1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rich white folks....at it again

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, May 19, 2017.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

I am so stoked!

m3421_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1494973279D631.jpg go emirates!!

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

3. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

wth does the thing fly. and someone in the jet looks like he is trying to throw a wake on the boats

4. joec

joec brace yourself

The main sail is a rigid cf wing. They have a special daggerboard shape you can see it retracted in the photo. They slide, and down depending on bearing. The initial designs were supposed to prevent them from foiling. But they were able to anyway. 50 plus mph across water..50 foot boats. "Sail" powered.

Races in 2013 were insf bay..they're all online..it's probably more interesting off you have a little.bit of sailing knowledge, but the tech is cool all by itself..they've turned sailboat racing into f1. The owner of the American team is larry ellison.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  5. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

amazing that they can do things like that. that's real high tech!

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I thought for sure this story was gonna be something along these lines....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

One of my favorite movies ever. Do you think Lane would mind if I asked Beth out? I love the Asian kids who learned to speak English while watching Howard Cosell.

8. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

That technology is insane!! I feel like as a kid watching the America's Cup races took quite a bit of time. Seemed like hours. I was pretty surprised when I saw the final race with the new boats and they completed the course in minutes!!

9. joec

joec brace yourself

I preferred the mono hulls vs the multis. But Ellson has really changed the game. The racing last year was pretty intense. It's definitely more like watching a sprint vs a solo 20 now. I used to enjoy sitting and watching it with a couple of beers and a pizza. Now it's a beer and a bag of cbips. Those things are fast!

10. Not a sailboat fan at all but did some research on sailing in general and compared to a regular sail boat these things are like comparing an f1 car to a Chinese knock off 12cc scooter. Very impressive tech.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'd rather see them in Moths myself. The Cup has become a billionaire pissing match of hired guns from around the world instead of boats crewed by citizens of the countries represented.

But the tech is unreal. These guys get hurt when the boats wipe out. Crash helmets and flotation required for all aboard. Fast chase boats to pick up those who go over. And all that shit is pure carbon fiber and unicorn hair.

ducnut and K51000 like this.
  12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Nah, these are following on the coat tails of other foiling boats. The International Moth set the standard and is your F1 on the water. Under 11 feet long, around 8 ft wide and 8 square meter sail. Those are the restrictions. Build it any way you want.

The result:

[​IMG]

A guy decided he could go faster if he got his boat to hydrofoil. Now they all do. The rod at the front dangling in the water controls the dagger board foil pitch based on water pressure, the tiller extension twists to control the rudder foil pitch.

The things are stupid light.

[​IMG]

Get Larry's old grouchy ass in a moth and I'd respect him some more. But Sayonara is / was a bad ass maxi.

Phl218 and flyboy like this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

These things look FUN!

But again, I'm gonna need to do this in a controlled environment. Like a pool. A big big pool. Not deep either. Cause we all know the brotha is the first one overboard.

V5 Racer and Gorilla George like this.
  14. Well damn. Haven't seen those, that would be approved even though it does t have a motor.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

Lol.....it's always been a rich guys pissing match. Love it.

16. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I've watched some awesome videos on this and the tech that is behind making these airplanes on water. Insane what these people can do.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

When those guys get pissed off, they don't buy all the water at the convenience store. They buy all the champagne.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and buy all the Range Rovers and Rolexs. "F@ck you biff, you'll have to settle for a Ford and a timex like you had to settle for Dartmouth!"

Jedb likes this.
  19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Isn't that how it started? A US privateer wiped the floor with the British? It's always been about pushing the envelope. I think nowadays though the bots have become so expensive that not even Billionaires want to play.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I prefer the Sydney to Hobart race. That's true sailing in my book.

Plus I miss the Ted Turner days. He had a certain style. Ellison is a tool.

My dream is to retire and get a 50 footer. I went out on a 52' Beniteu (Sp?) a couple of years ago and it was amazing.

DrA5 likes this.