1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

so I am looking into updating my FS mountain bike. Current bike is 15 years old or so, so the technology is fairly old. Problem is, I go into my LBS and they are pointing me at $5k or more bikes. If I was an avid mountain biker that wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately I am an on again off again rider. I would like new tech but don't want to spend that kind of cash.

I know some of you love MTB bikes so are probably more knowledgeable than me, so maybe you can educate me and give some advice. Im looking for an all around bike, mostly trails but decent climbing and good downhill performance. What would you recommend, either a specific bike or must have components?

What do you do to keep the cost of ownership low, buy and sell every couple of years or?

pefrey likes this.
  2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Best bet for an all around but reasonable price bike is a Specialized Stumpjumper .

codyjphoto likes this.
  3. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Grab a new geo hardtail. You can probably haggle your way into a $1400 al Honzo. Anything with those geo numbers is a hoot, the al Honzo is the cheapest I know of however.

mike-guy likes this.
  4. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

What size frame? Might be able to work you a deal on a demo KTM.

DrA5 likes this.
  5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Just quit eating so gdam much and go run/walk outside the piss break middle of the night.

It's too much consumption people :( move that piece of lard ass it'll come off with out gimicks or fancy toys. :rolleyes: Spending money won't make you lose weight or get into shape ....

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

The new Giant Trance 2 is the tits and because Giant manufactures the actual bike you get a little more bang for the buck.

tropicoz, TurboBlew and roy826ex like this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Keep your current bike and buy a new set of wheels and maybe some new suspension? If u don't spend the $$, can you actually buy something better than your current bike?

8. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

That's part of the problem. The cannondale has their proprietary lefty front fork which is limited and you can't simply change easily to conventional due to odd sized steering stem. The shock is the same way. I'd need to upgrade suspension, wheels (they are 26"), brakes and derailleurs. I'd still be stuck with a fairly heavy frame too.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I didn't know KTM made mtbs. Some neat HT's.

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I was aware but didn't realize they were "real" bikes, I assumed they were some Chinese junk wearing the KTM logo. I was way off it seems.

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

eBay bruh. Got my BMC hardtail for $900, it was 1 year old and barely ridden, looked like somebody just ride it on pavement or fire roads for a short time, it was over $2000 new.

12. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

We have one of their full carbon 29's and it's beyond "real". Damn thing is a weapon.

13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

They make road bikes too. Both their mountain and road bikes make me want to touch myself in naughty ways. Only other manufacturer with that effect on me is BMC. Those almost Krauts make some damned fine 2 wheeled machines, whether they're pedal or engine powered.

14. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Probably a large. I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam.

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

16. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

You're right in between most manufacturers medium and large sizes.

Modern bikes, as is the last 2-3 years are increasingly running longer top tubes, shorter chainstays, steeper seat angles and slacker head angles, and bs wide rims. Most dimensions are "effective" given all the pivots in between things. At your height, cos its the same as me, my recommendation is find a bike with an effective top tube length of 605-615, run a 50-60mm stem and 740+ wide handlebar, regardless of whether its called medium, large, or extra large.

Current trail bikes, like the stumpy run ~66- 67deg head angle which is mind blowing compared to a ride from 15years back, and a rim with almost 30mm internal width even on std 2.3 shoes. The ride quality is impressive though.

At a pinch, decide if you want a dually or hardtail, and to keep costs down, you are realistically looking at alloy. Cheaper bikes tend still tend to run a 2x10, with newer bikes 1x11 and even 1x12 (sram eagle). You decide what best suits your needs/budget. & the bike industry has almost successfully killed off 26in so don't bother looking there either.

IMO the easiest way to save money on a bike is to buy last season, which in this case is still a 2016 model. Look at the equivalent 2017 model and if it hasn't changed much (e.g. stumpjumper), or you don't care that it has, go for it and haggle away. & Giant are generally unbeatable for the $$.

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I'm hoping this is tongue in cheek, else you're way too angry.

They made the bicycles before the motorcycles, then they bought Penton. The full bouncy MTBs are a recent development.

For the OP, I recommend you check out Craigslist and Ebay for a bike that's a year or two old - people get them and decide it's too much work, then sell them cheap. I've gotten a couple nice bikes for less than half retail this way. If you know of any bike shops, see if they have a small team - I recently got a very nice carbon 29er from a race team - cheap. They are always well taken care of.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Giant and Felt offer really nice bikes in the well under<$2,000 range brand new. (27.5 or 29) Trek & Specialized offer similar models but a few hundred more.

Regardless... the shop support for warranty is the most important. Ive managed to break 2 frames & 3 triangles on my bike and its a 2015 model. :(

19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Throwing it off buildings is no way to treat a bike. ;)

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Do you have a price point in mind? Obviously you will do better to buy used. Besides Ebay or Craigslist, you can try Pinkbike. To keep your cost down, aluminum frame would probably be your best bet. Weight difference from aluminum to carbon is usually around 3/4 to 1 pound, which won't make a difference if you are a casual rider.

You said a "decent" climber and "good" downhill performance. That makes me think a newer all mountain bike would be your direction. Most are more capable going downhill than up. Some of the newer stuff climbs pretty well too. All that being said, 4" travel XC bikes are pretty good descenders these days.

Then there is wheel size. This could depend partly on your local trails. The 27.5 (650b) will make the bike more nimble and playful. They always feel like they want to be jumped and whipped around when I ride them. For me though, I prefer the 29" wheels. Faster rolling. I climb better on 29 and for me, I don't feel like I give up too much going downhill on the 29" wheels on my local trails. If your planned riding is more fire road or flowy stuff instead of tight- technical, I would look at
    29" bikes. If you have tight technical stuff and want to jump the bike off every little bump or jump, go 27.5.

If you can, try to look for something with middle of the road components. Shimano XT or SRAM X-9 or XO. These groups will perform very well and not break the bank. Even some of the Shimano Deore stuff functions pretty well.

You might want something with suspension lockout for improved climbing. The brain technology stuff from Specialized works great on the climb. I'm not a huge fan of the Brain fork descending. It just doesn't give real precise feel; especially over small bumps.

I think all the big brands will work well. Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Giant, Scott. Unless you plan to race the bike or really do some shredding, Brand probably won't matter too much if the suspension and components are good.

Good luck and have fun !

jimmyv138 likes this.