1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newby with a few questions

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by ApeMummy, Mar 15, 2017.

1. ApeMummy

ApeMummy Member

Hi all. I bought a 2000 SV650 already race prepped that had been crashed. I believe the rider ran in CCS. I've fixed everything and I think I'm pretty much ready to go. I plan to jump right in and do a WERA race school and start racing right away. I'm from Cleveland, OH but I may even try to make the haul down to Roebling this weekend. If not it'll have to be Grattan.

I think I've thoroughly read the rulebook and understand what's what, but I still have a couple of questions: After completing the race school, getting licensed and receiving a number, will I need to provide my own numbers (as in, the black sticky numbers for the bike) or will they be available on site for purchase?

The previous owner of this bike only had the oil drain plug siliconed and not wired....I assume this is not legal in WERA? Is there a reason he would have done this is lieu of wiring?

Thanks!

Big Sherm likes this.
  2. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Numbers - A vendor usually has them for sale, if not, tape always works to get through the first weekend. At Roebling Stickboy (tire vendor) will have them, not sure about Grattan.

Drain Plug - Because he was lazy? It needs to be wired

3. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

Numbers: You have to provide the physical number. WERA just assigns you the identifier. For first weekend, just make sure you have yellow plates, and you can make the numbers out of tape or buy nice ones if a vendor is selling them.

Drain plug must be wired. If you don't have time before Roebling, just bring it down and someone can help you at the track. I'm happy to assist. Just find my sv #621.

Edit: I was too slow

4. ApeMummy

ApeMummy Member

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for! See you soon.

Mike

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

when you were fixing other items on the bike... did you ever say to yourself "WTF"?

Be prepared for the worst...the drain plug threads are galled and the original owner
    dabbed rtv as a quick fix because oil was weeping from the area? :D
    Could also be missing copper washer.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

send an email to [email protected] and ask your top 3 numbers, if they are available. you can basically use the one that then will be pre-assigned and don't have to do that at the track.

Big Sherm likes this.
  7. ApeMummy

ApeMummy Member

I already had it out once and it looked OK. Plus there was no holes drilled in it so I imagine it was some kind of garbage quick fix when his original rolled across the paddock and down a drain or something. I have another that's drilled and ready to go in. I found a few other "quick fixes" on the bike as well but nothing serious. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit nervous considering I didn't actually know or even meet the previous owner, but I've been going over this thing over and over and think I caught anything weird. I've actually had the bike for a couple of years now but each summer got crushed by work.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

This.... And pre register for the school and any races your doing... Makes the day go by much easier not having to wait in a line, run late ect... Have fun!!!! That's the most important thing...

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, but for pre-reg. he needs to be fully signed up etc.
    not sure if he is.

you can go on the wera.com site and register here, if you already have a member number:

http://maps.wera.com/maps.online/index.asp

cheers!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's actually easier to handle all of the entry at the track if you're new - the registrars can help with the normal questions everyone has.

Get the membership and AMA membership ahead of time and do the rest at the track.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  11. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

It might be much less expensive (and frustrating) to take it to a track day first.
    You get several sessions on a predetermined schedule, and it allows time to address any newly discovered 'issues'
    Good luck

12. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Many track day orgs allow this for the lower classes instead of wiring as it makes getting on the track more accessible to people trying it out for the first time.

13. drewnabobber

drewnabobber Well-Known Member

You have trackday orgs that require the drain plug to be siliconed or wired?

14. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Often in the "advanced" or equivalent group.

15. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I didn't see what part of Cleveland the OP was posting from, but I work on the East side and I live on the South side of Cleveland. I can 'tech' a bike based on WERA's rule book and provide my recollection of the race school, etc.

I hate drilling, but I'll supervise and drink beers while the OP breaks bits and curses :D

(for real though, message me if you haven't gotten the bike on track in the last month)

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

You want to be on track with people who don't have their drain plug wired? Even if it's not required? I was behind a guy on an R1 who had is oil CAP come off. It wasn't a major disaster, but I was getting sprayed with oil for half a lap. It sucked, and it could have ruined a lot of people's day.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Another reason I couldn't run track days under the WERA name :eek:

18. drewnabobber

drewnabobber Well-Known Member

I sure don't like it, it's something that has always bothered me at trackdays. I've just never heard of it. Would be great if the organizers around here would get some rules in place. I don't see any reason for someone not to at least use silicone.

19. ApeMummy

ApeMummy Member

I missed Roebling due to getting ridiculously ill that weekend, but I'm all drilled, wired and ready for Grattan. Finding my way around the bike is no problem.....now finding my way around the track could be a different story......:cool:

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's clockwise so head out of pit lane towards the gate and turn one is a right :D