1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name this helmet. And then make sure you don't buy it.

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Apr 15, 2017.

1. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I recently lost a fellow rider/friend to loss of control and cartwheeling into a guard rail. Top of the line AGV split in 2 on impact. Speed was approx 80mph. Though I would never use a cheap helmet, I would argue that for this particular case the helmet did its job. Even the best of helmets can fail depending on the impact point, speed and object.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

werd... they don't make helmets to pass tests performed on machines.

3. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Tech form of the rider should list his helmet manufacturer if they filled it out correctly

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Absolutely, 100% incorrect. With all due respect. Do some research.

5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see a beeb populated head trauma/helmet brand statistic chart, list, graph. Its been my experience that the guys wearing Arai and Shoei stuff seem to have less issues, I am sure there are other common variables that go along with that also though. It has also been my experience when talking about these thing that the guys with the most concussions and rash frequently say "every crash is different"

6. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

A lesson in ridding himself of a $40 helmet?

notbostrom likes this.
  7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Last incident that comes to mind was Zach at Road Atlanta in 2014. He hit the guard rail/air fence wearing a free/sponsored Kabuto helmet. Ended up in the hospital, with long-term concussion-like issues. Never raced again. Helmet cracked. Never at one point did I think, "boy that helmet did it's job." All I kept thinking was, "had he been in a better helmet, what would have happened?"

You'll never find me saving a buck on anything less than the best-level protection.

TLR67 and Pixelator like this.
  8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Yep same here, not that anyone cant get beat up in any brand but the incidents I know off seem to follow the bang for you buck trend, no pun intended.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Can someone show something beyond anecdotal evidence that the more expensive helmets are safer? If you can please do.

pscook and nk140 like this.
  10. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

His statement does have some merit. I mentioned in another thread about the Sharp testing standards. There are helmets made by the same manufacturer (some of the "big" name brands) where some of their least expensive models are equal to or even exceed the rating for their more expensive ones.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'll give you that. It's just a broad statement to make when the helmets at the questionable end of the spectrum are still questionable, even though they "passed a test."

12. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Plenty done. I should have included my response to Mongo in that post. ;)

Read that one and I think you'll find that we're on the same page when it comes to safety. :D

13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Sharp testing is fine but I checked their website a few days ago and it seems behind in terms of the newer helmets. I still like Snell and am impressed with how they continuously research and change their methods when weaknesses are discovered, such as what happened with Snell 2005.

14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

That is probably due to it being a UK test and some helmets aren't sold in the UK or Europe yet.

15. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Wow Dexter Ford got fired because of the article he wrote...

http://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the-truth-about-motorcycle-helmets-got-a-journalist-fired

nk140 likes this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That information is a bit dated. Informative, but dated.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Almost none do.

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Snell partially changed their methods as a result, also because it was impossible to be ECE and Snell 2005 compliant in the same helmet IIRC. I looked into this pretty deeply and the conflict in standards starts getting into engineering trade-offs and testing methods.

19. six6two

six6two AWD

Best $40 ever!!! Personally I've got to protect my brain w the absolute highest level of technology available... And right now that's 6D's Omni Directional Suspension system. The carbon shell is just a bonus. Nothing else comes close.