1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Vintage Rules Ideas

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To which part?

WERA started with production, superbike, and formula classes. Somewhere around 1990-92 or so we started to allow experts to run pipes, so the expert classes went from production to superstock. Then later down the line I made the Novice production classes superstock as well as a lot of Novices were wanting to buy used Expert bikes - but no one had the stock pipes any longer. That was also around the time that the majority of street riders would put on an exhaust as well. With electronics and such the rules have developed to what they are now.

So the last time I saw stock pipes racing (in any quantity) it was on Novice bikes.

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Rich runs stock pipes on his 45 year old rd350....

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

I ran heavy arse stock CL pipes on my CB350 in GP. Sum'bitches weighed half as much as the bike :)

4. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Stock pipes are a superior product in every way, spew, however the extra weight negates any advantage.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So.....

Anyone got a 1989 rulebook? My collection just goes back to 95 when I had to take over laying them out from Kurt. I know we have older ones somewhere but that could be buried in a box in my shed...or Evelynes office but she's out sick and I'm not texting her in case she's sleeping :D

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Then I am back to saying you should go with Production rules. I think I was the SE regional C production champ in 1989 or 90, so Experts were running production then. If you are worried about the pipes, then make it production with a pipe but not full SS rules.

7. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I believe there was a recent rule proposal in AHRMA to generally adopt the WERA 350GP Honda 350 index rules and call it "Café Class" or something.....basically stepping away from their production class rules for the most prevalent bike in the class. I'm not sure of the rules for other bikes, or what would even qualify. This could all have been gibberish as well.....

Then here is a push for production rules.

You guys should just trade.:beer:

I also think there were some recent loosening of the rules in LW production.....rearsets maybe?...no more stock seat maybe...????

I know Ken and Brad have always been proponents of production rules. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan......I don't want to race an old streetbike. I would rather build and race a racebike.

free opinions here....get your free opinions!:D

yamageezer likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Experts were running SS at that point I believe but it's been a while, the change was right around then - but I'm not going Production or SS for a Vintage class sorry. I just don't think it's a good idea.

hinshaw929 likes this.
  9. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

So, why don't 'cha ? :)

10. CharlieY

Cuz I'm 400 miles away from everything I own, living in a shoebox with 1 parking spot in the street....I haven't gotten the "beaming aboard" process down yet.

You doin Trials with Roy?

11. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

I did one and it liked to have killed me. Trying to drop a few pounds before I go again. Chris did one last weekend and missed first by 1 point.

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Hey, I have never suggested it was a good idea. I am always perfectly willing to run with a bad idea as long as there is some entertainment value to be had. If I decide to get a bike to run in this class,(and I might, but that would also not be a good idea), I would get a CBR600F and set it up with a shock and a slip-on and call it good just like we had our endurance bike set up back then.

13. CharlieY

Not to hijack here.....but OK, you know my reason....whats yours?;)

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:D

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is posted here - http://maps.wera.com/rulebook/?x=1098

PDF version is here - http://maps.wera.com/pdfs/2017 WERA Rulebook.pdf

Changes are minor but as follows -

2017 Rule Changes

Added AMA requirement to Ch 1

12. As of 2017 WERA is partnering with the American Motorcyclist Association to cosanction events. All riders at all WERA races will be required to have an AMA Membership. You can obtain this ahead of time at http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/ or at the event through WERA. Use the promotional code WEMORO so they know you’re a WERA racer when you join or renew.

Added to the contingency rules in Ch 3

5. Any issues with contingencies must be brought to the attention of the WERA office within 3 months following the event. Any issues after that cannot be resolved and the contingency monies will be forfeit.

Upped cost for teardowns Ch 5

Visual protest requiring no disassembly - $50
    Some disassembly (seat, bodywork and gas tank removal) - $100
    Removal of Valve Cover - $200
    Removal of Cylinder Head - $400
    Disassembly of the Bottom End - $750

Added AMA wording to Ch 7

3. All riders must have a current AMA membership. This includes riders who have not purchased a WERA license. AMA Membership will be available at registration or can be done ahead of time at www.americanmotorcyclist.com

Cleared up PN’s and Endurance in Ch 7

14. All Provisional Novice Riders must wear a contrasting colored shirt over their leathers. Upon graduation from Rider’s School, the rider must complete two separate events before qualifying for a Novice Status License. Under a Provisional Novice License, a rider may race Sportsman events but not a National Challenge Series event. Endurance/National Endurance events will be done a case by case basis. The Ed Bargy Racing School counts as one event for Provisional Novice riders.

Added V6 MW Rules to Ch 11

Vintage 6 Mediumweight
    Pre 1990 Liquid cooled multis up to 675cc
    Pre 1990 Air cooled twins up to 1200cc
    Pre 1990 Liquid cooled twins up to 775cc
    Pre 1990 Up to 550cc 2-strokes (250cc GP machines must run HW.)
    Pre 1990 Singles unlimited.
    ludes riders who have not purchased a WERA license. AMA Membership will be available at registration or can be done ahead of time at www.americanmotorcyclist.com

Cleared up PN’s and Endurance in Ch 7

14. All Provisional Novice Riders must wear a contrasting colored shirt over their leathers. Upon graduation from Rider’s School, the rider must complete two separate events before qualifying for a Novice Status License. Under a Provisional Novice License, a rider may race Sportsman events but not a National Challenge Series event. Endurance/National Endurance events will be done a case by case basis. The Ed Bargy Racing School counts as one event for Provisional Novice riders.

Added V6 MW Rules to Ch 11

Vintage 6 Mediumweight
    Pre 1990 Liquid cooled multis up to 675cc
    Pre 1990 Air cooled twins up to 1200cc
    Pre 1990 Liquid cooled twins up to 775cc
    Pre 1990 Up to 550cc 2-strokes (250cc GP machines must run HW.)
    Pre 1990 Singles unlimited.

16. RZ Racer

When and with what will V6MW run?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Saturdays - with V3/V5 is the current plan.

18. RZ Racer

Always a challenge finding the perfect spot.... Pretty sure some v5 guys might be bumping up, but I guess the majority of them could go to v6lw.

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Sean,
    I have a couple of friends that are going to do their 2nd event and were planning on Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta... Sportsman and Vintage... Can they do that?? Looks like Sportsman and National Challenge are there then.. Or maybe I am a dumbass and am just reading it wrong...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No problem at all with Cycle Jam - the no national thing is ONLY about a stand alone National day of races and even that can vary depending on the rider.

TLR67 likes this.