1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR500- Road Race bike

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by JTRC51, Aug 31, 2015.

1. wolfie109

wolfie109 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever considered using a Suzuki Quadzilla motor?

2. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

frame at the shop getting fabbed for one as we speak. shock at ohlins. after frame mounts done and cradle modded, sending motor to be ported, then fab work for exhaust/fairings/cluster/etc...

will let you know how it pans out in like 6 months hopefully.

3. Cybernaut

Cybernaut Well-Known Member

ok, couldn't help myself, here's my old 96 TZ/CR500 and just for fun done in Wayne Rainey glass and paint about 90% done in this pic. As for the Quadzilla motor, way to hard to have a good supply of parts.
    If a person was really serious adding a counter balancer to the CR would not be that difficult to fab. For the 500 to work right you really have to invest in some serious mapping for it to live.

DSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0246.jpg

4. Sweatypants

But with an LT500 you get to have Jerry Hall bless it if you feel so inclined. Can't go wrong there.

There's lots of nifty CR stuff though. Counter balanced billet case with e-start on the horizon from that onr Canadian dude (supposedly).

5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Somebody posted on FB a CR625 I think it was. Billet cases and head.

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

7. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

I've passed this post many times and never clicked to see what was going on...

If you hadn't already found the aluminum tank you could've used a Derbi GPR50 plastic tank cover and drilled it to cover the mx tank. The older Derbi had a plastic tank cover/storage compartment, and the actual fuel was under the seat. I've been thinking about converting my mx bike into a supermono and that's what I plan to do with the tank.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

BRC Racing is doing up a clean sheet 500cc counterbalanced two stroke based on KTM300 motor mount patterns. They've also got an EFI'd CR500 they've been showing off.

9. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

CR500 motor in a Grom is where its at LOLOL........... or a WR250

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. Sweatypants

website? forum post?

11. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Is that Airtech bodywork? If so, curious as to what year that is (as you know they have loads of different types). I'm doing an RZ350 mutant build right now and that's the look I'm going for. Thanks!

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. Cybernaut

Cybernaut Well-Known Member

It is taken off John Kocinski's 1991 YZR500 in 1991 at the British GP round. It is not available from a glass manufacturer at least not that I'm aware of, I got it from the guy who "borrowed" a spare set of johns glass and returned the originals back to his team after making a plug for them. I don't have any contact info for him anymore but it was very hard to get the set. If I remeber correct airtech stuff is the 88 or 89 YZR body. Yamaha was very strict about not letting bodies of there GP bikes getting into the hands of the public

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Thank you sir. It looks great!

16. Sweatypants

so... not to update this in a shitty fashion... but motor is in the swingarm on the 11' YZ450 frame... NOTHING fits. debating on throwing in the towel here or not on this one. really bummed out about it. fab work would consist basically of cutting off everything from the neck down, the whole cradle, and modding part of the main spare next to where the kickstand would be cause the case hits the frame. that could for sure be boxed in and plated. i was expecting cradle mods... but chopping off the whole neck part up front and recreating that??? at some point i've almost made an entire new frame and/or coulda just bought another chassis. as it sits... COULD throw a YZ450 motor in this thing for somebody else and go have a ball. i'm determined to have a 2T though, so i dunno... gonna go consult with the shop dudes Friday and see what's up. not looking hopeful though. could part this and lose my ass and buy a TZ frame/swingarm i guess. i dunno. these frame mods are still prolly easier than adding a counter balancer to a KX or CR motor. its weird just how much bigger this motor is than a KX500. the KX500 motor fit just fine into an 08' YZ frame. this sucks, i'm bummed.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Got any pics??

18. Sweatypants

hope this works since photobucket sucks now?

so obviously the engine needs to go down and way forward... you can see what that would mean. whole thing below the headtube is donezos. rebuild the damn neck and whole cradle, redo those supports that go around the head with tube. cut and box out that spar on the right to fit the case too i guess. that's a lot of effort for still a dirtbike frame. i dunno how i feel yet. 50/50 on selling it to somebody that wants to just use a 450 motor for a good deal and getting an MC28 chassis, or just doing the work and finishing it.

this thing is getting a custom gas tank for under the tank cover. so for all that frame fab + tank... is that worth it over just buying a NSR250 frame/swingarm/ohlins shock/gas tank for like $3000? i'm not so sure. the swingarm is so dope tho, and already have that ohlins and march wheel... would be a shame not to see it thru.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  19. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

After looking over the Metrakit 125gp bike my buddy just bought. We have talked about basically scaling up that design for 250+cc single 2 stroke road race platform (also capable of 4 stroke MX engines). It is a very simple frame design, and I believe it could work really well. It may not be quite as light as the all aluminum 450f frame. but using some thin wall chromoly, it may end up pretty close. We have both fell in love with his Metrakit but I am 6ft, 250lb. I don't really fit, and he barely does. Have you thought about building a frame instead of doing a motor swap?

20. Sweatypants

well... the original idea was "i see these supersingles around, but i really love 2-strokes and want to do something a little more ridiculous than 45-50whp. let's do one but with a 2T 500 and make it a little more absurd with like 80whp, should be fun." then i kept finding deals on stuff like R&T forks and marchesini wheels and an AIM dash and blah blah... and that snowballed into my now "kinda" expensive pile of cool parts and these headaches.

i really wanted this to be like a gateway to then doing some kinda V4, or 3cyl. Banshee dry clutch motor'd, exotic frame/swingarm combo, SBK ohlins forks crazy shit, blah blah... next. like, lemme get this going, have some fun, learn a bit more about carbs and such, then do something REALLY awesome next, cause i like tinkering and i like 2Ts and i want some cool one-off things i can keep forever until i'm grey haired...

so in that regards... i didn't really WANT to go that route. i know GP Tech Geoff could help in that regard and there's other frame builders out there like yours. i already had a KX500 motor completely fit into an 08' YZ frame just fine so i figured i was fine here too. but then the "you know what would be neat? having a counter balanced 500" bug got to me, and decided to try this motor instead, not realizing it was just slightly bigger in all dimensions. so now i'm down the blackhole of spending here and i dunno. i'd rather not build a frame for this one. i'd rather just mod this frame up or buy an NSR chassis and be done with it. but at this point, i have literally every part except an exhaust... i kinda just wanna get it done with whatever option is the least expensive and move on with the next thing. i know its not really fitting into any super competitive classes or anything, so i kinda just want it for some random fun at the track. at this point though... i coulda just bought a used Graves R6 haha.