1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

911 Tire bead wont seat

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fullmetalF4i, Sep 8, 2016.

1. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

I've got a new rear tire mounted on my supermoto and I can't get the last bit of beat to seat.
    I've tried soapy water, windex, wd40, I've broken the tire completely back down and reinstalled it, I've put pressure on the side opposite of the trouble spot, I've gotten the trouble spot to move around the tire, I've hit it with a hammer, I've bounced the shit out of it, I've tried a ratchet strap, I took the inner tube out and reinstalled it thinking maybe it wasn't sitting in the tire correctly and probably about a dozen times I've deflated and reinflated to nearly 90psi.
    I leave for a race at vir tomorrow, what else can I do to try and get this thing to give me the last little pop

2. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Got a rim lock on there by chance?

3. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

No rim lock

4. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Sounds like you covered the basics already, so I will add this: Try tire warmers before mounting the tire.
    I only had to resort to this once, and that was for a heavy cruiser tire, but it worked.

5. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Ah, just thought maybe an overlook in a hurry thing...good luck!

6. +1. Tire warmer. Soap the f out of the tire and rim again. Strap it around the outside of the whole tire but make sure it's not too tight or it won't seat.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

If you do your own tire mounting...go to NAPA and get some Ruglyde...best lubricant for tires. I bought a gallon years ago, still have 95% of it. A few drops lubes it up, within a half hour the stuff is gone, no water, no residue.

Wheel Bearing, Phl218 and kbro45 like this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Try blasting air in it soaped up with the core OUT of the stem.... Once beaded pull the core and apply more air

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

This might be too late, but put a ratchet strap around the tire with it deflated, placing the ratchet at the spot where the bead won't seat. Tighten up the strap until the tire just starts to collapse, then air it up. Also with the epic amounts of soapy water.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's got a tube - run it :D

boxcrash likes this.
  11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

soapy water is terrible tire lube. it always seem to get not-slippery right when u really need it. get some real stuff.

if this was a tubeless tire, id suggest keep going w/ the pressure. my record is 145psi on a run-flat auto tire. but not sure about a tubed tire. either way, once u get over the max pressure, i hope u have it on a long hose and are standing back

12. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

Dawn dish soap. Smear it on with your finger. Only thing that works on my sumo wheels.

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Lol, been there, done that.

A word of warning - that tire inflates a little more quickly with the valve stem out and the beads seat simultaneously (and fast as shit).

boxcrash likes this.
  14. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

Yep, when I turned wrenches on cars for a living that is how I always had to do the wider, super low profile tires. I always did them all that way, pull core, hit with air until bead pops(always makes you jump), pull hose, put in core. Adjust air.

Real stuff does work better than soap, but soap does work when there is nothing else.
    Some wheels have to be careful about the soap having a degreaser eating away at the tires on that bead and also causing some weird crap to go on at the bead/rim area, causing odd corrosion there as well. More of a bigger problem with wheel corrosion on cars that have steel wheels, but have seen it on the powder coated alum car wheels

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  15. Use the off-roader trick of an accelerant sprayed in the tire and light it up :)

Phl218 likes this.
  16. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

^^^ yup, some propane and a bbq lighter, BANG, its beaded.

17. That works great with non tubed tires...

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Ive seen that in person, from a desert buggy guy in 05. I don't have the courage to do it.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Done it on car tires, especially in winter. It's....interesting and scary as shit. :D

20. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

On my little cbr 125 I have to manipulate the tire by hand to get it to pop. I found some side pressure where it wont seat and like 50psi goes a long way. 90psi routinely does jack shit to the front tire even with a tire warmer.

140+ .... youve got to be fucking kidding me! nope.. nope. nope. thats scary shit. i dont have a cage in my garage to try that