1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CROSSFIT

Discussion in 'General' started by WANABE RACER, Feb 20, 2017.

1. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Trying to loose some weight and just get in better shape. Anyone here done it with positive results? Soon as people hear that I signed up it ohh your going to get hurt. Its like you tell people you ride motorcycles and first thing they tell you is how they knew someone that died riding.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You will lose weight. You'll probably overtrain. You'll probably injure yourself. But there will be hot chicks there in short shorts and long socks (and they'll out lift you).

3. WANABE RACER

all I see in that reply was hot chicks,short shorts and long socks. im good

six6two likes this.
  4. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Injury depends on how much that particular box teaches technique and how much you believe in technique. Overtraining is a real possibility, I would recommend some kind of HRV monitoring to aid in that regard. Otherwise, find a good box and the results/experience can be very positive. Better yet, find a box that WAS an affiliate but has since dropped the affiliation and rebranded as "strength & conditioning" or the like. That is a place that will likely have picked the best bits of crossfit and left behind the rest.

WANABE RACER and shakazulu12 like this.
  5. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Careful with the Toes to Bar....it wrecked my RC and bicep tendon.

I was in very good shape...just not used to the mechanics of these crossfit exercises. IMO you need to work your way up to them.

Good luck!

WANABE RACER likes this.
  6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

All in your approach and knowledge. Crossfit got a ton of people that would never have done any kind of fitness into gyms and getting healthier, so I can't hate it. Going further, you find a good box, with the right people and you surely can get yourself in shape. I just personally feel that someone who is not educated in form will have a higher chance of overdoing it or injury than other means of working out. At the end of the day, it's a billion times better than sitting on the couch and eating pizza from a health perspective.

All just IMHO, I know some people absolutely love it, others hate it with a passion. I like what Mark Ripptoe had to say on it, but I'm biased as I generally agree with his point of view on lots of fitness related things https://www.t-nation.com/training/crossfit-the-good-bad-and-the-ugly

WANABE RACER and Mud Whistle like this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Powerlifting for speed and time.....what could go wrong :dead:

i'll just leave this here :crackup:

[​IMG]

Hollywood, Cajun Kid, rk97 and 6 others like this.
  8. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Hard to ever argue with Ripp.

9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

25 pages.

45 if Nazif comes out of the woodwork.

Steeltoe and WANABE RACER like this.
  10. WANABE RACER

dude I hope not, ill just get it deleted.
    I should combine this with what oil to use and what tire for racing. :Poke:

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You have to be prepared to share every crossfit thing you do on social media and to everyone you meet.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, and DO NOT forget to check in every time you go. They'll toss you out of the cult if you miss any chance to promote it.

13. WANABE RACER

I must leave under a tree or something because I did not realize crossfit had such a bad rap.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No bad rap, it's just a cult. Not knowing that just means you either don't use social media or don't have any friends who do it yet :D

WANABE RACER likes this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

.....and be weary of crossfit or "bumper" plates. They are designed to make you thinking someone is lifting actual 45lb plates.

This is actually 55 pounds in total :D :D :D

[​IMG]

WANABE RACER and DucatiBomber like this.
  16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Isn't the bar 45 lbs?

obcbr likes this.
  17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Yes, yes you must be. Thankfully they are all going out of business in these parts.

18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

https://irontribefitness.com

This is the only one that I've been to that doesn't seem to have the meat sticks in there and the people are usually in the 35 and up demo because of the cost. I've met some good guys and business contacts through it and it's way more low key than the places I've seen up in nashville. They cap the classes at 20 people. If there is a location near you I recommend it.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup....they are 2.5 lb plates :D

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The Broscience video "What is Crossfit" pretty much explains it perfectly..............:crackup:

Knotcher likes this.