1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Vintage Rules Ideas

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

How about a Vintage HW Twins Class. The TL's, RC's, 749/999 and previous Ducs. GP Machines legal too?

TLR67 and VFR#52 like this.

#156 Well-Known Member

Sorry dave i have to disagree on monoshocks . I agree with ya on no thruxtons and air cooled bikes of that era.When tim joyce raced his thruxton it would have been to much advantage. v-4 rules are good the way they were, but no one seems to want to build a bike for the class for some reason.My 2 cents for what its worth. I will go with whatever sean decides.

#156 Well-Known Member

Put tim joyce on anything and he's hard to beat regardles of class. Why do you think v-4 is run behind these classes. Cause the era of these bikes are behind these other classes. Put good riders on anything and they will win.

joec likes this.
  4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Just have Broome buy one of every vintage bike ever made and use his times to reindex the entire vintage rules structure

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rob is a good mark for the bike.

You definitely have to factor who is riding when looking at laptimes - and track conditions and everything else of course. When comparing bikes I try to find bike/rider combos that I know, doesn't really matter if the rider is fast but that does help. Just helps if I know the rider and their ability level to judge the bike.

stk0308 and VFR#52 like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They weren't competitive in a class built just for them :crackup:

I couldn't resist :D

yamageezer likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shouldn't we use someone fast?

:crackup: It's a pre GNF slay!

stk0308, 50Joe, VFR#52 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Mongo, I like the idea of a FZR 600 class even though I've never rode one. I think it would be great if this was SS mods only. Pipe and shock mods only. No flat slides, no pods, no wheel changes. Truly an entry level class as you can buy these all day on any craigslist for little money.

yamageezer likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

SS is tough given all of them that have been modded past SS rules - and there is the FZR 600/400 combo which is just plain fun.

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. Outsider V6 V7

But the Hurricane and Katana will be legal for this class?

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe? :D

Sorry - in GNF mode not next year rules so off the top of my head not sure what specific years I was thinking if I didn't post it earlier. Even if I did, ideas are welcome. I believe I was thinking same era as V6 is just add a MW - or look at the era before the F2/F3 and allow those MW machines.

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

I think the FZR600 in supersport would be a great idea.

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Have your buddy come out and run a Clubman race where it's already legal (SS rules theoretically, just don't be too "superbikey" and he'll get by). I don't remember the displacement of a Thruxton, if its under 883 it could be a D-Superbike as well. Unfortunately, from what I've seen at Mid-O, those bikes are mostly competitive against themselves...

Wade Parish likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, there's no way to make a class where they're competitive other than against themselves. Just too odd of a bike.

15. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Allow gs550 and seca 550 in v4 the same 3mm overbore the kz/GPz 550 is allowed to have.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

So, tim joyce allowed in on a thruxton, with one spark plug out. Fair?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So, V6MW - gimme input. Year limits same as LW & HW? Any specific models that should be excluded or included?

18. Outsider V6 V7

All Hurricanes should be legal as they were unchanged from 1987-1991. I think any year FZR 600 would qualify as well as any year Katana.

19. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Why is the gs500 relegated to V5 and not allowed in V4? When I was racing against Sam Williams his 3mm over gpz550 made over 70 hp vs my 42 hp from my stock engine. Graver will verify that you can't get big hp numbers from this engine. I'm not asking for an exception to be made, was just curious what the reasoning was. Thanks!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because it's Vintage which is racing determined by the year a bike was made not the power it makes or how it handles or the like. We have made exceptions for models that haven't changed since they were introduced but the model has to be the right age.

Wade Parish likes this.