1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF? No thread on the new tax thingy?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Metalhead, Sep 28, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Your mean the sum total value of your all-inclusive remuneration from every and all sources is $37,500 annually? Every item/service of value, every meal, everything?

Somehow I'm dubious...

2. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

You can't be serious.. middle class yes, rich, no..

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

He works from his own definitions. :D

jeffr1ey and Newsshooter like this.
  4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Nice try, but the states with the highest income taxes, also are among the highest contributors to Federal tax revenue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And if you read all the words, that wiki page is all federal tax receipts, not only income taxes.

I like that list. Only Delaware and the District of Corruption pay higher per capita to the Potomac Leeches than the rubes here in Minneshitholia

6. beac83

I couldn't find a breakout for just individual income taxes at a source that wouldn't be attacked. My expectation is that income tax revenue makes up the majority of Federal Tax revenue collected in a state, unless that state is a huge producer of raw natural resources (oil, gas, minerals, etc.)

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Like California, Texas and New York?

8. beac83

Texas, perhaps (although resource royalties are pretty low, so it takes a lot). Cali I don't think produces enough oil and gas to tilt against the incomes taxes paid by nearly 8% of US residents (28Million). New York, NJ, IL, similarly do not seem to produce enough gas/oil/coal to have those royalties overcome the income taxes paid.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ahem. Wall Street. Hollyweird.

I suspect the corporate tax receipts dwarf the individual income tax receipts.

10. beac83

I'd love to see that breakout.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Would be interesting to see.

MN having a $14k/capita federal tax liability is due to the corporate headquarters here. Target, Best Buy, 3M, Honeywell, lots of medical device stuff here too. And of course Delaware is the land of incorporation.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It is not hard to understand that if you get to deduct state taxes from federal income, then you will be paying less federal tax, which means the high state taxes come at the expense of federal taxes.
    The overall amount paid by the state is meaningless.
    Without that deduction, the amount would be higher.

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I've asked this question many times before without getting any kind of intelligent response so I'll ask of you, if I haven't already, what your idea is on taxing the rich.
    It's pretty well a given that those "rich" people, especially those in business, are the people of society that provide the jobs that us "middle income and lower income" folks need to survive. How does lowering taxes on the wealthy benefit them without benefiting the rest of us? Where is the disconnect between them and us? How does the tax rate paid by the Bill Gates, and Warren Buffets of the country do harm to the rest of us one way or the other?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More like 40 I think. Not sure what you're talking about with every meal and all the other stuff. WERA does occasionally pay for meals when we're on the road but it's pretty rare.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You guys seriously think 75k single income is just middle class?

Damn.

16. jeffr1ey

yes, seriously.. it isn't even remotely close to what I would consider "rich".

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't even imagine all I could do with that much more money every year :crackup:

18. jeffr1ey

you should look for a new job..

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

It actually breaks my heart that they guy running the largest, most successful road racing org in the country makes less than $75K.

sill'r B sill'd and auminer like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, but I do love what I do most of the time.

jeffr1ey likes this.