1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Generations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've decided that I want to add an R6 to the stable. I need something faster than my ultralight machine to recalibrate my sense of speed so I stop chickening out at the end of fast straights by rolling off way too soon, braking way too soon and enjoying a leisurely coasting session to the apex. I also need to learn to work the gearbox more which I hear all my MW friends complaining about.

I'm also fairly certain I'm not going to actually race it, just track days/open practice. I've been 'that guy' with expert plates turning sub-novice times in a class before, I got away with it on a motard 'cause the overall speeds are down which is NOT the case in middleweight.

So, track day / practice mount, which means I can leave lights on it for street duty, ok. As to why I'm stuck on an R6 vs any other MW, I like blue right now.

Is the 2nd gen (03 to 05, EFI vs carbs on the prior gen) radically slower than the 06 and up bikes? (Seem to be cheaper used.) Any R6 specific things I should be poking at when looking at used machines? Any compelling reasons to ignore the 2nd gen and go newer? In short, school me on these things Beeb!

RedReplicant likes this.
  2. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

I am sure others will add more info:

2006+ have a LOT of interchangeable parts.
    2008+ are virtually identical (tons of parts)
    2006-2007 had "gas tank rubs on ground" problems when low-siding so look for bondo on the tank
    2006+ the forks are the "weakest" part and tend to bend in a crash. Check them. They can be straightened of course.

There is a significant performance increase when you get to 2008/2009 which makes those the sweet years. 2006 is a significant improvement over the first two gens of the R6. I would aim for a 2006+ even for a track bike. Cost should be lower overall since there are a LOT of parts out there.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I agree with much of what is posted above... however, I have raced the 2nd gen 3rd gen since 2004.. and i for what you are lookin to do, I would get a 2nd gen R6.. 03-05 or ANY "S" model. why? they are outstanding track/race bikes.

The standard forks of the 03-04 and "S" model give amazing feedback. brakes were improved with the 05 and the 3rd gen r6 (06-current NON s models) but that's not what you are after.

HP: the 2nd gem motor makes the SAME MIDRANGE power of the current r6. Yes. The same. it's only down on the very top of the rpm range. And the 2nd gen actually STOMPS the 06-07 r6 due to that model not having the variable velocity stacks (no bullshit, the 06-7 is anemic in the midrange). Also, the 2nd gen will have steel valves, for more durability (but tiny bit less power/accell obviously as they are heavier), and you can get a 2nd gen for WAY less than any 3rd gen.. because most today think the 3rd gen is light years better. the 08=current is better in many respects, but not light years better for most riders.
    If you have $7000 burning a hole in your pocket, sure, pick up an 08-current bike. otherwise, get a 03-04/5 or S model, for a song, and go have a ball.

rk97 and emry like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

03-05 will likely be significantly less $$ than an 06+. If you can find a clean example.
    06-07 have a few issues but not anything that cant be fixed for a few bucks.
    08+ will have minor differences (if racing SS) but is a more refined version of the 06-07

All things the same... buy the latest model with the most amount of parts you were going to change. (suspension, fueling, rearsets, etc)

People part the 06-16s out like crazy too!

5. Guns Akimbo

Guns Akimbo Well-Known Member

Regardless of any year R6 (from 2006 on) I would get a set of tank sliders. If you happen to crash just the right way, you may end up with a fireball where your bike used to be.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i couldnt imagine not spending a little extra $$ for fly-by-wire on the 06+. i raced a CBR for years and wont go back to a bike without it.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've never ridden anything fly by wire that I know of.

8. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I have an 06R6s. Absolutely love it. Put a Traxxion kit in the forks and a Penske in the back.
    Had Huey put a PCV on it and it dyno'd at 112HP on pump gas. Corners low and goes fast. That's all I need.

9. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

I am so used to wringing their necks that I completely forgot about mid-range differences :)

Are 08+ R6s really that much on the east side? Out here in CA I see them track ready for much less all the time. Cheap enough that I keep thinking about grabbing a 3rd (until I try and clear it past the finance officer that is).

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

For a track/street bike the 03-05's are hard to beat as far as 'maha goes.
    For a track only/race bike they are obviously not the answer, but that's not your point in getting one.

11. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

03-05R6 / 06+ R6S (same bike for the most part) for the street & trackdays hands down. 05's are the priciest, that was the only year that that generation come with inverted forks. You can find a decent well sorted track bike for $2000~$3000.

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

The only downside of a 03/04 / R6S is having dick envy over the newer bikes if you're one of those guys who likes shiny shit. I love mine otherwise, I've only got maybe $2600 into it and it still pulls for a 600 with 50k miles on the motor.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. MELK-MAN

i would beg to differ... i would bet a decent sum that in the AM class, or many experts, at most tracks, they will finish better and potentially do better than many riders on the 3rd gen bike (assuming both bikes were in similar condition). The 3rd gen is a riders bike. You have to push it to make the stiffer chassie give feel. the 2nd gen bike was 'sofer' feeling, and gave way more feedback for most riders. feedback is what instills confidence. confidence equals going faster...
    outright top end speed, like at Daytona, the 3rd gen will go faster. but off the corners? from corner to corner? a good condition 2nd gen is right there..

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. MELK-MAN

you will pay $4500 easy for a street only 3rd gen in decent shape. No suspension work, no nothing, i'm talking a street legal plated bike.. a well sorted track 3rd gen without a lot of miles and not thrown down the track a dozen times ? $7000 and up.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

I agree but will add a little since I just went thru purchasing a 3rd gen a few months back. Obviously 08+ is the best bike out there right now, but lot of people automatically overlook the 06-07 3rd gen due to the motor issues and lack of midrange. I picked up a decent 07 with 5k miles and all the usual supersport mods for $3500 this summer, and had a few to chose from in the $3500-$5000 range based on how fancy of a suspension I wanted. If you don't need the latest and greatest, you can get the 06-07 third gen that is 95% of the same bike as the 08+ for half the money.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

What about a '99? Ive been pondering one of those as a move from vintage bikes..........yeah not joking.

17. MELK-MAN

the midrange on the 06-07 is outright anemic... it's pitiful. OVER 10hp in the midrange down on any good condition 2nd gen r6 or 08-current 3rd gen R6. You can't fix this for $1000, or even $2000 if you don't do it all yourself (entire wire loom, airbox, ecu, tank, etc. ) then there's the triple clamps and frame cross member (right below the airbox) that make it very rigid. this can be resolved with a hacksaw and $150 used 08-current lower clamp..

I agree, if you outright have to have the 3rd gen look, and are just having fun, the 06-07 is a BARGAIN as almost all that race it know it's not the best bike to get, and it's driven the price way down... my opinion, you could get a good 2nd gen bike for that $3500-5000 and it would be a better track bike (just my opinion, having raced a bunch of both 2nd and 3rd gen bikes)

Ed610moto likes this.
  18. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

Ok not too far off. I see a lot of "track" ready bikes (i.e. track fairings added and nothing else) for sale here below $4,500.00. Just saw one go a couple of weeks ago for around $3,000.0 that had been low sided and the rider sold it as is.

No upgrades to suspension, etc. just a tracked 08+ R6.

19. MELK-MAN

some good deals will come along if you look hard, and get lucky. no doubt. but I also see a lot of 08-current, well sorted bikes (yec box or FTECU, good suspension not just revalve stock boingers).. with low mile or rebuilt motors, going for $7500+

IF the "4th gen" new r6 was night and day improvement, i suspect the prices on 3rd gen bikes would have been pushed even lower, but not when the new bike is $12k OTD and not that much different.

20. yzfr6i

yzfr6i Member

'99-'05 was slimmer in the tank and seat, and very easy to move around on. It also felt more planted in the turns once you were able to crack the throttle open and get some weight to the rear.

My 2010 is wider, and not nearly as easy to move around on. (Having short legs makes it even worse.) The harder you push the bike the more planted it feels, but it can get upset easily while leaned over. It's almost like it gives you a warning that you screwed up, and it saves your butt the first time. But if you don't correct what you did to make it mad, it will eventually just spit you off.