1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name this helmet. And then make sure you don't buy it.

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Apr 15, 2017.

1. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

If I remember right Arai doesn't really care about the testing, they just care how they do it real world crashes. I like that.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They definitely like getting crashed helmets back to examine.

3. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

100% agree. I wasn't speaking of $40 helmets or $200 Sedici ones at cycle gear. It's the reason I used Arai as the example and one reason that I would happily place my melon in any Arai helmet. A helmet designed for racing is totally different from a helmet designed for the street. Take AGV, I have a K3SV that I bought for the street and a Pista and that's used for the track. Why? Because the Pista and is designed for it. Not just aero and flow, but safety at track speeds.

What I was getting at is that if you're looking at price to determine the factor of safety, that's the wrong way to look at it and one of the reasons that I like Arai, they don't sell "cheap" helmets. Some cost less, but that because of the features, not safety.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, agreed on the bottom of the price range and top of it within a manufacturer. That is pure bells and whistles - some of which matter to racers like airflow but a lot of it is being discussed in the other thread - the artwork. Can't blame them for marketing.

5. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Curious, what is WERAs standard for helmet certs. I assume SNELL, but I haven't read a rule book in several years...can't recall.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Still 2000 and newer for Snell, also accept ECE and BSI (not sure if the Brits still call it that but whatever the Brit standard is works). I'll probably bump it to 2005 or 2010 for Snell next year if I remember. I leave the older in because there are good helmets that keep getting made so they fit the 5 year rule but the manufacturers don't spend the money to resubmit it to Snell for retesting to new standards. I doubt there's anything out there now with less than 2010 at this point.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Years ago they were so happy to get one of mine back that they replaced it with a new and better one for free.

8. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

IIRC didn't Motorcyclist or Cycle World do a comprehensive test on helmets a WHILE back? Could be like 15 years ago, but it was a pretty legit test of all the major and minor brands.

I wanna say that there was a couple no-name kids that scored pretty well among the SHOEI and ARAI and AGV lids of the time. But one of the biggest factors was, and always WILL be (OBVIOUSLY) is fit to your head. I can't wear an HJC or AGV due to my melon shape, but SHOEI and ARAI have always fit me good.

I bring up that old helmet test because I don't think I've seen a test like that since. It's time for a new one. I'm sure someone can find that old test and use it as a blueprint for a new comparo.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

And this is why I look at SHARP test results, they aren't pass / fail they actually show how much energy transfers at different impact points so you can quantitatively compare helmets.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tests are tests - they try to replicate real world but they cannot, the forces when crashing cannot be replicated in a lab.

But you are correct that fit matters more than most anything else when comparing like helmets.

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That helmet may have "done the job," but maybe he would remember the crash if he had a better one.

12. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

He did remember. No concussion at all. Even told me target fixated right before going down. He just doesn't know what he hit.

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks that helmet isn't a POS, needs a brain scan already.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

POS? yes
    Unsafe for racing application? yes
    The thing that prevented this thread from being another RIP rider thread? yes

Pixelator likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It's certainly much more POS'y since clubbing a solid object at 40mph...

t500racer likes this.
  16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

This is a difficult question to answer. I ran through those thoughts after I had a nice 50mph highside. From first hand reports I got some pretty good air before hitting the ground. I don't know if I ever got knocked out, but I lost two hours of memory.

I had a brand new Scorpion Exo 410 which fit my head nice and snug. Would an Arai or similar made any difference? I don't know. At some point hitting your head that hard is going to have consequences no matter what you're wearing. But if there's a demonstrable difference between a scorpion and Arai, then I'll happily order the latter.

Mongo, you mentioned having a big sample size in your experience. Does scorpion fall into the crap category?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? He remembers it all but not what he hit? No marks to give it away?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly (or gladly too really) I haven't been out to as many crash scenes in the last few years so I'm not as sure on the newer brands. I don't get helmet brand info over the radio or in the control logs. So I don't want to guess one way or the other - but along the same line of thought I still buy what I do because I know for sure they're the best they can be.

I'd ask the corner workers for input, they see the brands too and which ones always seem to have a rider who is loopy.

mpusch likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

RoadRacing World? They did a survey about that long ago. And, yeah, Arai and Shoei topped the billing with AGV a not too distant third.
    I think the main focus was on concussions. IIRC, the Shoei had the least, by one, over the Arai. The other parameters, I don't remember.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'd say that helmet was 100% successful 100% of the time it was required to protect someone's squash.

pickled egg likes this.