1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian moving to the US - very grateful for advice!

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Raging inferno, May 26, 2017.

1. Raging inferno

Raging inferno Well-Known Member

Hi all

I do some local club racing up and down the East Coast of Australia, but I'm moving to Manhattan, New York in a few weeks.

I'm thinking of keeping my Honda CBR600RR in another State with warm weather close to NY (e.g. Texas or Florida) with a prominent race team/bike shop, and, on the rare occasion when I get time off from work, I could fly to that State when there's a race weekend on, and essentially arrive with my gear ready to race.

The race team would store, maintain and transport my bike to and from the track (for an agreed fee - I'm not Commie!).

Does anyone:

- know a reputable race team/bike shop that could help?
    - have any suggestions about where I should store my bike? Ideally, it'd be near a good track which is regularly open for ride days or races, and has good weather. I was thinking Austin, Texas?

I'd be very grateful for any pointers or ideas! I don't want to give up track days/racing!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure of any in Austin but what you're talking about sounds a lot like what Brian Livengood does for Broome. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Raging inferno likes this.
  3. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I am not a team ,but live close to 2 tracks within an hour and 3 more within 4 hours

Location is Birmingham,Alabama

4. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Markbilt offers this service at NJMP (he's across the street from the track and handles storage/service between rounds).

rk97 likes this.
  5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Probably try the CMRA message board if you are looking in the Austin area. Another resource might be Ridesmart Motorcycle Schools. They run the track days at COTA and surrounding area.

6. Raging inferno

Thanks - would you possibly have Brian's details?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

http://livengoodmotorsports.com/

He's based in Atlanta which is central to more tracks than Austin is I believe. While COTA is in Austin it's not open to bikes much at all so you'd have to travel a ways to get to another track. Atlanta has Talladega at 2 hours from the airport and has bike stuff almost weekly, Jennings is 4 hours away and same there, also close to Road Atlanta and Barber which are great tracks. I forget the count but it's something like 8 tracks within a 6 hour drive.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the States. Sorry about NYC but different strokes for different folks :Poke:. Markbilt is about a 2 hour drive from NYC, so pretty close as driving goes. From NY "local" tracks that get a lot of action are NJMP, Summit Point in WV, PIRC in Pa. WERA has started holding events at NJMP and PIRC and all these tracks hold extensive trackday schedules.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

+1 for Markbilt.

And Austin is no good for you - COTA is expensive as fuck and as others have said, it's not as "bike-centric" as other tracks.

Hell, I store track/race bikes for a couple buddies (going through divorces, etc.) so if you wanted one reasonably close (I'm 1.5 hours from Manhattan - my wife commutes there two days a week) you could keep it in my garage while you figure things out.

10. Another option is Richard Harris and the ApexMfg guys. They have a garage located on Barber Motorsports Park grounds and do just this for people (store and maintain their bikes).

If you want to ride Barber, your bike is already on the premises. If you want to go to another track you can work out a deal with them to bring it.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

+1

I was going to suggest Markbilt as well. If you are going to be living in Manhattan, New Jersey Motorsports park is 1 state away about a 2.5-3 hour drive rather than having to book a flight down to Florida/Texas, so logistically you may find it to be easier/closer. There's also plenty of trackday orgs that go there. Optionally you can ride at New York Safety track (only trackdays there) about the same distance in upstate NY.

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 8.39.24 PM.png

12. cosan

cosan Well-Known Member

+1 for markbilt!

13. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Not sure what your definition of "close" is, but Florida and Texas are nowhere near close to NY.

Why don't you just keep it at the place where you'll be living in NY, and go to the tracks that are near that area? NJMP is close like others have mentioned, and there are a few more in that area that aren't too far away.

But if you want to pay for such a service, plus a bunch of plane tickets to fly out to various places, then the Southeast are would be the best. The SE has the most tracks within a reasonable driving distance in the country, plus they have nice weather pretty much all year round. Atlanta is pretty good location as far as race track accessibility goes.

14. Zohair Zaidi

Zohair Zaidi New Member

Markbilt is your best option. He is an incredible guy with a wealth of knowledge and NJMP has plenty of track days every month so plenty of opportunities for you to ride and you wouldnt have to fly angwhere.

15. Raging inferno

That's really kind - thanks mate. COTA is cheap compared to Aussie tracks! We get screwed pretty hard here. As long as COTA has lots of days on, I don't mind paying a bit extra for a cool track. That track seems to have everything.

16. Raging inferno

Gents - if any of you are keen for a "trackday" holiday in Australia, let me know. I've ridden all over Australia and know the main trackday etc operators, so I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

I strongly recommend Phillip Island. Eastern Creek and Barbagallo are quite decent too.

Shenanigans likes this.
  17. Raging inferno

Thanks for the summary. I'm really reluctant to focus on NJ/NY as the weather is so bloody terrible that I'll rarely get to actually ride...

18. Raging inferno

Barber seems like the closest, world-class track. I think this might be a good option, as well as possibly Atlanta. Thanks, I'll follow up on this.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The season generally runs from about March-Oct or Nov.....so it's not really THAT short ;)

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Except for the snow in March and April and October :D