1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red light therapy???

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Apr 3, 2017.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No, I'm not talking about hopping a plane to Amsterdam for monkey business. I'm talking about the stuff that NASA first figured out has therapeutic benefits.

Has anyone every used for any of its various claims? Experiences? Was thinking about maybe getting a home unit?

2. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

There is some published and peer reviewed evidence that it works. However, personally I'd wait for further research as this study was funded by a group who may have commercial motives. Also, I'd be concerned that the red light product I bought contains the exact correct wavelengths.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3926176/

DrA5 and Phl218 like this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The unit I was looking at operates at 660nm and used LEDs to keep the heat down which sounds like it would be ideal (its not a cheapo unit). I think in the back of my head that is my only concern, that the available data out there might be funded by folks with ulterior motives, but it doesn't seem like it overtly.

4. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Geebus man... just grab a beer after work and relax.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

:confused:

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What is the point of it?

7. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

I see them at the spa..ive laid down under them but couldnt tell ya if they did anything or not

8. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

I have worked with red light phototherapy since 2005 --- when applied with the correct dose rate, results have been very good. The only device I would consider is by Omnilux (you need a physician's license to purchase this unit, though.)
    Generally speaking, the little hand held units don't have enough output to achieve much. If you'd like, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some good info / clinical trials, etc.

Bobby_Evans likes this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

From what I understand you need to do it everyday, or at least several times a week initially to get the process going. So if it was just a once or a once in a while thing it might not have been efficacious.

Will do

flygirl likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Decided to bite the bullet on a Joovv and see if adding this to my health and wellness regimen is worth it :)

[​IMG]

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

My gizmo came in yesterday....I update on results after a few weeks of usage :)

The tech was discovered by NASA back in the 90's. They used it aboard the shuttle and space station to apparently facilitate plant growth, but they discovered that the humans exposed to the red and near IR light were experiencing health benefits from it. Its actually a pretty sizable list of things and they keep finding more as research continues. But its actual science backed by years of research from what I've been reading up (yeah I know Dr Axe is a hack, it just had a good summary of all the stuff about it on his site).
    https://draxe.com/red-light-therapy/

I found this study to be particularly interesting as well :D
    https://joovv.com/blogs/joovv-blog/promising-evidence-red-light-therapy-increasing-testosterone

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Just realized that I never updated this thread since my Joovv device came in last year. I thought to bump this thread up because I just upgraded to their larger Max model that includes both red (660nm wavelength) and near infra-red (850nm) lights, the one I initially purchased only had the 660nm bulbs. The difference between the 2 is that the 660 only penetrates a a couple mm's into the skin, mostly good for treating skin conditions and some slight reversal of skin aging/promote collagen production. The 850nm wavelength penetrates deeper into the muscles, joints and organs.

So I'll see how this new one makes me feel but I can definitely say using this red light for the past year I've noticed in increased uptick in energy and just overall feeling of well-being, I've noticed a very slight reduction of some fine lines on the face too which is nice. I've even noticed it helps alleviate some aches I've had just superficially in my wrists and elbow from time to time when I hold them right against the light since the pain wasn't very deep.

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

My dog has issues with his hips. I took him to the local chiropractor who uses a red light laser.
    Cost me $50 a pop for 20 minute treatments. After 4 of them I said fuck it. Absolutely no improvement.
    Might have worked it I was willing to keep throwing money at it.
    When I go for regular treatments, I can feel the improvements after the 1st session.
    So there should have been some improvement in him after 4.

14. Sensory deprivation chamber. Try that first, it’s amazing.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Red lights just make me fucking furious. What kind of therapy is that?

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

/unsubscribe

Phl218 and G Dawg like this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

We have a float place here now since about half a year. I go once a month, sometimes more. It’s awesome

18. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Cold laser is much better, and some practitioners call LED/Red light therapy "cold laser", when it is not actual cold laser therapy. Not sure about home use ones. I only have experience with clinical level units. Also, be very wary of NASA endorsed claims. Decompression traction companies (VAX-D) used that line marketing their traction tables and got the bejeezus sued out of them. Practitioners that used that NASA phrasing also got sanctioned from their state boards. Lots of sketchy marketing ploys out there for therapeutic services.

G Dawg likes this.
  19. r1madman

r1madman Well-Known Member

My wife is in "the biz" and has one of these portable units...seems to work quite well for various uses.

https://biophotas.com/pain/

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

That's because dogs are less gullible

badmoon692008, scottn and G Dawg like this.