1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mini thread

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by backcountryme, Jul 18, 2016.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

So I can buy either BT45 tire below for the front, correct? Is there any advantage to one or the other? For the rear, it doesn't appear they make the 16" in a "tubed" version so I have to run tubeless.

upload_2017-2-20_11-26-6.png

While I'm spamming this thread I might as well keep it going - has anyone swapped out the rear shock on their mini and noticed a sizable improvement? Asking because when I sit on mine it basically takes on the trail/rake of a fucking chopper (220ish without gear). I looked at some "beefy" aftermarket springs like the below and they're rated for 150 pound adults (lolololol). For $100 I'm going to do it regardless unless someone knows of a better/heavier duty spring.

upload_2017-2-20_11-28-39.png

Looking around at heavy duty fork springs but don't wanna blow my load in one post :rolleyes:

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

V rated is stickier. I really havent run a 19" front so just basing it off the 16" tires.
    If the rear spring is a for a xr100... yes it works great on a 200+ application.
    Just dont add any preload to it.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Ignore the tubeless vs tube bit, they can all be run with tubes. What you want are V rated BT45 tires, slightly better compound.

pscook, SuddenBraking and TurboBlew like this.
  4. TurboBlew

I just ordered a whole box of tubes... the STI branded ones are beefy!!
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/864/Tubes
    Alternate nominee... Michelin branded

Id strongly advise against bikemaster branded stuff. Total junk!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

90 100 tires in 16" and 14", for xr80...what's out there?

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Is it a different compound, or a stiffer sidewall? I was told it's the latter, which means you can run lower pressure without buckling, and thus generate more heat and more grip.

But that may just have been forum bullshit speculation.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Whatever the magic, it works. :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

On my 2008 CRF80... I could not fit a 16" on the rear. So I just put pirelli scooter tires in 14".
    They arent as good as BTs but work really really good. Only issue for adults is how low you can get the bike...lol
    [​IMG]

B. Myers likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

its a softer compound.

10. SuddenBraking

*Stupid fucking question alert*

What are you guys using for center stands when doing tire changes, etc.? Have had my BT45s for a week or two now and working up the nerve/desire to put them on but need to get the wheels off first. Have a TTR-125L.

Also, if anyone has done a BBS suspension refresh (rear shock and front fork springs) and has any tips I'm all ears - doing some reading on the interwebs and it sounds easy (but everything sounds easy before doing it).

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I use a 5 gallon bucket turned upside down.

12. ducati culture

ducati culture If it involves mud iam in.........

I used a bucket as well. BUT let me say this... I am freaking 6'2 my back was cursing me out for fighting with that freaking beadlock on the rear tire. SO I REALLY want a portable tire changer now. But the bucket does work.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Toss the bead locks. :D

14. SuddenBraking

Lol, I change all my street/track tires and have for a bit but watching some videos of people changing tires with tubes in it and I'm not looking forward to it...............

15. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Bit late to respond, but I can assure you that a disk front on an XR100 is AWESOME!!! I have tucked the front a couple of times, but you learn how to use it fast. I can brake WAY later and then get on the throttle WAY sooner then I could with the drum brake. But the real reason I put one on my bike was for my daughter. When she was racing, she had real issues with her hand getting tired and cramping up after half the day of racing. That was with new shoes, and a new cable. So I petitioned to adapt a disk to my bike to lower how much lever pressure she had to exert.

rk97 likes this.
  16. ducati culture

I would love a disc front brake but I also use the xr100 in the dirt so that means my second set of wheels would also require the modification which I guess is not s bad thing

17. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I still can't understand why no one make a kit to be able to swap/bolt on a disk to the front of the XR. Yes there are homebrew options based on CR80s and MB5s but nothing off the self. I mean you can get them for some of the horizontal motor minis.

18. ducati culture

That is also applicable to fork sliders . well I did find a set in Japan but sheesh they are not cheap or nearby

19. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I used a set of Woodcraft Grom sliders slightly modified for the front and rear axle. Work like a charm.

20. ducati culture

Photo ? Requirement to get it to work ?