1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mini thread

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by backcountryme, Jul 18, 2016.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

So much shit Quickbooks ran out of space. $900 in parts, $100 in taxes and $600 in labor (estimates).

upload_2017-6-2_13-45-51.png

upload_2017-6-2_13-46-45.png
    upload_2017-6-2_13-47-17.png
    upload_2017-6-2_13-47-36.png
    upload_2017-6-2_13-48-7.png
    upload_2017-6-2_13-48-35.png

2. SuddenBraking

It's ironic - I do all my own work on my track bike and streetbike but not knowing how or what a mini should do (with braking, etc.) I outsourced this to a pro. Yeah, I paid retail and presumably more than I should've but I've now got a bike I shouldn't have to worry about for a while.

C'est la vie.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Might want to check the valves. If the outside is in that bad of shape, the inside might need at least a look. Especially with an air cooled motor. But, the prices (seem to) line up for the amount of service you had done.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

quick opinions: Cheapest way to build a mini w/ 17" tires and a disk brake?

Lace a CRF150 F to 17" hoops?

or big bore XR100 with 17" wheels?

5. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I am pretty sure the 150F would be cheaper and easier but not the better of the two bikes once completed.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the 150f... you can get a high compression piston on the cheap. :D

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm not looking to make that much more power. Just feeling like better tires and brakes would be fun. One of the guys in my local club put a 100cc engine into a 150R frame. I should probably ride that to see how it feels...

8. SuddenBraking

Yeah, I'll take a look over the winter and check that out but this guy knows TTRs inside and out so I'm assuming/hoping I can get by with it until then.

The ironic thing is this all started because I needed a catch can and safety wiring done which I didn't feel like taking the time to do to be race legal..................and then I find out there's a kart track where minis run 4 days a week which doesn't need any safety wiring or anything and which I'll probably run at 98% of the time.

9. sharky nrk

In terms of a "motard" style mini I really would like to have a conversion bike. The XR engine in the CR85 chassis. The big problem with the 150F is that it is a pig compared to the XR. The conversion bike keeps the weight down but gives real suspension and brakes.

The biggest issue is that I am cheap and do not want to spend any money period, let alone real money on a mini. If I was willing to, I would just have a 150R and be done with it. I got into my XRs so cheap that it kinda set my mindset (not going to spend more money on an upgrade then the it cost me to get the bike); but the reality is also that if I added it all up, I have nickel and dime spent my way much more so than I realize.

rk97 likes this.
  10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

100% agree. I need to talk myself down from upgrade and build ideas pretty frequently. "DON'T MAKE CHEAP RACING EXPENSIVE, DUMMY!"

The reality is that I need more practice on a stock XR before better brakes are really warranted. I have a lot of fun chattering the rear tire under hard braking, but I'm nowhere near being able to call that "backing it in." Furthermore, my fastest laps have been turned without touching the rear brake, so I'm (literally) slowing myself down with the rear brake... And not in the good/necessary way.

11. ducati culture

ducati culture If it involves mud iam in.........

very good points Sharky & RK97!!!

12. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

Wow motorcycle shops are expensive >.<. Feel free to ask for tech advice or send me a PM I haven't worked on a ttr but I could help save you. I just rebuilt the top end on my 150r, and 100, valve checks, and all the stuff in between. It's not too hard if you have the tools

13. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

14. greytarzan

greytarzan Member

So, I also just hopped on the TTR125 bandwagon.
    Rode one all day at SoCal Supermoto a couple weeks, came home and bought one to setup. Also bought a YZ80 roller to swap over the front end.

What is the solution to install 12" wheels?

15. Charlie_in_OC

Charlie_in_OC Member

12" cast / tubeless? Or 12" spoked / tubes?

16. greytarzan

greytarzan Member

Open to both.

17. Charlie_in_OC

Charlie_in_OC Member

http://www.raceumra.com/calendar.html

There's a guy who races with UMRA that has cast 12"s on a CRF150R, who is also the importer.

Be worth a trip to Willow for the next race.

18. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

I just payed 440 shipped for my Mag 12" wheels on the 150r. tubeless

19. sharky nrk

^^ from where

20. silvrsled

silvrsled Well-Known Member