Dog kennel/daycare jobs

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Apr 20, 2017.

1. How does somebody go about getting a job at a doggie daycare place? Do you have to be certified, or a veterinarian, or anything like that?

Or what if I wanted to volunteer to do it for free? Like what if I volunteered to go up there and play with all the dogs all day, and they wouldn't even have to pay me, could I do that?

I don't want to have to give dogs any shots, or treat them if they are sick and/or hurting, I wouldn't be able to handle that. I just want to talk to all of them, play with them, and keep them company while they are stuck in the kennel.

Do kennels let people do that, or do you have to be certified/licensed somehow?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You know SpeedyE's heart skipped a beat reading this... :D

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yes, local shelters are always looking for volunteers. Another way to help is if you are interested in a specific breed see if there is rescue for that breed in your area. They also need folks to provide temp foster homes, transport, etc. My wife is an adoption counselor for the Lab Rescue of Florida. When we lived in Johnson City we were a foster home for East TN Lab Rescue

4. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

You can volunteer at a shelter anywhere... they are always in need of help and dog walkers. I just can't I would have a house full of Pit Bulls :)

5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Go to or call a doggy daycare and ask Bud.

But I'd guess a long as you can clean cages and feed dogs and scoop poop you qualify.

It's a good first job for a teen that may aspire to be a vet professional.

6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I can ask my brother later for you if you want. He was a manager at a doggie country club in manhattan for a few years like a decade ago. He didn't have any special certs or anything for it that i know of.

7. That is awesome. I would love that. I wouldn't ask for a salary, I just want to be able to play with all the dogs and be their friend while they are stuck in daycare.

I just didn't know if you had to be certified/trained in some way.

8. Thanks. That sounds like a great idea.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Volunteer, but be ready for the harsh reality of the shelter. Not everybody gets adopted :(. Maybe with your resources you can help make things better.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

If you really want to help, I feel like buying all of the dogs is the only way to truly chip in, and do your part.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Here is the link for the Humane Society in Washington Co. You are in JC, correct? They also have a cool event in the Spring called the Dogwood and Cattail Ball. You get dressed up, silent and verbal auctions, dinner, donate. All the money goes to them.
    http://hswctn.org/

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Go to shelters/Humane Societies and volunteer to take dogs for walks/playtime. Daycare dogs have families, shelter dogs don't.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Dude you would be great....There wont be a dirty cage or odd amount of dog food in bowls anywhere!! Good on you Chris for doing this...

Steady T likes this.
  14. That is exactly what I want to do. I want to be a friend to the dogs that don't have families and don't get any attention.

I would love to adopt every single one of them, but that just isn't an option. But I can play with them, be their friend, and try to make them happier.

BigBird and Funkm05 like this.
  15. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Id say go to a shelter or a rescue, those dogs dont have anyone to spend time with. Ones at a paid daycare at least have a family to go home to at the end of the day.

panthercity likes this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and you know that the big dope would show up with bags of dog food, cat food, toys for them and stuff that the shelter would need without even being asked. Broome has a heart and animals in those places NEED someone like him. :)

17. :D

As funny as it may sound, I don't mind scooping dog shit. Especially if it is in a small enclosed area. It makes me sad thinking they are stuck in there with that nasty shit.

When I lived in west TN, my next door neighbor had a dog that stayed outside on a chain year round (I hate that). When I got home from school (neighbor was at work) I would go get his dog and take him for a walk, then come back and clean the area around his dog house and give him fresh water. Then I would take him inside my house and he would sit on the couch with me and my Siberian Husky "Ranger" and watch TV with us. :)

I just made sure he was back at his home on the chain before the guy got back home at 11pm (he worked 2nd shift). I did that for 5 years (till I left for college) and I don't think the owner ever knew about it.

18. For sure, good point. That is exactly what I'll do. I'm super excited about getting home now. :clap:

ChuckS likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place.

And yet...

[​IMG]

cha0s#242 likes this.
  20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

See, you CAN be a nice guy!........