1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not carrying Narcan

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Banditracer, Jul 8, 2017.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No way I would place all blame on the doctors, particularly early in the game. In more recent years, as accurate info has become available, yeah, they have a significant piece of that if they kept on prescribing.

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I think it falls squarely on the Doctors at this point and that burden probably falls back on them pretty soon after they came on the market when they saw the same cracked out patients coming back for more, where in a lot of cases the Doctors said no, but also many didn't and decided to rake in money.

As far as what to do? Continue to track Doctors and prosecute them

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

As someone who was on the health & wellfare commitee at 101 constitution ave during the beginning of this......I beg to differ.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It might have helped it but the greed of the company is the cause of the increase to everyone. The cost increase wasn't for the cost of the epi, it was their delivery system for which they own the rights.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Elaborate please.

6. britx303

Then you saying that it had "Nothing" to do with it is wrong even by your new statement with you now saying that it "helped"with the increases. Mylan is one of the pharmaceutical companies who lobbied the previous administration to have the epipen as the only FDA approved epinephrine emergency delivery system for a certain amount of time.........apparently that time seems to be up now that there is the new far less expensive "pen",although im no longer part of that H&W commitee,so Im not 100% of how the new pen has come about.I can only comment from reading the fine prints when the ACA was in its infancy,at our meetings back then and we had to really comb through ALOT. So I stand by what I said.....the ACA did in fact give Mylan the monopolised opportunity (even if for a limited time) to do what they did and the previous president got paid handsomely for allowing this to take place. And obviously no doubt,I agree this is biting Mylan in the ass bigtime.

7. Newsshooter

Yea, greed by the company, the ACA might have allowed it due to their lobbying legislators, but greed is what caused it, the ACA didn't cause it. So I was wrong the when I said the ACA didn't have anything to do with it. It was apparently in the ACA legislation, but the company raised the price on the epipens, they could have easily kept the same price and still made money as it was the preferred device.

8. britx303

What indeed was pure gold?

9. britx303

Agreed 100%, Greed on both sides: Goverment and Mylan.

10. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Seriously????? You can't be this hard headed can you?

You create a giant govt agency that has numerous powers , then when those powers are used in a non favorable way it still isn't the sole responsibility of said govt agency????

I've heard it all now. We're fucked as long as people think like this.

Here's a news flash for you.

COMPANIES ARE IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes that's good , sometimes it goes to extremes and is bad, but the moment a company's focus isn't on making money it will start to go bankrupt.

Govt in the other hand is unfortunately a necessary evil, but that company by itself can't limit what competitors there are unless it gets the assistance of govt.

There's a pretty simple solution in this equation and that is to limit the govt's ability to control markets and limit competitors......

But no......people like you will still preach for more control even when time and time again that control is always mis-used.

I know, you can do it better. Hahahahahahahahaha

11. Newsshooter

Sou you're good with a company charging $600 for a product that costs them about $2 for the epi and a few dollars more for the delivery system. They were charging about $100 eight years ago. When the price went up families that couldn't afford the out of pocket cost were gambling they wouldn't need it. Sounds like the same thought process that is killing newspapers, investors buy them then when they don't get their %20 + return they start laying off staff and cutting resources. Who cares if they actually have enough people to do the job, after a few years you write off the loss and find another company to screw over. :) It's possible to make a profit and not fuck over everyone else. We're fucked if as long as people think like you.

12. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Gee

The same tired response . Since I disagree with you I must be for high prices???

Holy shit talk about a total failure at logical thinking.

You ACA allowed Mylan to charge what they did. The private market did not allow that.

Govt manipulation of the marketplace is what allowed that to happen.

But yeah I know .... the next time it will be better.

Any time you allow the govt to have that sort of control over the market you will have people use that control in a way to better their situation.

It's impossible to stop. It happened in ancient times and it happens now. But yet your answer is more control and power ........

It's not hard to connect the dots.

Mylan could charge that price because the ACA made them the only option available basically.

If there were other options available and they went from $100 to $600 I guarantee you their sales would have declined while others who didn't do that would have increased.

I feel dumber for having to even explain what should be obvious to a grown man.

As for the rest of your flawed attack ..... all I can say is WOW!!!!!! What a complete waste of partisan garbage.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It is the responsibility of the company to maximize profits for the shareholder. Changes caused by the extremely flawed ACA legislation allowed companies to charge more. Had the ACA not been forced down the throat of the American public the cost of the epipen would not have gone up. So once again the government got involved to "help" and there were negative unintended consequences. But it is the drug companies fault because they took advantage of an opportunity to increase profits? Most corporations will take advantage of an opportunity to increase profitability. The government fucked up and gave them that opportunity and you expect them to not capitalize on that? :crackup:

15. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Right, because if the lobbyists hadn't been able to attach that provision to the ACA, they would have gone home. :crackup:

They would have just found a way to attach their pet provision to some other bill (ideally a must-pass bill), and the price would have still gone up.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Perhaps. But that definitely highlights where changes need to be made in healthcare. I have never understood how corporations and government can talk about bribery and corruption like it is something they disagree with and still employ lobbyists. They are nothing more than corporate bribe guys...
    But that does not change the fact that the ACA was extremely flawed legislation pushed thru by idiot Democrats that gave them a vehicle for that provision. I can not wait to see what sort of fucked up shit comes from the idiot Republicans that are doing exactly the same thing that had them butthurt when the D's did it...

17. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

And again even in your scenario the govt is to blame.
    It really is pretty simple.

We know a company is in business to make money. That's a known

The unknown is always govt and it's reasoning for doing things. No matter how much history shows us people still believe govt will do things for purely altruistic reasons. It never has and never will.

It's pretty simple . Everyone tries to influence the govt for their own purposes . Well mine may not be good for you and vice versa . So the only way to stop one from taking advantage of the other is to limit what govt can do.

Our founding fathers understood this I have no idea why it's so hard to understand now

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On this whole epi pens are a right end of things -

How is it while growing up there was not one single incident in any school I ever attended of any student dying of an allergic reaction?

I cannot remember one single person in my entire life who has died of an allergic reaction. Given my job that is a shit load of people.

How is it no one I grew up with was allergic to peanuts while I'm at it....

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They died before you had a chance to meet them?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Must have. None of the kids anywhere I lived ever had a peanut allergy. Some had shellfish, so they didn't eat frimp fried rice. Now I have known a couple people who carry epi-pens but even that was for convenience not because they'd die before medics could get to them.