1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 WERA/ FUSA race

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by yamageezer, Feb 16, 2017.

1. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Good stuff, right here!

Check out the interesting advertiser at 32:49 mark.

2. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

Yes Keith Code is big in to the whole L. Ron Hubbard, Dianetics thing. I once talked to them about a job with the California Superbike School, and felt like I was joining a cult! It creeped me out so bad I never followed up with the job. Glad I didn't because I didn't even know what it was at the time, around 1993 or so when I talked to them. Of course now I know what kind of damn weirdos they are now!

Shenanigans and yamageezer like this.
  3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I love that race, and that track. Interesting trivia - Mike Sullivan, #74 in the Formula 2 race, was riding a 1989 reverse cylinder TZ250 against the GP spec 250 of KRJR. Sully has more laps around SIR/Pacific Raceways than any human alive, which is probably the reason he was able to hang with those guys.

4. yamageezer

Yep, he was flying on that thing. That track looked pretty choppy in places, although i'm sure early 90s tires and suspension played a small part in that too. Still impressed that the GSXR1100 gave the YZR500 a run for it's money, even with Rich Oliver on board.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some of that was team orders from Kenny - win but don't win too big :D

And most of the GSXR's weren't close to 1100 either...

stk0308 and yamageezer like this.
  6. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

The track is still just as choppy.

pscook likes this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yeah, they just paved over the chop so they are all the same color now. And there is a bus stop leading onto the "front straight." Rich held the track record for a long time after they put in the bus stop, but even then that track rewarded good riding over brute power or speed.

8. Michael96

Michael96 New Member

The 500's just played with us until half distance then bye...bye.

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

bad ass stuff there Dean. I was living about 5 miles away from SIR at the time.

Didn't Turkington run a 2 stroke in V1 or V2 a few years back?.....I remember chasing him around Road Atl, learned a lot. I think he was on a 'taco?

Thanx Dean, I needed that holmes!

10. yamageezer

Different Turkington, I believe.

11. CharlieY

Possible sir.....after my arse whooping I looked up the guys number here and came up with Britt Turkington....big old patch on his back too, but they did mention in that video he had brothers, so who knows.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Definitely not Britt.

13. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

The stories I have of watching Michael Martin and Britt Turkenton at oak Hill.
    Britt would show up on a katana and smoke everyone for Suzuki money.
    Lol.
    Michael was always a winner kicking butt on Suzukis there.
    Both super nice guys to us novice guys asking a million questions.
    These races are what fueled our desire to race.
    Back before Internet this is what we waited for every weekend on TV.
    Between Cycle News and TV we just didn't have a dedicated Road Racing magazine at that time or TV coverage.
    Folks are spoiled these days with live timing and instant results.
    Tuesday morning by 10.30 at dealership to pick up Cycle news for race results from over a week ago seem oh so long ago.
    I'm lucky cause I got to see some great racer at Oak Hill with future super stars of the sport in person.
    So remember some of the best that raced before the Internet.
    They raced in a time where only rider aids you had was a helper in the pit.
    Thanks for sharing video.
    If anyone else has any more then throw it up here so everyone can see.
    Have a great day.

Steven Isenhower #52

ToofPic likes this.
  14. 021torch

021torch Well-Known Member

Cool video. Thanks for posting.

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Charlie, you're thinking of Phil Turkington from the north east. He rode a 250 Bultaco in I believe an MT125 rolling chassis.

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. CharlieY

Sounds correct Robin, Thanx!

17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

The races were broadcast here on Thursdays, and the local motorheads got together, with training food (Pizza and Beer) and watched the Formula USA on television, for many years. Those racing broadcasts lit a fire that still burns for many. (and we were not the only ones, by the comments here). We called it Thursday Night Thunder.
    WSIR and Bill Huth's 'Run what ya brung' idea made for many interesting solutions, with the Methanol Monsters, Yamamonster, and many other 'Tuner' attempts at getting the power to the ground. Many good racers found employment in those days. Motorcycle USA has a write up for those not familiar:
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2012/04/article/backmarker-formula-usa-racing/

VFR#52 and yamageezer like this.
  18. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Oh my god I love this. Look like a wild track and some hard racing.

VFR#52 likes this.
  19. James_56

James_56 Well-Known Member

That's awesome! I can remember back in the early 90's when I first started racing we had an open practice day Thursday at Shannonville and stayed for the weekend for the Can-Am event. All the FUSA bikes there, remember being at the Valvoline trailer and hearing a crash behind me and looking over at Olivers mechanic picking his 500 up off the tarmack after dropping it walking to it to tech. Ended up meeting and going for dinner that Friday night with Britt Turkington and his wife, Kurt Hall and Don Jacks and hanging out for the remainder of the weekend. As mentioned above, VERY nice guys!

yamageezer and VFR#52 like this.
  20. Big Sherm

Big Sherm Well-Known Member

That's a damn fun thing to watch.
    They could've at least cut the grass around the track, though.
    Freaking YZR500s are racing, for crying out loud!

Scott