1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learn me on Seattle

Discussion in 'General' started by dickie doo, Nov 22, 2016.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Ok, so I know it rains a lot, and it's $$$ to live.

What else would you tell someone considering a move there from the SE?

Annnnd go.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Seems hairy.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, less hipsters than Olympia.

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Gore-Tex.
    Good beer.
    Lots of traffic, so try to live near where you work, so you can use surface streets.
    WMRRA (Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association).
    Must like Salmon

5. I made a thread last year about moving there. We are still 2 years from moving there but that's the end goal. LOTS of good info in there.

6. dickie doo

Good to know. Thanks Alex.

I searched and can't find the exact thread... little help

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

8. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

It is only really rainy in the off season. It doesn't usually rain hard, but it does rain for long intervals now and then.

Having said that, summer here makes winter bearable.

There isn't much you can't do. If you like snow, you can visit it any time of the year. There is lots to do if you like water.

Plenty of good food. No shortage of weird people in certain areas, but lots of good people as well.

If you have any specific questions, just ask......

pscook likes this.
  9. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

If you are a firearms afficionado, leave them behind....not much tolerance for them there!

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Large volcano, fault lines, tsunami threat...
    I'm thinkin' a bug-out boat would be nice to have.
    :D
    [​IMG]

11. God dammit, I want to move to the PNW now. Shop is doing well here and my wife won't be done with school for another 13 months and we have 2 years from february 1st on the lease on our house.

12. mcarter

mcarter Well-Known Member

I lived there for two and a half years for a contract job. I'm back in Alabama now and not a day goes by where I don't miss it. One day I'll make it back! Beautiful, rain isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Summers are awesome and there's soo much to do!

crazywolf450r likes this.
  13. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

That is so good. lol

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Traffic. stupid tons of traffic. like 405N at 3pm was 30 -40 min to go 10miles. in toll lane it took 6min.

Lots of flannel wearing, IPA drinking hipsters.

Enjoy

15. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Well look who it is. Congrats on the lil bean to come bro!

16. Tonyp425

Tonyp425 Well-Known Member

Gun hatin, Killary supporters

17. dickie doo

I read Alex's post, and there's some good stuff in there.

Here's a few things I'd love local knowledge on...
    My office would be on 7th street in downtown, and I'm not interested in a huge commute, but I need a yard for my dogs. I'm hoping to keep rent under 3500 a month, but it looks tough with the current housing market insanity.

• That said, would Bellevue or Mercer Island be a good place to live?
    • Do most people in the city keep their stuff in storage? I've got way too much shit to keep multiple bikes, trailers, etc. at a single house.
    • Anywhere else I should be looking that's got a good commute and neighborhood feel for 3500 ish a month?
    • I'm even considering buying a liveaboard and having a dog walker come by daily since it would still be about the same price as renting a home
    • For those of you that have lived elsewhere, is Seattle that much more expensive to live?
    • I'm seeing a 15% increase prediction from some calculators online, but the only difference I'm seeing is primarily housing costs. Any hidden surprises in costs?

Anything I should consider about the tech job market?

18. Bellevue = Alpharetta. It's expensive and close to the city but there's still traffic. It's filled with soccer moms and has one of the best school districts in the country. It's beautiful though. My friends had a house there before moving way out into the country.

19. derblott

derblott Well-Known Member

I grew up in the PNW, currently live in Tacoma at work in downtown Seattle. Have lived all over, though.

Some folks are saying to avoid the south burbs and live in the north burbs...my opinion differs. Everett is a shithole. Stay near the water going either north or south and you're OK. Commuting is better from the south because you avoid UW/northgate which is pretty much a parking lot 24/7.

If you're going to try and live in the city with a dog and bikes you're going to have a bad time. I have several of each, and chose to live in Tacoma, where we have a nice house on the water above the bay. Have you considered buying? 3500 a month will get you a mortgage on a 600k+ house which is quite a bit of house outside of Seattle city limits.

The eastside is best for commuting, but it's expensive. The tracks are in Kent (south of seattle) and Shelton (south and west, on the peninsula). South of Seattle is a better option for tracks, and then you're closer to PIR/ORP as well.

Housing is the primary difference in cost of living, although eating out can be expensive too. Gas and groceries are reasonable.

I'm a senior manager at Amazon and have opinions on the tech market as well, just let me know what specifically you're curious about.

pscook likes this.
  20. dickie doo

Well, I live in East Cobb, so that's not too bad. :) My girlfriend is considering the move with me, so she'd be in the city at the Children's Hospital.. which is why I want to keep the commute to a reasonable distance.

Thanks for the info! I sent you a PM, but I wanted to address the rent question. I currently own a very nice piece of property in the middle of a very desirable suburb north of Atlanta, so I'd rent that while I gave Seattle a shot. I wouldn't want to own quite yet until I got my feel for the place.

What's the commute to Amazon from Tacoma?