1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discogram on back?

Discussion in 'General' started by Shenanigans, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Anyone ever had one, if so how bad does it suck? Doc wants me to have one to pinpoint where my pain is coming from

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I thought you were going all Saturday Night Fever on us.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Donna Summer doing a singing telegram?

Shenanigans likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

She be dead, as are most of the BeeGees. Maybe Rick Dees doing Disco Duck.

auminer and Shenanigans like this.
  5. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Really? How did I not hear of this?

BTW, Saturday Night Fever is loaded with great scenes. I love the scene at dinner where everyone's hitting each other.
    Tony Manero: "Would ya just watch the hair. Ya know, I work on my hair a long time and you hit it. He hits my hair." :crackup::crackup::crackup:

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Crap. That was supposed to be a secret.

7. Chad & Robyn

Chad & Robyn Well-Known Member

Are you talking about having a myelogram study on your spine? To study the nerve roots? Where is your pain, legs or arms/hands??

I used to help perform those tests with a Radiologist years ago.

8. Shenanigans

It's where the stick a needle into the disc to see which one is causing pain. Seems to me if you stick a needle in them they will all have pain. Pain is in low back L5/S1, doctor says we have to do this before he can fuse.

9. Shenanigans

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Gary I know nothing about this but sorry to hear you are going through this

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

12. Shenanigans

Thanks

13. Shenanigans

Oh lord!!

14. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

It has value if you don't have localized symptoms or anatomic/imaging specific findings. It gives confidence to the surgeon if it reproduces your specific symptoms. An esi would be my first suggestion, knowing nothing about your history. I would quote my personal favorite, that there is no back pain that you can't make worse with surgery. This is not medical advice, the discogram is not technically difficult or extremely painful, given you want to have it done, you may be experiencing more. Given that, we don't do many anymore. To specifically answer your question, some people have no problem with having it done, and others find it uncomfortable. Same with any procedure.

15. Shenanigans

H
    Had esi's before my first surgery, disc has since starred to deteriorate , he wants to do this no to pinpoint pain. First surgery was for herniated disc L4/5

16. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

As you've had an ESI, I'd say its similar, maybe less 'cramping' experience as the meds from that procedure are being injected, but if it reproduces the symptoms, thats what you're looking for. Be very specific about the feeling you are experiencing, you will be fine.

Shenanigans likes this.
  17. Shenanigans

Thank you

18. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I can sympathize, as I have had a recurrent pinched nerve in the lumbar area. Hasn't required surgery yet, just chiro.

For the medically ignorant (me), what is ESI?

19. Shenanigans

Epidural Steroid Injection. They suck!!

20. Capitalview

Capitalview Well-Known Member

Had one about 10 years ago. That is how it was discovered I had tears in both the L4/L5 and L5/S1. Otherwise they thought it was only the L4/L5 that I was having a problem with.

Even with the meds I remember it hurting like hell.

YMMV

Shenanigans likes this.