1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Bed Options

Discussion in 'General' started by Rogue4, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

I just bought a 7'x14' trailer with intentions of turning it into a "poor man's toy hauler". I'm looking at beds that fold up against the wall on each side. I'm surprised at what these things for for. It seems like $600-$800 each is the norm. Has anyone found a cheaper option? I'm not against home made either.

I've already finished the floors and walls. Any other tips or tricks for making these things livable?

Attached Files:

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

DIY. Copy the $800 product. Lumber and angle iron.

crashman likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Aberk likes this.
  4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The paco pad makes an awesome compact mattress. Not cheap though...

5. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

6. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

7. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Make a frame out of 2x4's the size of a bed you want, put plywood (1/2") on top. Put hinges on one side and fold down legs made from 2x4's on the other. Bolt hinges to wall (make sure to get into steel studs of walls WITHOUT going through the exterior). Easy peasy. :D

rk97 and Rogue4 like this.
  8. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

I've been doing this. Honestly, after 8 years in the Army, I'm over cots. I'm not looking to put a Tempur-Pedic in there, but I'd like something a bit nicer.

This is kind of what I'm thinking. I was hoping someone here has done something similar and had pics.

9. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

Rogue4 likes this.
  10. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

sowega and 5axis like this.
  11. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

12. TurboBlew

honestly the whole "bed against" wall thing has more draw backs than advantages. I would probably spend my $$ on a small trailer window or 2 and some inflatable elevated queen bed(s). Not sure how many people you're trying to sleep but the fittings I linked can make a very comfortable pair of bunk beds.

This doesnt address the "weather" factor of being cold or hot...lol.

https://www.amazon.com/SoundAsleep-..._2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=X0B25KV2WW4ZAQWDC200

13. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Look at RV salvage places. There's one an hour or so from me that let's you get stuff like that fairly cheap.

14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

serta queen inflatable bed, (not cheap), comes with it's own pump to inflate, and deflate, has a "headboard" too... VERY COMFORATBLE, and takes up no room in the trailer footprint, as you can pack it away, and throw it in the truck when stowing away. Ski

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Buy a toy hauler.

V5 Racer likes this.
  16. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

2" foam sheet between the bike and the wall while in transit. Put it on the floor after reaching the track. Sleeping bag, pillow and fan for the night. $125 total. Have fun!
    Tim

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I can top that.

Build your own track. Build your dream house nearby. Sleep in your own comfy bed every night. :D

Joe Lopez, badmoon692008 and Rogue4 like this.
  18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Please elaborate. I haven't gotten as far as looking for disadvantages but I am looking to do this type of set-up.

19. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

20. TurboBlew

Mostly setup. Also the wall couch types arent "comfortable" to sit on during the day.
    I sat (ok I was melted to it...lol) on one of these at Daytona over memorial day weekend... very comfortable.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OCBZX5...t=&hvlocphy=9011555&hvtargid=pla-168350311755

Between the inflatable sofa and elevated queen plus maybe a zero gravity chair... you have something you can setup & pack easy and not go off budget.