1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Sushi at Home

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveThompson, Jan 12, 2017.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

If all else fails and you have a good cut of fish, screw the rice and just eat sashimi :D

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Biggest advice I have is to keep everything that touches the rice, and isn't supposed to stick to the rice, wet and clean. Like sowega said: Keep a bowl of water at your sushi station, rinse your hands often. Keep a towel or rag in that bowl, and wipe the blade often.

Do NOT make your roll directly on the bamboo mat. Cover the mat with wax paper or saran-wrap, then lay the seaweed sheet on *that* and begin building your roll. You can cut the roll while it's still wrapped in wax paper, but I'd unwrap it first and cut it naked if you're using saran-wrap. Wiping your blade will become especially important when cutting your rolls, as a clean knife will go through them easily whereas a dirty knife will stick to the rice and pull the roll apart.

The last thing I had to learn the hard way was not to put too much rice on when packing a sheet. They get unmanageably thick pretty easily; just a quarter inch of rice across an entire sheet will roll up to be about one and a half to two inches thick depending on how much other stuff you put in.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Every time I've tried it always turns into a mess, never tastes as good as properly made by a good chef and takes up more time than its worth.

YMMV

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Oh man, I've had the opposite experience. Sushi at home is usually much better than sushi out, unless I'm going to a really high-$$ place. It definitely always is a huge mess for me tho lol.

Fave simple roll: Ahi, cream cheese, jalapeƱo, cilantro, cucumber.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's just japanese mini burritos, simple and yummy :D

6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Cream cheese on sushi is sacrilege.

Steak Travis likes this.
  7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

you probably like mayo

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Where's the puke emoji?

I'm a purest when it comes to sushi. Cream cheese and even a heavy dip in soy are too strong a flavor to go with good fish.

Funkm05 likes this.
  9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

[​IMG]

can respect

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

there are places in San Diego where u can get them not-mini, called Pokirrito. def yummy.

11. kangasj

kangasj Banned

We frequently make sushi on the boat when we're sailing. Nothing like fresh caught Tuna spicy rolls. King mackerel is surprisingly good too. No gadgets.....fancy rice cookers, spoons, knives etc. Just some sushi rice made on the stove, a mat and a sharp fillet knife.

12. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

You'd probably hate me, then. I put Wasabi in the soy sauce and dip the roll in that. My Japanese friend told me the chefs probably despise me lol.

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Are you both right-handed? Traditional single-sided edge knives take a little getting used to (and if like me, left-handed, a bit of a unique approach). White steel is great for sharpening but is not a typical stainless/chromium steel, so care to prevent oxidation is required. That looks like a nice knife.
    Don't limit yourself to rolls, and while soy/wasabi I think are fine for tradition, the use of colored mayoniase needs to go away-o. :D

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You could have stopped there. This entire thread is nasty. Stinky, fishy, nasty:Puke:

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Good fish isn't stinky and nasty but it still needs to be cooked. This is a lot of effort to "not" cook fish. :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's art as much as food when done right. I really like the food part, don't care so much about the art part, too cheap for that.

17. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I was a big wasabi and soy guy until I went to Japan and ate at a sushi bar. There the chef didn't put the glob of wasabi on the plate like I was used to seeing and when I asked for some he sort of rolled his eyes on my and dropped a hunk on my plate. Since then I make it a point to try the fish without soy first and only use it when needed - like when my girlfriend insists on getting the deep fried roll with cream cheese and jalapeno :D

18. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

My wife and I tried to make sushi a few years ago. The seaweed we used was really fishy tasting so it just ruined it. I don't if it was the brand we used or where we got it...or even if the seaweed needs to sit out for a while a rid itself of that fish taste. Any advice on that?

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

My wife dragged me to a sushi place once. Knowing how much work the chef's put into it, I feel kind of bad for refusing to eat it.

20. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

:crackup:My favorite roll is fried eel with shredded crab on top. No cream cheese,though.