1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold track days?

Discussion in 'General' started by BROsiah, May 5, 2017.

1. BROsiah

BROsiah Well-Known Member

Is it worth it? I know you cant go as fast as normal but thought it maybe a good opportunity to slow down (not that i am fast)and work on some basics . Weather calls for lots of sun but only a high of 56....figure it may get up to 60.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I used to say yes, but I must be getting softer the older I get. Although if its blazing sun and not overcast 56 can be pretty reasonable by high noon.

3. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

no matter how bad it is, its still a great day to be at a track doing what you love

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

56. Cold.

That's cute.

ineedanap, t500racer, Funkm05 and 4 others like this.
  5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Back when the CCS midwest opener was Road America, there were flurries in morning practice more than once. I drained my coolant one night.

6. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

109F at Chuckwalla today.

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Seriously. Why is this even a question? Go ride. You won't have to slow down because it's 56.

condon66, Gorilla George and BROsiah like this.
  8. BROsiah

I am new to track days so that was my question . I was just unsure since all the ones i have done so far have been 70sand up

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Next weekend CRA opens the season at Brainerd.

We don't call 'em the snowflake sprints for nothing.

Kolbe and JBraun like this.
  10. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I've done a few that started in the 30's and probably never got over 50.
    Still had a blast.

I remember being at the WERA Tally opener a few years ago and it had minor flurries before practice.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Cold is OK. Wet can be OK. Cold and wet sucks.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

OldGuyOnBlu, dtalbott and pscook like this.
  12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This brings up a good question for the physicists here.... everything being the same, I wonder what the grip differential in % is between a 30 degree track and a 100 degree track?

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I'm living in FL since 1989, and even I don't mind 60F and sunny for track riding.. that's right about my limit though :)

14. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

56 is not that cold, once you get into the 40's that when your hands start to get numb. 50's is a blast, and you really don't slow down much. There will be guys going much faster than you at your full pace. I wish all me track days were in the 60's (+ or - 10*)

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Sounded harsher than I intended. Didn't mean to be a dick, I just meant to say that going riding is always a good idea. :beer:

BROsiah likes this.
  16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I raced a CCS round at Road America around ten years ago and it was fucking snowing when I woke up Saturday. It was melting when it hit the track tho, so race on. Played hell with my visor and generally sucked, but we still raced.

56? Shit, that's shorts and bro tank weather.

Funkm05 and pickled egg like this.
  17. BROsiah

No worries

18. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

No worries at all if it's 56 degrees and sunny. Just make sure you take incremental steps in speed and let the tarmac warm up a little bit

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Grip differential will be about tree fiddy

20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Man up, princess. 56 just means you won't have as many fluids to replace. :rolleyes: :D

This post sent to you from the middle of a lake on a perfect 40 degree morning. :D

Last edited: May 6, 2017