1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Italian Vacation

Discussion in 'General' started by VintageWannabe, Jan 13, 2017.

1. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

Well, thanks to a post in this place a couple months ago about cheap plane tickets to Europe, it looks like I'm taking my daughter and girlfriend to Italy and France in late March. You know, I haven't really been on the beebs for several years - I'm back for a couple weeks, and you guys always find a way to cost me a few G's... I don't know why I come back.

Anyway, I have most of the trip planned out - doing all the typical touristy stuff. Rome, Pisa, Paris. I have one more day to schedule up yet though, on the way back from Paris toward Rome. I'd like to get away from the large cities, and see what real Italy is all about. Stay in a small town for a day / night, I'm thinking Northwestern Italy. I'm guessing someone here can point me in some good directions / make suggestions. We'll get there sometime in the morning on a Friday, stay the night, leave around noon Saturday.

Commence Education

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If you are close to Mandello del Lario, drop by the Moto Guzzi Museum and see the world's only 8-cylinder 500cc Gran Prix motorcycle.

3. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

We always have a great time in Italy. Bologna will give you that small town feel. There's a pretty cool little factory there that does tours too...

Attached Files:

4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Get Metalclit to put you into contact with one of his Italian boyfriends. His name is Alessandro Borannio. He will put you into contact with Alex's mom in northern Italy and ask her if you can crash there....which shouldn't be a problems because she invited lots of riders before. She's a very cool and interesting lady. Talk about getting authentic, this is where you will find it.

5. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Just before Christmas we went to Rome and Venice. Venice was great, now about Rome. Within 12 hours of being there I had been robbed twice. The second time I thought things looked a little sketchy so I put my billfold in my front pants pocket. We got to the next subway stop and my billfold was already gone. These guys are good. Hell I think they may have circumcised me too. I would never return to Rome. Yes the Vatican is unbelieveable but I just dont know if its worth the trouble. We took the train from Rome to Venice and there are tons of places that would be great to visit.

6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Switzerland around Lake Geneva is beautiful. Head north of Milan to Lake Como. Look for George (Clooney not Lorenzo). Another beautiful place with nice scenery (some of the James Bond and Star Wars stuff filmed around Como).

dobr24 likes this.
  7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

The whole Como north Italy are is a great idea and Lago di Garda is a nice cheap alternative to Como.

The Cinque Terra area just north or Pisa near La Spezia is amazing. One of the most picturesque places I've ever been.

8. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

Dude, sorry about your luck. I've been three times and always thought the stories were exaggerated. That's pretty wild.

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Plenty of stuff to see. too much actually. If you're short on time, drop Pisa. It's that tower and basically nothing else...

Have fun!

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Any small village between Florence and Siena.

11. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

Don't go to Pisa. Tourist trap.

12. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with either of these suggestions....
    Each have their own vibe but both areas are really nice...

I forget what time of the year Sienna has those horse races, when they do, it's a party!!! :beer:
    Google: "Il Palio di Sienna"
    Looks like July and August every year...

13. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

Florence is definitely worth seeing!

Robin172 likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I would hang out in Sienna. Not too big, not too small. Really beautiful town nestled in the Tuscan hills. Plenty of great roads to go out and explore the countryside. Florence would be my next recco, but its a large city and very touristy.

15. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

Pisa is a complete waste of time. Don't bother going there. It's like 25 euro's to go in the tower, and the inside looks like one of the grain bins on my uncle's farm... Total letdown.

I've been all over Europe. Rome is my favorite place I have ever been. Keep your wallet in the front pocket of your pants and have good SA. You will be fine.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

San Gimignano, Radda, Lucca, Siena.

Been there several times../ going again this year. Absolutely incredible. Florence is nice but only bearable in August when the Chinese invaders are not present.

Bologna is kickass too. :hint: ducati museum :hint:

17. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

Lake como is a cool spot to visit

18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I love Rome too. Been there at least 4 times and have never been robbed or even bothered by anyone. The trastavere neighborhood is cool.

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Verona was also a highlight in the travels.

20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member