1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benchmade 940?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Okay, I need to grab a folding knife for my brother and I'm eye balling the Benchmade 940. Opinions? Another brand I should check out as well.

What I need is a folder, descent size, as tough as a hammer, non serrated, prefer made in the USA and not crazy stupid expensive. Prefer a non slip coating but I'm open.

and go!

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Looked at Kershaw? My brother has a ton of knives and really liked his Kershaw. Has some benchmades and many others like the one you mentioned.

3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

The SOG Flash II is a nice one to consider also

omatter34 likes this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thoughts on the length of the 940? I'm thinking it might be a bit large for a work/ daily carry folder.

5. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I carry a Kershaw Skyline daily, wearing a suit. It isn't bad because it's so thin.

Pay attention to blade material. That Benchmade is S30V, which is a premium steel. They actually made a special edition Skyline in S30V with carbon fiber scales.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thanks! What about the D2 with the griptilian grip? The blade is 3.5" the specs read like it's made for a hard beating.

I'll check out the skylines in a bit.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Zero Tolerance.

The end.

Hollywood likes this.
  8. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Rick Hinderer XM-18. He'll have it the rest of his life and pass it on to his kids. A piece of functional art.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Damn, that's sweet but too expensive. I'd like to top out at $150 but if I can do less for quality then even better.

10. I carry a spyder co daily. I didn't know it was China made. I use it for everything and never sharpen it. Great knife.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That's what I have and I've never maintained it in any way and it's still a razor blade but what I'm looking for has to be made in the USA. I'm tired of supporting companies that make shit off shore (if possible) and still charge a premium.

12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Dave, maybe a gift card to Benchmade?

Let him pick that way?

13. Been carrying a Gerber folder for 20 years. I've never sharpened it. Still as sharp as the day I bought it.

14. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Does he have a job with a blade length limit? That's a quality knife. Also not a huge fan of the axis lock, but that's personal preference and probably more to do with the forcing the clip arrangement to reverse of what I'm used to.

However, for benchmades with the Axis lock, I do really like the 710, but it's a big knife.

I have a Spyderco import (Tenacious?), I like it but I get your point. I think the Spyderco Paramililtary line is US made, though.

15. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

spyderco for the win. I love spyderco products.

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I love this place.

Dave -- don't be a cheap-ass. Go Wm. Henry.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thanks all. He's getting a D2 non serrated because of the size and I liked the "tool grade" steel I'm going to look at the XM-18 for the future.

If any of you are looking for a Gerber, Cabelas is blowing them out.

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

2 of my pocket knives are gerbers.
    Also have a benchmade and a DeWalt.

$2o, $20, way too much, and $12, respectively.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Knives to me are like watches are to others. Want the best you can afford but didn't know if price was an actual indicator of quality.

No time to research to the usual 9th degree and came tot he BBS. :D Gawd, this place is f@ckin' awesome. You can learn about damn neat everything here. :)

20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Did you get it yet? D2 is a low end steel for blades these days, will get the job done, but current steels are multiples better.