laws (which say flat out the object not in motion stays still and the wall of the train car creams the chopper) and more about how helicopters move/hover. I'm guessing when hovering they are not actually putting any force in an outward direction, just downwards in an amount equal to the weight of the helicopter. So in that case unless the train pushes the air hard enough to have it transmit force to the helicopter, it smacks the wall. If the blades are putting some sort of horizontal force out as well as down then it could move with the train (I don't think that's the case tho, maybe I'll do some more reading up on them during the Endurance Saturday :D )

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Correct, it will smash against the wall unless the pilot – operator counteracts for the motion and sets the helicopter in a forward moving motion to keep the same distance to the wall while staying at a set distance to the floor, until the train Has reached its targeted speed that it’s not required anymore to compensate positive or negative acceleration

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:bow::clap:

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Pseudoforce

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

So, what if you take a 2 oz fishing sinker and a 40lb dumbbell to the top of the tower at COTA and drop them at the same time. Which one hits first?

12. notbostrom

The Apple

13. Bautista hits the ground first.

14. notbostrom

Wins the internet for today

Actually it's Bautista with the Apple

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:bow:

16. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Google flying heli inside a moving truck. It's been done. The air in the enclosed cabin moves with it.

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

So out of date...

Bautista doesn't touch the ground.

He's laying on top of Sam Lowes...

18. I actually almost said Lowes. :D

But Bautista is a longer running joke.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If we're going with history, Xaus, no contest. :D

Knotcher likes this.