1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Ford or Mercedes van dealers here?

Discussion in 'General' started by thrak410, Dec 2, 2016.

1. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

End of year is coming and we may be looking to make a 'capital investment' on a new van.

Interested in the Ford Transit and Merc Metris.

2. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Sub'd to this thread just because I like vans. :rock:

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I test drove a metris cargo van over thanksgiving.....very impressed.

My dreams were dashed tho. I wanted a stripped metris cargo van, with some "Marco Polo" options....the pop-up sleeper, and the 360 degree rotating custom seats.....maybe the movable console....alas, no polo vans or options available in the us.

Even just the metris cargo was impressive.

Naturally I looked at sprinters as well, but didn't drive one this time. Same theme, cargo but loaded up front. I also saw a company in Colorado who installed a pop-up in the sprinters. I think the low top would work for me just fine, but Id have to see pricing to decide.

I was looking for nothing but bikes and gear in the back, but an A/C that could run on 110........the saleslady said they could install the AC underneath the van.

I haven't branched out to other manufacturers yet, but plan to.

Good luck man!.....Ill be following this one.

4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Well right off the bat it seems i can get a better optioned out merc for thousands less than the ford, which surprised me.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  5. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

It's smaller, so keep that in mind. I'm looking at metris myself.

6. derblott

derblott Well-Known Member

I test rode both the Metris and the Transit and bought the transit, hands down. No question. Depends on what you plan to use it for but the metris was noisy as hell on road, overpriced, and tiny. The Transit is money.

7. CharlieY

interesting about the transit, I still need to check it out.

I went in NOT expecting luxury from a cargo van

8. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I assume you mean the transit connect which is the smaller transit. I have a 2015 titanium "wagon" and love it.

9. CharlieY

Personally, I have no interest in something as small as the connect.

The metris is really a nice size, especially if it will become a daily driver like it will for me. The one I drove had the full bulkhead behind the seats, so I'm sure the completely bare cargo area was alittle noisey.....I would be paneling it with something, and insulating.

I may go look at Fords today.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Isn't the metris more of a mid size (mini van size) and the Transit is a full size van?

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The Mercedes' are very affordable.

12. Spooner

Yes, the Metris is a smidge bigger than the connect but the transit is the size of the sprinters.

13. derblott

derblott Well-Known Member

You should. My transit (full size, not the connect) is my daily driver as well. Only annoying thing is that I can't park in the airport garage. Otherwise the size is fine, fits into a normal parking space. I've got the short wheelbase/medium roof.

14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Transits drive great. Powerful, smooth & quiet.

15. CharlieY

I did this morning. It had the V-6 in it, 1500, short wheelbase short roof......I did look at a medium roof also.

Not bad, it drove well.

Do they put a V-8 in them?

I wondered if the short roof would fit in a std garage.....??

16. Spooner

[​IMG]

It would be close. This is my connect and a short roof transit and my van does fit with maybe 6" to spare.

And you would definitely want to do some sort of sound deadening with a cargo version. I've spent a bit of time in the red van and even full of gear which should deaden a bit of sound it's quite loud inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. Spooner

Oh and the astars van is a diesel so there is an option for more power. I don't think you can get a v8 and I believe the diesel is a 5 cylinder.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Definitely can get a V8 in the full size Transit.

19. Spooner

Nope.

[​IMG]

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh hell, I was thinking of the turbo.