1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RZ350 Question

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by wolfie109, Aug 7, 2017.

1. wolfie109

wolfie109 Well-Known Member

Would anyone happen to know the distance between the center of the counter shaft and the center of the swingarm pivot?

2. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

I got 5 1/8" on a 1985 stock frame

3. wolfie109

Thank you I am currently mocking up a tz250 chassis for a wr450 motor. Right now I have it at 4 1/4 and am curious if the distance changes the handling any.

4. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

Nice...another GP bike becomes a "special" that no one wants after riding it a few times. Do us GP bike lovers a favour and stop now and built something else. :Puke:

dieterly likes this.
  5. wolfie109

First let me say I do not like to be confrontational and I am not going to be and I respect everyone's opinion. I currently own and race a 95 TZ250 and a GP Tech Yamaha 450. They are both very fun to ride in their own way. I am not cutting up a perfectly good GP bike, I happened to have come across a complete bare TZ chassis without a motor. I think that this will be a fun bike in my eyes. I am also thinking that in a few years both my oldest grandson and granddaughter may be able to get a start on it.

6. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Serious Question... with the bike you are building , why do you want dimensions off an RZ 350 ?? I can't see how that would be relevant to your project .

7. wolfie109

I would like to try and mount the motor without cutting and using the swingarm for a mount. So far it looks like it will be possible, however in this position the counter shaft distance is 4 1/4 which I know is greater than most bikes. So by scouring pictures I came across the RZ which also appeared to have a very big distance. I than figured if the factory designed a bike with a larger distance with, to my knowledge no adverse affects on the handling, than it shouldn't be to bad to set up my way.

8. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Not sure if the lateral distance is all that crucial if it is within reason, but certainly someone here will know. Reproducing that measurement from an RZ seems logical, and I would think less distance is probably better yet. That distance does affect the amount of swing arm angle you can get before the chain hits the pivot, although you can fudge it some with larger sprockets.

I would think pivot height is the more crucial measurement. Seems to me it would be wise to keep an eye on the relative heights of the swing arm pivot and the countershaft, which determines antisquat, and thus the willingness to steer accurately or run wide on turn exits. Measuring the TZ to the millimeter and duplicating that seems like a way to go.

9. wolfie109

Those are my thoughts also, I am trying to mimic as much as possible. If everything goes as planned without using the swingarm pivot as a mount I should be able to adjust the height and alignment to as close to the tz as possible.