1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motul 300v vs 7100 whats the difference?

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Mar 3, 2017.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

reading the description tells me nothing when comparing the 2. Can anyone shed any light? Mostly concerned with smoothing out the gearbox..

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

3. notbostrom

or anyone have a number to one of the Motul reps.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

lol I was going to post the same thing but didn't want to be "that douche" :D

5. notbostrom

yeah lots of great info so far

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Royal Purple is better.

Helpful? :D

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

8. notbostrom

no:Putter:

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Use Rotella
    It don't smella
    It's used by this fella
    Who says it's hella
    and the BBS will tella
    In a SV it works wella
    and walmart sella

bored&stroked and badmoon692008 like this.
  10. notbostrom

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Incorrect. I said read the comments.

Not too much revolutionary has changed since 2015 with 7100.

notbostrom likes this.
  13. notbostrom

Yep looks like they still call 300v the racing oil. Appreciate the info

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Nevermind, let me just copy and paste a couple relevant sections for you. From 2015 BTW:

"
    Hey Peter, I recommend 7100 for the street person that does occasional track days because it’s still 100% synthetic and it has ester, so it will handle high temperatures no problem. 7100 has more detergents and dispersants for cleaning which will typically allow for longer drain intervals, 5000 miles + depending on the rider. 7100 has an API rating of SM which makes in cleaner for bikes with catalytic converters and O2 sensors.

300V can be used on the street but it’s really designed for racing. 300V has double ester meaning Motul has used 2 types of esters in its formula – 1 to be used for friction reduction and 1 for extreme pressures. 300V has less detergents and dispersants vs. 7100 because they’re replaced that with extreme pressure additives for built engines. 300V is not API rated because it’s a racing oil and they assume that on a racing bike, you’re going to be pulling off your catalytic converters and O2 sensors.

Hope that helps!

Eddie
    "

"
    Hey Alex. The reason is largely due to the difference between the two products. The 300v is a high performance oil. It’s made to protect and also to free up horsepower. If you put the Motul 300v 15w50 on a chart against other oils, it would be at the lower end of the scale (meaning it’s thinner, more “slippery” and performance-oriented, due to the Ester technology and such). Conversely, the 7100 oil, when compared with similar oils would be in the middle, or higher end of the spectrum – a little thicker, more durability, etc. The 7100 is best-suited for street riding. The 300v oil would still perform well in this case, but you’ll find you may consume slightly more oil, and that you would want to change your oil a more frequently. It’s really just a trade-off between performance vs. maintenance.

Hope that helps. – Eddie
    "

Full disclosure - got that info direct from Motul, but I would be disappointed if the beeb didn't argue it tooth and nail, so take it with a grain of salt.

What do you mean by, "trying to smooth out the gearbox"?

15. notbostrom

Have had bikes in the past with a notchy gearbox and Motul made a BIG improvement in shift feel

16. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Kawasaki sells it (300V) under their own label, Its cheaper. I'll see if I have any left I can get the part number off of.

17. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Dope rhymes

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

"Dope" being the key here.

DWhyte91 likes this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting that here. I didn't click the link, but since you shared it, I read that and learned something.