1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insta-Pot

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Jan 13, 2017.

1. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Is it really all that?

People are just going ape shit about them.
    Anyone have one?

The wifey obviously wants to get one now. We do use our crock pot a lot. So I think it's justifiable...

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What is it?

3. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I think it's a programmable pressure cooker. I have no idea why they are so popular.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah yeah, seen those. Don't get it but I'm not a pressure cooker user either, if I'm in that big a hurry I just make something else :D

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

If we are going to discuss this let's also thrown in "air" fryers.

I'll throw my vote in for pellet smoker and Ninja blender. :D

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

I responded to a facetubes post about an air fryer the other day and still have the same question - isn't it just a convection toaster oven?

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Damn, got me again :) gty_marijuana_edibles_kb_140424_16x9_992.jpg

8. SnacktimeKC likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

We have one. Seemed like it works for it purposes, and can be a pressure cooker and also be a crock pot too.
    It will not get hot as fast as on the stove pressure cooker because it's electric, but does it thing once up to temp. Pressure cookers are not really time-savers is what I found out as it takes time to get to temp, and then time for all the pressure to slow release if you want to do it that way.

The cookbook it comes with suggest settings that are far different than the preset settings, but you'll figure out what works. It doesn't get used much, but again we don't cook home that much right now :( Seems to be well made though and it's stainless steel inside vs. aluminum alterantives. They go on sale throughout the year, for at least a couple bucks (like $20) off.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I have one. My Mom bought it for me for christmas. It's actually pretty cool. I made chili last night with it - from raw meat and dry beans to eating was about an hour. Compared to a day and a half the traditional way (soaking beans over night).

It's also AMAZING for making hard boiled eggs. They don't cook any faster, but the peel just falls off.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is the yolk green?

You can do the beans quicker by boiling them too. Not an hour but that's the pressure cooker part.

12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Not in my decades of experience.
    Five out of six times I use a pressure cooker it is for (dried) beans. They are definitely a time-saver, but more importantly, I can make a much more consistent and better textured product. I typically do one of three types:
    Peruvian; Small red; Black turtle.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No, the yolk isn't green if you only cook them for 8-9 minutes. First time I cooked them for 12 minutes and it was.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It makes a really good pot roast too. It's basically a turbo crockpot. I don't know about all the weird stuff like baking bread it it, but it's certainly great for anything you'd braise.

One thing we cook consistently is boneless skinless chicken. I'll marinate them and cook 8-12 at a time. I used to just toss them into a grill skillet but they'd get dry and tough. Now, I marinate them over night, toss into the instapot for 10 minutes, then sear the outside in the grill pan for a few seconds. They are super tender and juicy this way.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Quicker than soaking overnight, not quicker than the pressure cooker....

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Copy. Misunderstood you.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I cook mine for 11 minutes (dropping refrigerator cold eggs into a boil) and quench in an ice bath. No green yolks and peel like a dream

pscook likes this.
  18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Used to be a crock pot fan, have since converted to the church of the pressure cooker. Corned beef dinner in an hour an a half, yes please!

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

+1

20. Me 3. I was hoping for an testable instabuzz.