1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crf50 buyers guide

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Jan 31, 2017.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Picking up a 50 for the kid. Only looking at obvious low hour bikes all stock but appearances can be deceiving. What should I be looking for. Should it start in one or 2 kicks cold. Is any smoke even a puff normal on these little motors? Anything else to know or lookout for. Im seeing mostly 04 and up for about 750.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If it has anything "BBR" installed, dad rode it, and probably rode it hard. That being said, what I have seen is poor internal maintenance, so it would be oil concerns and maybe valve adjustments. But mostly just letting oil go and go before changing it, if they ever do.

But I would check the rear wheel and swingarm bushings for looseness/sloppy action. Spokes as well. That's the most damage that you can inflict on these little tanks unless you drive over it with a very big truck.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

FTFY

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Buy one that's not Metalhead approved. :Poke:

BigBird likes this.
  5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

A group of us bought 7 at one time, every one of them has a different starting procedure and has taken a hell of a beating. They are all being converted back to kids bikes now. Parts are cheap and even Dustin could successfully work on the carb. I dont think anyone with decent vision could get burnt buying one. They are always worth $500 in running condition.

6. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of them over the years. They're pretty tough and nearly indestructible if ridden by kids. If it's got taller handlebars then it was likely ridden by an adult and needs to be looked at harder. I've had to replace wheel bearings and swing arm bushings but that's after many hours of beating the snot out of them. Mine never burned any oil and didn't smoke, but I always changed it at least once per season.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I bought one for Tyler back in 01-02 for around 800 used. They do hold their value well.

If you get a deal, I think you would be safe going all the way back to the XR's as there have been very few changes, the CRF's started in 2000.

8. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

When I was buying mine I noticed that this bike in particular suffers from "runs great" syndrome. 2 or 3 people advertised and told me it runs perfect, then I got there and they couldn't even start it. That's always quickly followed by "oh it just needs a carb cleaning".

Man it drives me nuts when people do that.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Brand new ones do that sometimes, in the cold.

10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Broken spokes on the rear wheel are very common, use that for a negotiation tactic.

11. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

They're bullet proof really. Typical over built Honda trail bike. If the bike is completely stock and clean, it's most likely had a 6 yr old kid spend hours of smiles on it. Awesome bikes! Best advice for a kid just starting out is get the thing started, stick it in second gear and let her cruise around like it's an auto for a bit. Get a feel for it then worry about shifting. Then of course, 88cc big bore etc. The important stuff :)

Biggest failure I've ever seen is the bolts holding the footrest bracket to the cases get torn out from adults jumping the shit out of them. That's generally easy to tell if an adult has been riding one as said above though.

12. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I ended up with a Suzuki DR-Z70 instead because it's the only 10" wheel bike with both electric and kick start. Something to consider.

13. notbostrom

Doesn't the ttr50 have electric start as well?

14. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Yes, but only electric. No kickstart backup.

15. notbostrom

Thanks good to know

16. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Besides the stuff already mentioned checking the air filter is probably the most important way to see how well it's been maintained. The little foam filters deteriorate after a while and running dirt though the top end is a quick way to trash it.

notbostrom likes this.
  17. notbostrom

That helps, should these motors put out any visible smoke ever? start 1st or 2nd kick?

18. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

You might get some smoke if you leave the choke on too long, otherwise there should be no smoke at all. They are tight little motors, if they're smoking they need a top end. Usually they are 1st or second kick bikes even when cold, always when warm.

notbostrom likes this.
  19. notbostrom

Found a 2012 in decent shape but has a -1 front sprocket. Why the heck would you do that on a 50?

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

To break the ton. :D