1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Atlanta for Amateur

Discussion in 'General' started by etemplet, Jun 13, 2001.

1. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

gene is a vintage guy (almost as old as I am) his bike is not.

[This message has been edited by ysr612 (edited 06-14-2001).]

2. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

OPNB - Old Phart, New Bike ? ? ? ?

3. Comet117

Comet117 Well-Known Member

"OPNB"....LMAO...hehehe.

4. MarkReeser516

MarkReeser516 Well-Known Member

Try running into one of the uncovered concrete walls at about 130 in turn 6 and then tell me how safe of a track it is.

5. GSXRGUY

GSXRGUY Guest

There is no concrete wall on the outside of turn 6. I am going to assume you mean turn 5 [​IMG]

6. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

You guys have definitely got me thinking about RA.

FWIW, I'm 43 years old and I've just lost my yellow shirt. I started racing with the CMRA in Feb. at Oak Hill and currently have 4 race weekends to my resume. I prefer Sprint races and I run about mid-pack on the F3.

Crashes - 1 (lowside turn 3 Oak Hill).

Off track excursions -(turns 1,3,4,5,7,8...Oak Hill). Only 1 excursion during an actual race.

Saves - 1 (turn 6 Oak Hill)...my knee was in the right place. Damn used Michelins! I like Dunlops!!

Funny how all that stuff just kinda sticks in your mind... [​IMG]

I've also done All 4 of Code's Superbike Schools at (TWS, Putnam, VIR, Talladega GP). I've been to Oak Hill for a track day (4) times including last weekend where I performed my latest off track excursion in turn 3 (I had a plan dammit. That was the main thing).

Road Atlanta just looks like it would be lots of fun. I hope I can make it.

Cheers,
    Gene

[This message has been edited by etemplet (edited 06-15-2001).]

7. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

You must have missed the October post about MR's GNF crash. Trust me, he'd be the one to know if there is concrete outside T6 or not.

BTW - How are you healing(ed) Mark?

8. R-6 115

R-6 115 Well-Known Member

Raod Atlanta is by far the track to ride! I did my first race ever there last year. Is it to much of a track for a beginner. I think so. The 163 mph ( my R-6 )back straight into 10 a and b is a great overtaking spot. But the drop off out from under Suzuki bridge..... is nothing but a total mind worp. Crack the thottle even a little and your lofting the front all the way down into turn 12, and into what I feel is the most dangerous part of the track, a 115+ right hander with nothing but a wall about 10 or 15 feet high of nothing but concrete. not to mention that you can't even see the track under you when your under the bridge. God I hope the Barber track is that good.

[This message has been edited by R-6 115 (edited 06-15-2001).]

9. GSXRGUY

GSXRGUY Guest

Look at the map on their site. See how they number it, and then tell me if there is a wall there. There is a wall before you turn in and at the apex, but there is an open field in the impact zone. That is the same turn that DuHamel re-broke his leg in a couple of years ago when he crashed into that field. Now 5, on the other hand is where Nicky crashed this year, and where I tore my ACL.

10. MarkReeser516

That GSXRGUY can say all he wants that there is noi wall outside of turn 6 even though it does have tires covering it now. There isn't a single place on that whole track that there's not a wall some covered some not. If he doesn't want to believe that there is then he can run off turn 6 and see what he hits.

I am doing great actually. Pretty much a walking miracle to even be alive and in the shape I'm in. I raced at Summit Point 2 weeks ago and at VIR last weekend, but I'm riding like a wuss. Hopefully I'll start doing better soon. Right now my times are about 1-2 seconds off what they were last year when I was a novice. Doubt I'll be going to Road A though unless they can get the AMA to let them borrow the airfence. Thanks for asking. Hope to see you at a track sometime. If you do see me come up and say hi.

11. GSXRGIRL

GSXRGIRL Guest

Outside of Turn 6 is trees....you must mean inside. [​IMG]

12. GSXRGUY

GSXRGUY Guest

Wow...all this anger over turn 6. You can't even speak to me directly. I wonder what would have happened if I called you a cherrypicker or something. That's Ok. You will be just fine. Breath [​IMG]

BTW - I love the that before my username. If I would loose my measly 250 (it took me8 months to get) maybe I would change it [​IMG]

Oh and I have gone off in turn 6 and dirt tracked it back. Also went off in turn 5 and hit a wall that also had tires. Who know....who cares.

Back to our regular scheduled program....

[This message has been edited by GSXRGUY (edited 06-18-2001).]

13. GSXRGUY

GSXRGUY Guest

[This message has been edited by GSXRGUY (edited 06-18-2001).]

14. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

There is a wall outside of six.... waaaaaay outside of six, past the gravel trap and just before the treeline. I've seen cars skip right through the gravel trap and slam head-on into that wall. As much speed as you carry through six, it doesn't take long to travel that far.

Mark- I'm glad you're doing so well. I heard about your crash and was keeping an eye on the BBS to see how you were progressing since I (don't hate me) used to work at Road Atl. [​IMG]

15. GSXRGUY

GSXRGUY Guest

Thanks Beth.

I hear Tom's shoulder was playing Rice Krispies games with him at VIR. How is he doing??

16. MarkReeser516

No it is the outside I hit it. Go off at around 130 and see waht you find.

17. GSXRGIRL

GSXRGIRL Guest

Ok Mr. Smarty Pants, ease the tone. [​IMG] It's not like we were calling you a liar or trying to cause problems. I never knew there was a wall outside turn 6, it's obviously pretty far from the track. Plus, alot of people number the turns wrong at Road Atlanta because they count the esses as individual turns.

By the way, get better and get out there and tackle that turn!!

[This message has been edited by GSXRGIRL (edited 06-18-2001).]

18. MarkReeser516

Yeah I do get a little upset when someone tells me there is no wall in a place that I ran into a wall at. Cherry picker or something like that would have been ok especially since I'm sucking right now.

Sorry about the that.

Try going off it with no brakes and see if the gravel trap does anything for you. I actually jumped it and slammed into the wall.

Actaully don't do that it sucks and I wouldn't wish that on anybody, but next time you are there walk the track and check out the outside of 6.

19. MarkReeser516

Thanks and no hate for you everyone has to have a job.

[This message has been edited by MarkReeser516 (edited 06-18-2001).]

20. GSXRGUY

GSXRGUY Guest

This was not meant to be a debate over turn 6, but while you are walking, take a look at my legacy in 5 (big black spot).

If you happen to see what looks like part of an ACL there, grab it for me. I think my Surgeon's still looking for it [​IMG]

All views expressed here does not necessarliy reflect that of management [​IMG]