1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mini thread

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by backcountryme, Jul 18, 2016.

1. silvrsled

silvrsled Well-Known Member

The TTR has a drum rear brake so you have to go with a laced rear wheel unless you want to do the work to swap to a disc rear wheel. Since you have a YZ80 front end to use, you are already setup for a mag wheel up front.

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

So I finally took my mini out to NJMP (have been using it as a pit bike) for a full day of riding on the Avenger course. Was the only one on the track all day and turned almost 150 laps..................was quite a fun time. Only issue is/was the $65 charge for the day - I've got an email in to their contact over there asking what the rate would be to rent it out for the day and/or if they can offer group discounts. If anyone is local to NJMP and interested, let me know.

3. SuddenBraking

Anyone have a good solution for bending the right footpeg on a TTR out? Tried to teach my wife how to ride a bike last night (went to MotoAmerica and seeing all the kids riding minis inspired her) and she couldn't quite handle the POWAH!!!! of the TTR and shot it into the air, landing hard on the rear and right side (yes, it was fucking hilarious). Just cosmetic damage to the rear plastic but now the footpeg is bent in far enough in that it's rubbing the kickstarter.

On a more positive note, probably going to parlay this into another bike (cuz duh), so curious if there's anything that would fit the bill for me - basically, looking for a bigger mini that could race in the "super mini" class in minimoto (more classes = more better) and also serve double duty as a winter MX bike for a big fat guy that has no illusions of being anything more than serviceable at MX and using it as a winter training tool when kart tracks and big tracks are shut down.

Would a CRF 150RB be able to handle my 6'3/225 pound fat ass on an intermediate MX course with beefed up springs and shock? Or is the chassis just not up to the task?

upload_2017-9-11_10-16-39.png

4. SuddenBraking

Bumping this question - has anyone used a 150 RB as an MX bike who's a typical fat American?

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If you're 6' 3" you'll be screaming for help unfolding yourself off that bike half a lap into real MX. The TTR 125 has more room between the seat and pegs than the 150R.

6. SuddenBraking

Thanks - sounds like a clapped out 250 is in my future :cool:

7. Aphex

Aphex Member

Looking to purchase a 16" XR80 front wheel to use on my xr100 build. Located in So cal.

8. old&slow

old&slow Member

I live near Baltimore/DC and just got a TTR125 on the way (should be ready in the next couple of weeks). I'd be interested in going up there with you. I've had my big bike on the Thunderbolt track a couple of times and plan to do a full season this year, so I'll be up that way anyhow. Let me know how it goes...

9. SuddenBraking

I called them up and tried to see what the price would be to rent out the track and they quoted something moronic like $5K or something like that. I pointed out that even $500 would be 8X better than what they're currently getting (assuming one rider, which in talking with the employees there is rare in and of itself on non-gp race weekends). Anyhow, I'll reach out when I'm planning to head down that way - we should organize a whole bunch of heads from around here to meetup. Although being the only one on track does have its advantages, would love to get some tows from the faster guys on here.

On a somewhat related note, PM me if you're interested in big bike trackdays with ACE - I'm a partner with them so have a seat at all NJMP days and with my new job and the amount of weekdays they have I doubt I'll get out very much so will be looking to get rid of a bunch of my days.

10. old&slow

old&slow Member

Let me know if you try to organize a day because I am definitely ready. I might be able to get a few guys from around me to come too.

11. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

So what's the hot wheel/tire setup for the 150r's for big bike training? I've read about people swapping to 17's front and rear, 12's front and rear, etc. etc. I think the 12's lower the center of gravity a bit and let you corner/drag knee easier compared to the 17's? I'd like to preferably move to tubeless but I don't know if that's possible or realistic on the mini's. Also are there any years of 150r's to stay away from? Have they moved to FI instead of carbs yet?

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Put V rated BT45s on the stock wheels and go train.

13. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Suddenbraking, where is this track that runs minis all week? I'm in Central PA and assume you are also, or at least close, if Service Pavilion built your bike.

Thanks,
    John

2wheeldev likes this.
  14. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

15. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

+1

I've seen the opposite, too. You'll know it when you see it. Lol.

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member