1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Vintage Rules Ideas

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Sep 29, 2016.

#156 Well-Known Member

I"m with joe here . As for your rule change, i think you need to do something to increase attendance, not sure this is answer but i'm open to all suggestions.If more bikes start to show so will i.

#156 Well-Known Member

I would be open to this.

rk97 likes this.

#156 Well-Known Member

I like this idea sean . Might make me more competitive in v-5.

4. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Sure... So I can put 851 heads on my 750 ... If that the case ... See you in V-4 ...

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wasn't talking about Ducatis I don't think.

#156 Well-Known Member

Come on doug. You know what sean is talking about.

7. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

After seeing how many 200gp and cb160s were at vintage fest, I got to wondering if that was a class WERA has tried before?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

8. 90kacoupe

Also maybe performance indexing thruxtons into a vintage class.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, no one ran the class(es). Just not enough interest in the little ones even though there are occasional big turnouts at special events.

10. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Thruxtons inV4 and bump toV5. Performance wise they fit great. Looking at laptimes they won't be the fastest V4 bike but that's a class that needs help and thruxtons need a class.

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

No Thruxtons in V4. What lap times are you looking at? In AHRMA, the Thruxtons run in SOT3 mid-pack. That's SV650 fast. Wait until AHRMA posts their Barber times nd then compare TransAtlantic Challenge with Vintage Superbike Middleweight (GPZ550's etc). That will tell. If I'm off base, I'll support the change. I'll say this about the Thruxtons I've practiced and raced with: Some of them (Blankenship, McLendon, Canale) are fast, predictable, good riders. The other half are wild and unpredictable and downright scary. Swooping erratic lines, all over the place, . . . .

If You're going to tweak V4, let vintage, i.e., air cooled, single cylinders in regardless of twin shock (now) or monoshock (currently prohibited by the catchall rule: "no monoshocks"). The performance limitation is the aircooled which truly is vintage. Don't let the modern watercooled super singles in.

Cheers,

Dave

V5 Racer likes this.
  12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I know I'm out of my element here talking about v6 LW down.
    Cause honestly other than looking at the bikes and watching at GNF I don't keep up with them.
    But when RPM ran in Texas I had the pleasure of putting all the vintage bikes on grid in a place where they could be on track with other classes.
    So I went around and collected lap times so that they wouldn't get caught out in a money race with other classes on grid.
    Now I know times have changed and turn out is light. We actually had a bunch of v6 down vintage bikes.
    But I've found that a good rider can definitely make a bike difference.
    But that aside I'm with other guy about looking at Barber lap times as a starting point for adding bikes to a class.
    I'm sure everyone will have their thoughts.
    But I think what is needed is for the vintage guys to all have a sit down and bounce ideals around.
    Maybe after that they can put it on paper and send it to Mongo.
    It may cut down on the chatter and help all to help grow vintage.
    Vintage is a side deal for Wera and I'm sure we want it to grow and get more racers on grid in all vintage classes.
    Also I know some guys who race vintage don't get on here. And they may have some good ideals that no one has thought of.
    I will be 1st to say I don't have a clue on performance index of these bikes.
    But I'm sure the guys who race them do.
    Look forward to seeing everyone at Barber.
    Steven Isenhower #52

13. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

1:47:238 was the best time. This was from Rob McClendon who is as close to being a professional rider without being one. most of the riders were much slower than that.

Robs time is a good time for formula 250 or a V2 bike.
    Noticed the 250gp winner did 1:51's

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    VFR#52 likes this.
  14. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

The best Thruxton would have placed about 5th in MWSB which is close to V4

15. 90kacoupe

The reason I suggested the thruxton Idea, is because, a buddy of mine also started racing this year. He is a mid pack rider. I asked if he wanted to do any WERA rounds and he said "not really, because we don't really have a class that we are even remotely competitive." Hopefully we can figure out something, it is possible I could get 2 thruxtons out with me next season.

16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

If Rob did a 1:47 at Barber on a Thurxton, than that bike definitely fits in V4.

V6lw, V4 and F-2stroke still run together right? I was turning 1:40's in practice on my V6lw bike at Barber. On my RZ I did 1:42's which was legal for Formula 2-stroke but I ran it bumped up into V5. If pushed hard, I could have dropped my times further.

Formula 2-stroke and V4 should "in theory" run similar lap times but they haven't in several years. Put Tim Joyce on a proper V4 bike and he is hard to beat on a proper Formula 2-stroke bike.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. 90kacoupe

My buddy was running mid pack at 2:00's

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

No, the best Thruxton (McLendon) would have won Middleweight Superbike. But, Paul Germain (Middleweight Superbike and ex-pro-Canadain racer on a brutally fast Seca) would have been right behind him.

Ok, so I stand corrected. Thruxtons are close to V4 bike times. Depends on who shows up. Let 'em in. Don't forget I told you some of those guys (Walt Bolton, etc) are scary as Hell in their riding. I will appear at the appropriate time to remind you of that.:blart:

Add monoshock aircooled singles (i.e., vintage singles, not the modern supersingles).

Cheers,

Dave

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

From a cheap guy, a place for 16" wheel EX250's to actually be reasonably competitive would be HUGE. I have often joked about trying to get a spec class for that bike. Only mods allowed would be stainless brake lines, spring changes, bodywork, and controls. I'd even prefer to keep stock exhaust and airbox, but that's probably greedy :P

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

IN!! unless somebody buys mine:D