1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

+1. The end.

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Was always envious of those while we were playing charades down the front stretch.

3. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Yes.

4. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Big oops

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Creating a stream isn't at all simple.

You take a feed from the production truck, then feed it to a slicer that makes about 12-15 (typically) different streams - different bit rates and resolutions so that if your connection is slow, or you are on a small vs large screen, you can still see something. Then each of those streams is chopped up into about 5-6 second chunks, and made into files, along with a file of instructions on how to play them. The files are then uploaded to a server, and then mirrored to more servers so that enough people can watch. Remember, unlike cable or broadcast, in streaming, there is a 1:1 connection between each device receiving the stream and the server feeding it - the more devices connected, the higher the demand on the distribution servers and network.

My best guess watching it was that they had the primary feed compression settings set wrong for the first part of the race. I also think their slicer was not set up to build a proper high resolution stream at a proper bit rate, which is why most of us were seeing lower rez video. It appears to me to have been a combination of errors, perhaps also complicated by not enough bandwidth coming from the truck to the distribution servers. They did eventually get most of the problems solved, but the quality was never up to snuff.

pdt155 and Boman Forklift like this.
  6. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Once the quality improved during the third red flag, I thought the feed was pretty good. Yeah the announcers were maybe not top notch, but it's not motogp. I enjoyed the race and was glad it was relatively easily accessible.

7. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I had to miss the beginning of the race. Why did Valentin and Kaleb have to start from the back?

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

They got tired of all the red flags and decided to wait it out a bit:D

9. Putter

Lol, by the time I got home and turned it on I was like, WTF? Only nineteen laps? Got to see a good race, though!

10. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

The announcers (which might not be a quality source) said Valentin's rear wheel was locked up or something. Wasn't able to start the second time. At the third red flag they used current positions, so he was at the back.

Putter likes this.
  11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I think Valentin had a rear wheel lock up before restart 2 and they were repairing it when the third red flag flew. He restarted 2 laps down and rode an amazing race. Kaleb had some kind of issue on the third restart- he wasn't gridded - and then he got a ride-through. Good job Kaleb.

Ra.Ge. Raptor, rk97, MELK-MAN and 3 others like this.
  12. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

13. Putter

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

WTF? Why?

15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I'm all ears. I had to look at that page several times to make sure I wasn't misreading it.

16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

:stupid:

17. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Fastest lap of the race [chirp chirp]

by an old Suzuki that if not for a wheel issue most likely would have been there at the end.

Wymans old M4 Suzuki was fast too

Danny rode a smart race and deserved the win. Plus it was worth watching the fence climb again and the short bus tour with the fans :D

Fanschoice feed was terrible! Commentators had me so confused at times I thought I was blind. But I guess beggers can't be to picky.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Bummer for Cory West!!!!

Yes the inital feed sucked big time. However, this beats the heck out of waiting a week for cycle news east, like I did when I was younger. LOLOLOL

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Happened right in front of our pits. Rear wheel definitely locked up rolling down the pits.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.