1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hex plus L keys

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mike-guy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Just had another aluminum allen socket head strip out because whom ever owned my bike before me was a gorilla. Saw things about the tool company Wera that makes these "special" Hex plus keys that don't round bolt heads as much. Anyone have a set? I'm probably ordering them regardless because if it saves one bolt it was worth it.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It's usually the ball ended hex keys that ruin bolts, so if you can stick with an old-fashioned hex key you likely won't have any further issues. Plus those aluminum bolts aren't known for longevity anyway.

3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Those Wera wrenches are nice (nice and pricey too). You can also grind down the worn part of the Allen wrenches you have now. Once you grind the end off you'll have a nice, new, sharp cornered wrench to use which can make a big difference in preventing rounding off the socket head.

4. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Tools are one thing I've learned not to cheap out on if I'm going to use it all the time. I didn't think to cut mine down and have already ordered the wera set but I may do it anyways. They didn't have a T handle set which is kind of a bummer. Currently I'm more concerned with the bolt I had to drill the head off thats in my gas tank......

5. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

You can always take a Torx that is a little big and hammer it into the Allen head bolt, usually does the trick!

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Wear safety glasses!

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  7. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member