1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Does the Dyno run after the race really work? Considering the fact that it's pretty easy to cheat it with either a switch on the bike or a bluetooth toggle?

Kordyte likes this.
  2. dmj_88

dmj_88 Active Member

No it doesn't, it didn't work with ASRA or MotoST

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I picture you with four, equally prepped bikes built for this class (FZ-07, or whatever bike) lined up, all matching nice and neat (except for your rugs, because they never match for some reason) ready to line up and compete - and run a team with in MotoAmerica.

With those four bikes, I can't picture whether it's four riders, or just one rider - with three bikes just to look at.

I think it would be the latter.

:D

Gorilla George and bleacht like this.
  4. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

Rider is only allowed to have one bike complete ready to race.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

It amazes me that this thread has made it 21 pages (with the default number of posts per page), and no one has acknowledged who the "racing fan" actually is in 2017...

I don't know everyone who attends MotoAmerica events, but I've always attended with people I talked into coming with me, and met up with other people I have either ridden track days with, or raced with. In that sense, I disagree that track days and club racing are "splitting the pie into smaller pieces." I never followed any kind of amateur or professional motorcycle racing until I started riding my bike on race tracks, and developed an understanding of just how hard going fast on a motorcycle really is.

MotoAmerica has "us" as fans. For the most part, they are already getting our money, either in ticket sales or entry fees. (although I'm sure exponentially more of us spectate than participate at MA events)

What MotoAmerica needs is an EXPANDED fan base. We'll show up and know that Mazz is on a superstock bike and Gerloff is on a higher spec 600. IF they're actually able to draw a "casual fan," those people probably won't know the difference.

In that sense, bikes that look and sound different (XR1200 was a good example) create the perception of greater variety than having two 600 classes and two 1000 classes that run concurrently, but are scored separately. I'm not sure a LWT class will LOOK different enough for the casual observer to grasp the distinction, but i guess we'll find out.

Whether we like it or not, the harley owning dentist with his 10 pirate buddies are probably the most readily available target market. They have disposable income, and they love "rallies." As I said before, MotoAmerica has "us." They need people don't have opinions on racing, and are merely entertained by it.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Name any other (successful) professional sport that relies on entry fees for income. I'm of the opinion that entry fees should be virtually $0 for a professional racing event. Maybe some token amount to keep complete knobs out of practice and qualifying sessions, but if you can run the pace, MotoAmerica should want you in the show.

Are OEMs going to be more attracted to a series with a large fanbase or a small fanbase?

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I deleted my comment because I didn't want to get sucked into one of these conversations.

I don't disagree with your opinion. Want vs. need, and wish vs. reality, change things unfortunately.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

This class definitely has an, Is this clubman legalesque feel to it.
    Not one wheel has turned and already the finagling and hang wringing has started, while true to form, the racing discussion takes a back seat per usual. :D
    It's the new, clubman legal? :crackup:

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

One might look back and say this was a brilliant move on MotoAmerica's part!

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: Nothing like getting pulled down the front straight of Road America and Daytona by a 160 hp GSXR 1000. :rolleyes:

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think you may be correct.

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

13. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this. I like the extra classes but I don't like what it could do to club racing and the grids. Regadless of what region or org. the sport can't be doing so well that we can afford to split it up into multiple pieces.

14. Chip

Chip Registered

I wanted old school Formula Xtreme rules with a spec tire and spec fuel but based around price controlled V-Twins. Oh well, maybe it changes.

G 97 likes this.
  15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I would think a very restricted SB would be better then full on SB, if they want to make it a more "affordable" class. Seems like the airboxes are the big restriction on the LWTwins, basically SS(WERA type SS, not CCS/MA SS) exept for the airbox. 75-80hp and you're done. Oh, and make it a naked except for bellypan and front plate.

rk97 likes this.
  16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Would you race an 2003 R6? Thats about the level of sophistication.

17. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

How do you guys see them enforcing an even playing field with the preliminary rules other than using a dyno? Certain HP limit per minimum weight on machine....

18. No.

19. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

The 848 looks like the way to go based on how the rules read. There is also a mention of adding restrictors to help level the field of bikes; it makes perfect sense to me. I'm guessing MA will require certain bikes, like the 848 or 749, to run intake restrictors to balance out the power with SVs and FZ07s.

I'm seriously interested in this. I'd buy an 848 to run occasionally in MA and use the same bike for WERA or CVMA in middleweight.

20. :crackup:

Maybe 2 riders, as long as you bring extra blankets. :D

ekraft84 likes this.