1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Las Vegas shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Metalhead, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Apparently there are myths about the differences in Combustibility and Flammability... they must be dispelled...

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Could you light a fart with an incendiary round?

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

You go eat a bunch of Messican and I can see if we can light you up out about 800/1000yds. :)

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

With no oxygen it won't go off. Worst case a fire that was lit and got out the leak. Hard to put out but also time before any explosion

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So your telling me if you shoot holes in the tank and it is spraying out the side...it won't ignite.
    I am not saying one round one boom...:)

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I actually wonder how big of an air pocket a 50 cal would pull in to the tank with it and if you were using armor piercing incendiaries would it be enough air to start the Earth shattering kaboom.

8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

You can't ignite jet fuel with a rifle round...no way. I doubt even shooting through the tank with a tracer would do it. It's basically kerosene or like diesel, the conditions have to be just right for it to ignite. Hell, you can shoot through gasoline tanks and it doesn't ignite.

9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

You can shoot thu a gasoline tank with multiple Incendiary rounds and it won't ignite....? Would you like to think about that for just a few min?

10. sheepofblue

It would ignite but only burn what is outside in open air. Yes at some point that fire would get hot enough to burst the tank or something along that line but it would not explode like in the movies. As the vast majority of fuel would not have an oxidizer. Think injector vs carb vs pouring gas in.

11. sheepofblue

Say it pulled a one inch diameter tube of air 1/2 way across the tank. Now consider how much oxidizer is need to burn a few thousand gallon tank of fuel. It would not ignite like on MacGyver just as planes don't suck people out through a window if someone shot out a window.

EDIT: Consider how much air goes through the intake of a motorcycle to burn just 5 gallons of gas.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Have none of you ever seen a tank farm fire...
    Not a TV / Movie.. but a fire at a tank farm..? LOL
    yep that shit won't burn.
    Maybe you could google it up..

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ever throw a lit cigarette into a bucket of stale gas?

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Nope, not a real fan of fire.. but I have lit some shit up.. best fun use to be, road flare duct taped to a propane tank in a junk car.. shoot the propane tank.. kaboooom.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Let gas sit for a few days to the point where you cannot see the waves of fumes rising from the surface. It is the atomized liquid that flashes.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

17. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Didn't NBC try something similar with some GM pick-up trucks a few years ago...:D

18. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I did not use "incendiary rounds" in the gas tank scenario. I'm talking any normal rifle round through a gas tank, I've seen it and even the hacks on Mythbusters have done it.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Smoke goes out.

V5 Racer likes this.
  20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I thought it was cool in Jaws when that dude shot the scuba tank in that sharks mouth.