1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold track days?

Discussion in 'General' started by BROsiah, May 5, 2017.

1. That isn't "cold". We've raced at Talladega battling sleet some years.

Some tracks (like Barber) have their best grip when it is sunny and around 60deg. The track gets hot enough to have grip, but not so hot that it gets greasy (and you have to fight those damn tar snakes).

FWIW, I had this same conversation with JD40 one year when it was going to be "cold" at the GNF, and he said he set his PB at Barber when it was sunny and 62deg outside.

It also depends on the track. Ive got my elbow down at Tally when it was 40deg outside, but Tally is very abrasive.

If it is sunny and above 50deg or so, I wouldn't even think about it, especially after the 2nd session or so. The bikes will heat up the track and lay some rubber down, and you will be able to let it rip without worrying about it.

G 97 likes this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Some years ago at JGP we had the "RAT Racing" guys down from Nova Scotia and it was around 20 degrees that morning. I told them that their tires were gonna be comparatively "cold" because of it. They calmly told me not to worry because they ran on cold tires all the time. "Dan...we are from Canada". They ripped it in the cold.

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  3. I've had to pull off the track because of snow. You do it because you are still out there riding as it's usually first time on track for the year but... it's no real fun, you don't learn anything except for the shakedown portion of the bike and once your hands go numb it's not too safe. It beats sitting at home but just have the mindset of what you plan to accomplish on that cold day.

4. People from NS are a different breed all together but good people in general (and usually a ton of fun).

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

You're drunk.

Funkm05 likes this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Coldest track day I did started at 29° during tech inspection.
    I put a windbreaker over my suit, lowered tire pressures a little bit and everything was fine. And I probably hate the cold more than anyone here.
    Now that I think about it, I remember having to put strips of duct tape over my radiator once. Can't remember if it was the same track day.

Razr likes this.
  7. Livengood has done that on the R6 a few times over the years.

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Opening day. Kinda like a track day ... do what ya gotta do. :D

JBraun likes this.
  9. caferace

caferace No.

I did one through light snow (track was dry) at Streets of Willow once. Didn't slow me down a bit. Actually, it was better than rain because it just blew off the track and didn't stick to my visor.

-jim

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

For fook's sake, he's from Wischeezland. WTF you think they do there?

Scotty87 and Funkm05 like this.
  11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Born and raised. How do you think I know? :D

Scotty87 and Funkm05 like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Ask me after the next 6-pack. ;) :beer:

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Putnam had some flurries on a cold October morning a few times.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I raced the RD at Grattan last spring for the first time. It was 47 and I had street tires. Never had the first problem. Nope, I saved that for my crash at Road A in June when it was 93.

Razr likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

There is air temp and track temp. If it's sunny and not much wind the track surface temp will be 10 or more degrees higher in temp. You will be fine. One good side effect is that the air will be denser and your bike will run strong.

Its not how fast you go. Its how Well you go fast. ;)

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

56 isn't cold, I remember a day at Reno-Fernley where I'm headed down the straight wide open on an R1, near the end of the straight I'm thinking to myself, is it snowing? :) Yes it was, I was probably doing 130+. Rode all day, didn't crash, never got warm either.

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I put strips of tape on my Kawi 400 unless it's 100 degrees outside, the stock radiator is bigger than a current ZX6r

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

My first trackday ever was at Little Tally in December. If I remember it didn't get over 40 and was 20 something in the morning. Sucked. I was too slow to crash or even worry about tire temperature

19. I was fishing yesterday morning at 55ish and wearing gloves, I'm from the north but 7 years in the south has made me realize there is no good reason to live in that cold sh$t.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

haha reminded me of a track day I did at Thunderhill. It was cold (45 degrees) & wet but the tire vendor made an announcement in the morning that rains were not necessary. By the 5th session the perimeter of the track looked like a sportbike junk yard...lol.
    Apparently the crash truck doesnt roll until lunch or after the day is over.
    Spent the first few "wet" sessions learning the track and still had a great time.