1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can you possibly afford to race

Discussion in 'General' started by redhawkmoto, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Run on sentence below FYI
    Look at a race ready Sv 650 and you may have to delay riding a couple months, then leathers, gloves, stands, then warmers, couple tools, trailer, and then when you're ready find a helmet and get that helmet with the newest manufacture date possible. Just ask the salesman and they can request one with the latest manufacture date. Then buy tires at the track and go ride.

I was hoping to make my first race back in July from a couple year hiatus but now that I'm not on the parent's budget anymore and life happens, I'm having to wait.

I rode 600's and 1000's and fully expect to have plenty of fun on the SV.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yes, listen to the others on here. Start with a 650 or a 300. I understand not wanting the small bike, but the tire bills on a 600 will guarantee you will ask how the hell people afford this hobby.

I was a motorcycle drag racer before I tried road racing. When I decided to try road racing, in 1990, I know I would have purchased a 1000, since I already drag raced modified 1000's. However, after taking a school with 600's, I realized those 600's are more than fast enough for me. 600's from the early 90's, make similar horsepower to a race prepped SV650 of today.

jaybirdka, XFBO and rk97 like this.
  3. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

You will.

jrsamples likes this.
  4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I afford the sport because I don't have a stay at home dependa that squirts out babies every year. I don't buy a brand new car every other year like you see most active duty guys do.

(If you can't tell, I'm a bit jaded towards the stereotype)

Been racing for the past 5 years on an active duty paycheck and doing just fine.

Rogue4 and Bypass like this.
  5. redhawkmoto

redhawkmoto Well-Known Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Being in the military and riding/racing motorcylces has come up before. When do you need permission from up the chain to participate in such risky hobbies?

7. redhawkmoto

I know that I just have a risk assessment written up and probably a counseling done

8. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Just curious but do you have any motorcycle experience at all?

Regardless I'd follow the advice of others and go sv650. You're still gonna struggle to find much for $3k. But SV650 will be your best bet. It ain't the sexiest bike around but it's cheaper to run than most. It's easier on tires, there's a billion parts available, and it will teach you better track riding.

I'd suggest doing a track day or two. Numerous organizations offer race license classes and it dips your feet in the water.

Also I'll throw it out there that you need to look at reality and what your goals are. First year out you're not gonna be Marquez, sorry. You can get by without a generator or warmers. You really need gear but can buy a used suit and don't need a $700 Arai helmet. You can get a good scorpion for around $200.

And don't go down the credit hole!

I remember seeing years ago a documentary on a club racer who was competing for the championship in his class and they asked him how much it cost, the answer was "all of it."

XFBO likes this.
  9. redhawkmoto

10. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

That's just not true. You can go fast enough to scare yourself silly on an even smaller bike than that. There are plenty of racers having just as much fun on 200cc vintage bikes (mostly in other organizations) as there are on big bore fours. You don't need the top speed to have fun, just corners and other riders close to your ability to race with. You'll have more fun racing a couple guys for tenth as you would running out front with no one close to you. Starting with something less powerful will make you a better racer in the long run.

V5 Racer likes this.
  11. redhawkmoto

Yes I do, mostly off-road since I was 5, bought a zx636 brand new in 2014 and rode it for a while following my friends through the mountains, but I'm still a novice through and through. And I got the fever from my stepdad who raced with WERA when I was younger.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I think it depends on your MOS. I have a couple friends in SF, and I laugh at what they can and can't do in their spare time.

One of them is a PJ, and evidently they're not supposed to skydive recreationally. I get it because of the investment they have in those guys, but it's still kind of odd.

13. redhawkmoto

That's interesting I figured it had more to do with your command team than MOS

14. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I started on a 600. I don't regret that.... But don't suggest it either.... At 42 yo I have 38 years of experience. 600s eat.... lots... The Novice 600 class is called the "Meat Grinder" class...

XFBO and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. redhawkmoto

Lol yea if I ever race 600 I hope it's with a sponsor

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Vintage, EX250 etc. Save a bundle of money on tyres.

jrsamples likes this.
  17. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

All depends on your command. I know of several team guys that still get out and have fun. I know of generals that do TD's, though they do their best to keep their hobby low key to even their peers. You wouldn't think you'd have to hide much of anything with stars on your shoulders, but that's the way it is from the stigma "those dangerous motorcycles" carry.

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Well you better have a sugar momma then, sponsorship for really good racers isn't that great, new racers might get a break on some prices but no one is like to be throwing tires at you. Lower hp bikes are a better choice to start racing on, less costly and you'll still be able to go fast enough to scare yourself. :)

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

My buddy works in USAF combat rescue and races. The turds hit the fan when he hurt his knee.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Hey, we have a new member here just introducing himself. You guys are slacking... Common courtesy would at least be to ask the thread starter if he wants to see a pic of DaveK's junk. Geez.

redhawkmoto likes this.