1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey tile guys

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've decided to replace my 50+ year linoleum with tile (ceramic/porcelain). Doing the kitchen first, and to make it more challenging I've purchased 80 sq. feet of mesh backed heated flooring (kitchen is 12x12). I have some 1/8" cork to put on the slab. Have several samples, will probably pick up the tile tomorrow. Thinking 12x24" tiles. Any words of wisdom before I dive into this?

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Hire a Mexican dude.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Have you ever done tile before?

4. Tristan

Probably the best advice, but around here they're all employed in the food industry, not hanging outside Home Depot like in other parts. Plus I'm super cheap, semi-handy, and like buying new tools.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Tristan

Nope

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Tile is easy to do half assed that looks good from 10 feet but hard to do right. Don't be afraid to do it but also don't be afraid to tear up your work if it sucks.

Good luck!

GixxerBlade, helicopter99 and BigBird like this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Pay someone that knows what they are doing to help. I assure you it will save you money in the long run.

helicopter99 and noles19 like this.
  8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You mention slab, is it over concrete? Also, what's the 1/8" cork for?

noles19 likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

@noles19 might have advice for you...

i had 2 mexicans that i kicked to the curb after the 2nd day and decided to DYI.

now i know it's solid, straight and taken care of.

i cannot list the amount of things they messed up in that short time.

tile is "easy".

tons of youtube videos out there.

what i learned: the bigger the tile, the less grout you need.

from now on i will only buy the largest tile possible. eff that tiny shit.

10. Tristan

the cork is to make the heat more efficient/effective.

11. Tristan

Bought a 7" wet saw several weeks ago, was planning on doing a friends shower in subway tiles until he decided to go with the crappy plastic enclosure (preparing the house for sale). Probably dodged a bullet there...

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

One caution based upon experience....if you have never done tile before, large size tile is very difficult to level if the slab is anything less than very flat. I did the kitchen in our old house with 16" sq tiles several years ago and it was a stone cold bish to try to level. I never could get it right and had cracking problems the entire time we lived there.

13. Tristan

My main concern is keeping the tile level since the heated parts will be slightly higher than the rest. I have enough cork that I could put another layer on the non-heated areas, but I'm concerned about that being too flexy and causing the grout to crack.

14. Tristan

Yeah, I haven't removed the old flooring yet to see how bad it is. How thick can you apply mortar for leveling?

15. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

USE the little white spacers, start from an entry point that you want the tile to line up with. Use the trowel that has the ridges so when you level out the tile the thinset has somewhere to go. Use a straight edge and common sense.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You can go pretty damn thick, but then matching the level at the doors can be a problem. Remove the existing floor and see what you've got. There are some pourable leveling systems that work well. they are not cheap, but they are worth the money. Check you tube for videos on how to do it. Just be aware that someone that knows what they are doing makes it look deceptively easy.

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What heating system are you using?
    And With a 7 inch saw you might be in for a fight with cutting any thick tile, 12x24 isn't bad normally 24x24 is a pain because its awkward on the saw.
    Definitely go with a porcelain tile or atleast a porcelain glazed tile, don't cheap out on tile...

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

l
    level quick does work very well!

19. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

If you're heating the floor does a special grout need to be used that will expand and contract without cracking?

20. Tristan