1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 pole times

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Mar 21, 2017.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

thought it was a 49.4 this year?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

What did the Britten post for a fast lap?

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

also forgot to mention... at the Ferrari Mondial this year... the V10 F1 cars ran sub 1:30 lap times on the same course as the 200.

Ra.Ge. Raptor, Steeltoe and vizsladog like this.
  4. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

impressive

5. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I believe it to be the load and heat generated on the banking. The Daytona spec tires are thinner and have a more durable compound on the left side vs the right. Just for info to think about what the tire is doing, I had a chat w/ Derek Keyes about running the H2R in Japan around a huge oval and he said Bridgestone built a tire specifically for the oval and warned the riders not to do any hard maneuvers coming off the banking because the carcass was so stiff and rubber offered no grip at lower speeds and that they would crash the bike. Getting to hang out with the Dunlop crew in Daytona a few times, I got to see tires that chunked (non-Daytona spec tires), Toni (Technician) would cut a section out and you could see air bubbles at the carcass where the rubber had gotten so hot it was boiling and when it cooled it left the bubbles in the rubber that hadn't chunked yet

SpeedyTide likes this.
  6. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Due to the monopoly Dunlop has had over superbike racing in the USA for however many decades it's been, we'll never get to know. So, assume, yes, it is only Dunlop who can't build a tire for a series they bought the rights to support. Kind of a breach of contract, if you ask me, but Dunlop will never be held to that.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pirelli and Michelin both had tires that would last on big bikes from what I remember.

stk0308 and Focker like this.
  8. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Pirelli currently has a Daytona tire ( it is based off the Phillip Island tire). It too has a thinner left side vs right. There are a few more really neat things about the Daytona tires, but I can't remember the specifics so don't wanna run my mouth and spew erroneous info (trying to turn over a new leaf! HAHA)

vizsladog likes this.
  9. Woodsrider

Woodsrider Well-Known Member

The daytona spec pirelli is not thinner on the left side it is a much different compound and the tire construction is also different

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the "Short course" was only for a couple years, not that long ago. mid 2000's??

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

think what the pole time would be if they raced full on World Superbikes there.. ;) well below 1:46 (but the tire issue is the problem )

good point.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Somewhere there is a pic of Spies up on the banking flat out on the GSXR 1K with smoke rolling off the tire. Insane back when Superbike rules were more open. They spun most of the way around the banking. A combination of crazy hp and wind resistance. Great pic if you can find it.

418 likes this.
  13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It was in the earlier post I made in this thread. Daytona 200 switches to FX 600 class and the 1000's started running on the short course in 2005.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That was him busting ass to the dealership for yet another recall.

t500racer, Gorilla George and 418 like this.
  15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

They may very well have that, but the 600s running in the 200 were running a standard DOT SC Zero (Super Soft) tire. They used 3 rears to finish the race.

The Dunlop Daytona has greatly improved. As of last year, it's a dual compound tire, but it's the 2662 soft compound, thinner on the left side to prevent overheating. The standard tire carcass is too thick, the heat that is generated from the flexing of the carcass causes the bottom layer of rubber to boil. That's what causes the blistering.

Since everyone now knows who Dustin Apgar is, go check out some of his R1 videos on Facebook. That thing is spinning and wobbling all the way around the east banking, at 190 MPH! And I thought the 600s were scary at top speed! Edit: I have no idea what tires he's on, but it will open your eyes to what a Superbike race at Daytona might entail....

Ra.Ge. Raptor and MELK-MAN like this.
  16. Woodsrider

Woodsrider Well-Known Member

Comparing constructions of Dunlop and pirelli tires can't been done period

And standard sc0 rears weren't used but they used a dual compound daytona 190/60 tire

But standard fronts are used

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: Yep.

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

That is not the info I was relayed from Pirelli direct. It was a Daytona-spec rear - not the standard SC0, 1, 2, etc.

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I only know what was fitted to my teammate's bike. YMMV. Jason Edmonds #199, 11th place finish, or 12th if the DQ is overturned!

20. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

it might have been from the dunlop expanding to the point of rubbing the swingarm too?

stk0308 and SpeedyTide like this.