1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZ-07R Superbike Build

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Ryan79, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

IMG_7439.JPG IMG_7438.JPG IMG_7438.JPG IMG_7435.JPG Relocated dash gauge back about 1/2 inch. Trimmed around frame sliders and case guards. The case guards were what was causing the bottom fairing to not mate up well. I had to trim the inside edges of the front corners of the belly pan too in order to get the forward dzus fittings to line up.

2. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

IMG_7440.JPG IMG_7442.JPG IMG_7443.JPG More pics

3. Very bad considering aluminum doesn't spark...

4. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

The gauges will barely touch the windscreen, that's normal. I am running a 190 rear Bridgestone for the added ride height. Works well.

5. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Well, I got a half day on it at Barber before the cold rain started...we cut our losses and called it a day. I love the thing! Once I got the front ride height adjusted it felt just like a 75hp version of the KTM RC390 I had. The power delivery was very similar too.....nice smooth long curve. I felt pretty comfortable after just one session. I had zero issues with rear grip...it was kind of cloudy and only 65 degrees...so I am really happy with the 180 R10 rear. I wasn't pushing on the front super hard just yet.

Only issue I had was I found the fairings to interfere with the rear brake. If you are running the stock rear set plates I would plan on this being an issue. I am still working on a design with my brother for the rear set plates. The plan is to make the left side a two piece plate.

I ordered a steering dampener for it. Some of the elevation changes gave me some head shake...prob mostly due to rider technique but it was kinda scary in turn 4 and coming over the tunnel. I think I heard WERA requires one anyway. I will post pics when I get the thing installed.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a rain tire for it?

Dragginass likes this.
  6. lateapexer

lateapexer Local slow poke

Well you are already running fast tires that carry contingency. The Bridgestone rains are still 120/180 or very close. They are light like the r10s as well

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I raced ours at Roebling in LWTSS. It's a shame Yamaha put that ridiculous airbox on it. I was getting slaughtered on the front straight, at least 10mph slower than my SV. On the other hand, Perdiew's FZ07 SBK was an absolute rocket.

8. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Hey Guys! Loving the bike so far this season. I guess the rear axel nut can start to tear up the rear axel blot over time. A buddy of mine said he had to cut his off because the threads got destroyed. Anyone know where to get an aftermarket rear nut and what the specs are? I just went to fastenal to see if they had a 27mm m18 1.5 nut and didn't have any luck. I am assuming those are the correct specs. I was hoping to get a castle nut and have the axel drilled. Have any of you guys done seomthing for this?

I entered a heavyweight race just to get some more seat time. Pretty sloppy riding but it was fun to try and battle with the 600s.

Ryan

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Oh yea. It keeps falling out of 5th gear. Any thoughts on that? Should I change quick shift interval ? If I clutch the shift it stays in gear.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm pretty sure we used a castle nut from a 2nd gen SV650..

JBall likes this.
  11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Design flaw. Very common. I think AP is working on a solution.

12. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Cool thanks. I'm worried about over rev when it does that.....can't be good for it

13. pdt155

pdt155 Active Member

I have my FZ-07R getting wrapped up shortly here in the mid-atlantic region. This is the first I have heard of a gear issue. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Also any other common issues? I'm going to run it regardless, but it would be a good heads up

14. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

I have also had my bike pop out of 5th gear several times. I started using the clutch and that solved it but that's not the way to go. I saw AP post a pic of a possible new 5th gear for the gearbox on instagram but he didn't really explain anything about it.

15. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

The bike is a blast to ride. I have let two other guys ride mine, one that has a 15 R1 and the other guy is on an older R6. Both guys loved it and are considering building one now.

The 5th gear thing is not anything to really worry about at the moment. The bike handled great first time out and I have not really changed anything. As I get better on it, I'm guessing it will do some things that I might want to tune out of it but so far it's rock solid. It's light, feels almost like a gp bike under you because it's very slim and brakes really well with the R6 front end. It has great low end grunt and all it needs is more top end. I raced SV650's back in the early 2000's and left the sport for 14 years. Coming back, it's crazy to see what guys have done to develop the SV. Give the FZ some time and guys will develop it further. As it sits now, it's a great racebike.

ekraft84 and Dragginass like this.
  16. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Had a mostly good weekend at RA on the bike. I did run into one issue and had a mechanical DNF in my GTL race. See video. I topped the bike completely off for the first time and ran into what I think was a fueling issue. I don't think my fuel tank is properly vented with the aftermarket Halo gas cap I put on. That is the only thing I can think of that would have caused the issue. I used less gas in my next 4 sessions and could not duplicate the problem. Is anyone else running this cap or doing anything to help with venting while using an aftermarket cap? Or am I out to lunch?

RA Turn 6 2017.jpg

17. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

This race went better. You can see the difference really well between a built SV and my stock FZ07 motor on laps 3 and 4....I definitely smelt MR12. I was on pump 91. I just decided to tuck in behind him instead of slowing us both down passing on the brakes since he was a white plate.

Dragginass likes this.
  18. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I decided to remove the inner seal on the Halo fuel cap base. There are a couple vents between the outer ring of the base and the inner ring. I still believe improper venting cost me the GTL race at RA. This should allow the tank to vent properly. The oring on the cap and the casket around the outer part of the cap base should still seal up the tank in the event of a crash.

I am curious if regularguy or hordboy have any thoughts on this? The only other thing I could think of is some sort of bad electrical connection somewhere?

One other note. Fuel consumption is definitely something I have to pay more attention to on this bike than in the past. I figure the GTL race would have taken a solid 3/4+ tank to run at RA. I think a full fuel load would have actually been pretty tight. Has anyone else had any issues with race distance on a tank of fuel? Daytona is the only other place I can think of with as much WOT time as RA.

image1(1).JPG image2(1).JPG

19. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

I have heard of a couple of people having issues with the rear axle nut tearing up the rear axle threads over time and ruining it. I had not had this issue but decided to avoid the problem. I ground down the axle nut until the locking tabs where gone. I drilled the axle and ground down the plate that surround the axle nut to make room for a tethered diaper pin. Has anyone else had this issue or came up with a different solution? The axle was very easy to drill on the drill press.....much softer than imagined.

image1.JPG image2.JPG

20. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Ryan it was good to see you at Road America though we never met. You were riding well, I think the only time I was by you was during the second practice session on Sunday morning that got red flagged, I was right behind ya when they threw it.

Loved the paint scheme too!

The rider on laps 3/4 was on a FZR400 that's been punched up, think he is in the ballpark of low 80's hp. He doesn't run MR12 but it is some sort of blended race gas, think with an ethanol base.

Up here in Brainerd our FZ's do have some endurance problems with the small gas tank, think they only go about 45 minutes on a full load.