Cycling vs. motorcycling

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Dec 31, 2016.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Alright, so I can promise the wife the costs will wane, but I'm going to have to invest in lights and get my training in while my kids are sleeping...

I watch too much TV anyway. Days are already getting longer!

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Also if you actually ride a lot, and 200 miles a week really isn't a lot. :) The cost per time spent on the bike is really cheap, even for an expensive bicycle. I rode one of my race bicycles for 6 or 7 years before I upgraded to a newer one and I was averaging better than 1200 miles a month for at least five of those years. I could get 30 miles a day just running errands and riding to work most days.

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

20-30 miles on the fat bike isn't exactly quick.

I am actually contemplating towing my bike trailer with some added weight.

Get more effort/mile and reduce duration during the week, then take a longer weekend ride.

I am averaging 13mph, but that's on a bike with 4" tires at 8psi, and gearing meant to pull its 34 lbs. ass up loose hills.

4. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Definitely get some lights and night ride, especially over winter. That's next on my list and wouldn't have killed my winter miles so much.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I've been on Zwift for the first time during the off season. Makes the trainer a lot more enjoyable during the winter months. I'll occasionally drag out the mountain bike when it's cold, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as the road bike.

6. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

What trainer are you using with zwift, i was looking at the wahoo kickr snap but wasnt sure it was worth the investment. How much a month is zwift?

7. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

If you are looking to really focus on improving your fitness and be competitive for races, an hour a day on a trainer with a structured plan/videos will be more beneficial than an hour or so cruise before or after work. Then try to get a long weekend ride in. If you are still more on the having fun side, just do what you can and enjoy.

Last year I did most of my training on the trainer (Turbo Muin trainer)using Carmichael Training System videos and a power meter, and was probably at my best fitness level ever. Using a power meter helps a ton with the trainer workouts.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I got big into XC mountain bikes for awhile and had some serious bicycles for awhile but when I went to my first few races with a buddy of mine I got my head handed to me by him and others. Wrong body build and I was out spent by teenage girls even though my Schwinns and Yetis were serious.

Not to mention I was hurting myself about once a week.

I have a pretty good hardtail now that I sometimes ride around but no interest in getting serious about it again.

9. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

unhappy wives tend to get pretty expensive.

you've only just started down the rabbit hole too. doesn't sound very promising.

you could try getting her on a bike in the spring, or even making it (selling it as) a family thing, but if those ideas fail......

10. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ I failed miserably at getting my wife into any of my two wheel time consumers but she is VERY understanding and tolerant. I would think the fact that he is putting his kids first should put him on pretty decent footing. That being said, I got back on the bicycle for the first time in about 3 months and am constantly reminded I do not ride enough. I really enjoy cycling; but running is much less time consuming.

11. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

I'm using a Tacx Satori Smart. It's one of the more basic smart trainers and it's also fairly inexpensive.

Some of the more fancy and expensive trainers will adjust resistance automatically with input from your computer/phone and Zwift. The basic trainers (like the Satori Smart) only broadcast power output to your computer/phone. You set the resistance yourself and adjust as you see fit.

Here's my setup. 30" TV, netbook and a fan on the small shelving unit.

[​IMG]

Jedb, used2Bfast, ajcjr and 1 other person like this.
  12. metricdevilmoto

A CycleOps fluid trainer. You don't need a smart trainer, just one that is "known" to Zwift.

And I think it's like $10/month. The first few month(s)? are free if you have Strava Premium.

ajcjr likes this.
  13. metricdevilmoto

I've found the Zwift workouts to be very adequate and the races are, exactly that, races. I recently did my first one and reset PBs in just about every segment because, well, racers like racing.

I hit my highest HR ever trying to sprint at the end of that race on the trainer. Seeing bikes in front of you in real time does a lot for the red mist.

Boman Forklift and ajcjr like this.
  14. caboose

How does Zwift figure out power from a classic trainer?? I'm a little confused... can't figure out much from their website.

15. caboose

Agreed 100%.

Workouts are tailored to your personal FTP and knowing that the other riders are actual factual people also sitting on a trainer somewhere else in the world is a lot more motivating than just some fictitious rider.

I stream music from Gay FM (seriously, it's awesome for workouts) while Zwifting. Just reset my FTP to 276 watts last week. Banged out the Mountain 8 course tonight with average power of 252 watts.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  16. jimmyv138

jimmyv138 Well-Known Member

I got a killer deal on a wahoo Kickr snap controllable trainer and I must say that it's a game changer. I'm about a year in to cycling but I'm hooked. My main focus is MTB but I'm trying to build a good base using the road bike and trainer. I just did over 3 hours on zwift this afternoon and love it. The controllable trainer combined with competition aspect of zwift is awesome.

17. metricdevilmoto

You need a crank and wheel speed sensor as well if you're using a "dumb" trainer.

I'm using the kit I got with my Garmin 820 and Zwift syncs to Strava and gives me what I feel is an accurate effort analysis. I like it. After a harder effort, it updates your FTP and calibrates workouts accordingly.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    caboose likes this.
  18. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I'm using a Kick Snap w/ Zwift as well, and its making the off season much more tolerable. I was doing base miles via races in Nov/Dec, and just did my first structured workout tonight. I see a few complaints about the device on DC Rainmaker's site, but so far so good.

I was able to snag one at 20% off, but its a little hard to come by those sales because they are MAP priced. There is a guy on Slowtwitch who is selling them at 20% off under the radar.

On occasion Wahoo has had the first gen regular Kickr refurbs for $650.

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I doubt I have the genetics to win mtb races, but I need a reason to get better at it.

I like being proficient at things. Maybe not great, but good. Road racing has frustrated me because I never get the seat time I need to be my best. I have no illusions about being THE best, but at least with cycling, I am the limiting factor to how fast I go - not money, equipment, etc.

It's 90% effort.

20. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Any more opinions on smart trainers? I've been doing both heart rate based training and watt based. I'm cycling at a cycling studio some days and other days at home on a dumb trainer. The dumb trainer is ok for certain HR based sessions but it's not great for watt based sessions where I'm looking to maintain a set wattage and maintain a certain rpm(you get what you get based on gearing). I'm debating just getting a good trainer for home then bailing on the cycling studio.